Outdoors
Sponsored by

Healthiest Dog Food

2,725 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Noname124398
Paul Dirac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Store bought
or
2. Home prepared (not raw)

Not comparing the two types but which store brand do you recommend or how do you prepare dog food at home?
Old RV Ag
AG
dr_boogs
AG
Here. we ..go.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I prepare meals for my children and buy Purina Pro Plan for my labs.... some nights it's up for debate who eats better
AJ02
AG
If you're referring to raw when you say home prepared, I do know that it's a lot more complicated than it seems. You have to make sure you balance the nutrients correctly. It's not as simple as throwing a pound of raw ground beef or raw chicken in their bowl and calling it a day. From what I've researchedit's way too much work and expense for me to consider doing raw.

For store-bought, Victor is typically pretty highly rated and a good value.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Over the past 7 years I've been through all kind of store bought foods. Probably 40 different brands.

Tried the homemade food route. It was expensive and time consuming. If you got **** to do. Its not a good idea. If you are retired or something and ain't got **** else to do, its fine for that.

But the point is that my dog does best on Purina pro plan.

Would have saved me a lot of grief if I had tried purina pro first.

Thems the facts as I see them.
CactusThomas
AG
All store bought dog foods are trash.

I get those little bitty fish eggs and pour cognac all over them twice a day.

XO or GTFO.
Serious Lee
dog food has got to be the biggest marketing gimmick/false advertising product available. Buy the cheapest **** from tractor supply/wal mart and get on with your life
longeryak
dr_boogs said:

Here. we ..go.
Here comes the veterinarin to tell us Purina One or Purina Pro Plan for premium dog food because Purina scientists have way more funding for research and way more experience in this arena. Plus Purina has better QC.

Our vet had us move to a Purina product, for the above reasons, from a 'premium' grain free product and our dog's general health/well being improved noticeably. Kind of ironic with another brand plastered all over his group's office.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
longeryak said:

dr_boogs said:

Here. we ..go.
Here comes the veterinarin to tell us Purina One or Purina Pro Plan for premium dog food because Purina scientists have way more funding for research and way more experience in this arena. Plus Purina has better QC.

Our vet had us move to a Purina product, for the above reasons, from a 'premium' grain free product and our dog's general health/well being improved noticeably. Kind of ironic with another brand plastered all over his group's office.

9 edits and this was the final result? Hope you have gatorade and aspirin nearby this morning!
AgBQ-00
AG
Can we sticky one of the dog food threads?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Purina Pro Plan
FJB
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've gone the "make it at home" route. The recipe was in a book from a veterinarian I knew. He put the book online for free, so no real skin in the game as far as profit goes.

EDIT: We made the food ourselves at a time when we didn't have kids. It is time consuming and expensive (I generally think all dog food is expensive though). Our dog had gotten sick, and we were looking for anything to help. We expected him to live one more year, and he lasted about 8 healthy years more. I'm not gonna say it was all diet, but in our situation, I certainly think it helped. Along with probably a good bit of luck.

https://dogcancerbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/14-fadklafjalkj342l3kjlkbj9p3.pdf

longeryak
Milwaukees Best Light said:

longeryak said:

dr_boogs said:

Here. we ..go.

9 edits and this was the final result? Hope you have gatorade and aspirin nearby this morning!
I'm presently on concussion protocol and not supposed to be doing any screen time nor alcohol. Oops,
Cromagnum
AG
CactusThomas said:

All store bought dog foods are trash.

I get those little bitty fish eggs and pour cognac all over them twice a day.

XO or GTFO.

Ok Hagrid.

Noname124398
Victor Hi-Pro has been great for my two goldens. They have been on it since they were weaned and are now 2 & 3 years old. I supplement fish oil daily and the occasional raw egg/meat/etc on top as a treat.

Zero health issues/allergies (in a breed known for having issues with both), small and firm stools, beautiful coats, and great physique. They are working dogs and expend a lot of energy daily. May be too calorie rich for couch potato dogs but it has worked great for my two.

https://instagr.am/p/CN7vXuWjb6v
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.