Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best mosquito traps/spray/etc.

7,897 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sazerac
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting to be that time, let me hear your recommendations.
Already on the cleaning of gutters, ground water, etc. I'm looking at possible UV fan systems, propane systems seem pricey...
fightingfarmer09
Malathion.

DEET.

Everything else is just trying to replicate their success.
RebelE91
AG
I'm a big fan of the Cutter yard spray you attach on the garden hose and comes in a gray bottle. It has always done the job for me.
Fleen
Follow up, need to be dog/cat /chicken /people friendly...
SharkinAg
AG
Just recently purchased a mosquito magnet patriot. Doesn't work worth a damn without the atrakta lures. They just came available after discontinuing lurex. Very pleased. After two weeks my mosquito population is pretty much gone. Only downside is it's expensive between the unit, propane, and lures. Plus I've known some units to only last two years. My parents have been using them for at least 8 years.
planoaggie123
AG
I don't want to jinx myself but I am self spraying a mixture of Cyzmic CS and Nyguard IGR with Mosquito bits for some gutter pop ups that hold water. Apply every 30 days.

So far it seems to be working really well.

So far this spring We have had several evenings on the patio and not one bite. Last year we couldn't stay out for more than 30 min without getting bit. I feel better too about it working (and not being luck/timing) as we were at a friends place down the road today and got bit several times.

www.domyown.com

trip
AG
The mosquito tennis racket has been fun for the few that have made it to the back porch. Still need to do better on the primary defense
BurnetAggie99
Demand CS and Archer IGR every 90 days best protection
EFE
AG
Spartan traps are pretty good
TheAggiesAreWe03
AG
EFE said:

Per the website, it's recommended to hang these in February for Houston.

Just curious if anyone has put them out later (as in mid-may), and had success?
Bregxit
AG
EFE said:

No they aren't.

https://colinpurrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/aryaprema-et-al-2020-jfmca.pdf

https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/58/2/767/5921702
Aquin
AG
One large bottle of cheap mouthwash
Three cups of Epsom salts
Three cans of beer

Put it in a pump up sprayer, and spay your patio. Depending on the weather, it will last two to four weeks.
BMach
AG
Bregxit said:

EFE said:

No they aren't.

https://colinpurrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/aryaprema-et-al-2020-jfmca.pdf

Interesting, I've had good luck with them, but maybe it's just the placebo effect?
HoldMyBeer
AG
BMach said:

Bregxit said:

EFE said:

No they aren't.

Interesting, I've had good luck with them, but maybe it's just the placebo effect?
I tried them last year in Houston. Changed them after about 3 months. Hung them up in the back corners of the yard under trees. Mosquitos weren't bad, but when I looked in the traps, I never really saw much that would indicate that they were effective.

Bought some Cutter's but can't wait to try the mouthwash & epsom salt.
BMach
AG
They aren't designed to trap the mosquito, they are designed to make sure no offspring lives
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I hung mine and my neighbors last week. I sprayed with malathion and bifenthren and then hung two tubes per property. Has been lights out since then even with the rain. I'm in Victoria
Bregxit
AG
BMach said:

Bregxit said:

EFE said:

No they aren't.

Yep. I had the same experience. Tried them a few years ago and thought they worked great. Kept up with them for a year or so. Second year had the worst mosquitoes ever. Something else kept them at bay when I thought they worked. They're snake oil.
carl spacklers hat
Permethrin FSR 37% in a hose-end sprayer. Adjust for concentration. Spray after a fresh cut lawn, evening with no wind = no mosquitos. I'll spray twice a summer, once in mid-May and again late June and I have no mosquitos for the season.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Would any of this be affective in a place like the coast where they are absolutely relentless?
bam02
AG
They can definitely be effective at the coast or anywhere where they are thick. One of the big limiting issues is your yard size, though. At my last house I gave up because my yard was so small that I gave up because the mosquitos would just come over from my neighbors and eat us alive. Now I have a larger lot and we are on a corner so I am able to make a big impact spraying. I use bifen.
HTownAg98
Mow your grass too. Long grass is a haven for mosquitos.
TAMUallen
AG
EFE said:

Just put out two of these and before mosquitos have been bad so we'll see if theres any improvement
Tee
AG
Floor fan with garden mesh fabric tied over outlet side and placed in breezeway between house and garage has worked well for several years.
TxSteve
AG
Bats actually make a big difference with mosquito population. Put up a couple of houses.
tfunk02
AG
This place is my go to for DIY pest control...

https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-control-kits-c-94_738.html
TAMUallen
AG
Spartan eradicators did not work for me. Trying permethrin spray
Noname124398
Same verdict on the Spartans for me. Hung em up early last year and saw no noticeable difference.

All they are is sugar, water, yeast (fermentation = CO2 which attracts mosquitoes) and salt. You can make them at home for probably less than 1% of what they cost.
BurnetAggie99
Like I mentioned before if you can splurge and pay little more Demand CS and Archer IGR mixed every 90 days is the best protection.
Todd 02
AG
Aquin said:

Three cans of beer

Put it in a pump up sprayer, and spay your patio. Depending on the weather, it will last two to four weeks.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also order this at the Dry Bean.
Stasco
AG
TAMUallen said:

Spartan eradicators did not work for me. Trying permethrin spray

Try Bifen IT (bifenthrin) rather than permethrin. It doesn't have as much knock down power, but it has a much longer residual effect. I sprayed a crap load of Bifen and NyGuard IGR last week around my acre lot, along with a liberal use of Mosquito Bits in all of the standing water. So far seems to be working well.

I also have a propane fogger to knock down any stragglers, especially if we have guests coming over later.

The doyourown website is a great resource, but if any of you have a feed supply store or farm co-op nearby, you can usually find all of the same stuff cheaper.
tamc93
AG
Todd 02 said:

Aquin said:

Three cans of beer

If I'm not mistaken, you can also order this at the Dry Bean.
Needed that chuckle. I drank some weird stuff when they first opened.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
TxSteve said:

Bats actually make a big difference with mosquito population. Put up a couple of houses.
Just be sure you have the right conditions for the houses, they are tricky to get started and have some quirks that render them useless if you don't optimize conditions.

For others, it says permethrin is toxic to cats. I don't want to spring this on the War Department without backup since her dumb cat does go outside regularly, but I like the info I'm seeing on it. Just spray and make sure it dries before the cat can go out again?
4stringAg
AG
My wife got a 2 or 3 of those citronella potted plants to put on the patio. Not sure if they work or not but we've not had many mosquitos in that area this year like in years past.
DuncanLEO
4stringAg said:

My wife got a 2 or 3 of those citronella potted plants to put on the patio. Not sure if they work or not but we've not had many mosquitos in that area this year like in years past.
They might keep the mosquitos off of the pots. You yourself are SOL.
Will Hunt
Bifen.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.