Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best mosquito traps/spray/etc.

7,972 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sazerac
TAMUallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is Bifen with dogs? Especially dogs who eat grass or monkey grass that it'd be sprayed on?
water turkey
I have a bunch of magnolia trees (hate them) that drop leaves year round. The leaves curl up and after every rain, each leaf is a misquito pool. I have to blow the leaves around after every rain.

I hung a couple of Spartans but didn't notice much help. We did get 17 inches of rain in two weeks though.

I have my bug guy come and do the fogger every month and it really helps.
planoaggie123
AG
TAMUallen said:

How is Bifen with dogs? Especially dogs who eat grass or monkey grass that it'd be sprayed on?
It seems to be.

https://www.domyown.com/is-bifen-it-safe-for-domestic-pets-qa-1366.html

I think Bifen and Cyzmic are generally pretty darn safe. Not saying dont wear PPE etc when putting it out but overall its "creature" friendly (safe for elderly, low odor, etc).
JCA1
AG
RebelE91 said:

I'm a big fan of the Cutter yard spray you attach on the garden hose and comes in a gray bottle. It has always done the job for me.

After all the rain we got in May, my backyard has been overrun. Never used the Cutter spray before but just picked some up. Sprayed this morning and plan on a second application shortly. While I don't expect it to completely knock them out, I'm hoping to see a noticeable reduction. I'll report back.
BPCAg05
AG
I like the combination of bifen monthly and then Cutter the day we plan to have people over and hanging out outside.
CSTXAg92
AG
BMach said:

Bregxit said:

EFE said:

Spartan traps are pretty good

No they aren't.

https://colinpurrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/aryaprema-et-al-2020-jfmca.pdf

https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/58/2/767/5921702

Interesting, I've had good luck with them, but maybe it's just the placebo effect?
I bought a half dozen of them after reading about them here on the OB a couple years ago. I'm on a typical city lot in Austin. I put one in each corner of the lot, and two more in closer proximity to where we spend the most time when outdoors. We didn't see any difference in the mosquito activity, so I don't think they work, and if they do work, they didn't work for us.
ChAg1799
AG
Bregxit said:

EFE said:

Spartan traps are pretty good

No they aren't.

https://colinpurrington.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/aryaprema-et-al-2020-jfmca.pdf

https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/58/2/767/5921702
It just says that they don't work in areas that have a lot of fruit or sugar producing flowering plants.

I buy them and they cut down on a lot of my mosquitos.
JCA1
AG
JCA1 said:

RebelE91 said:

I'm a big fan of the Cutter yard spray you attach on the garden hose and comes in a gray bottle. It has always done the job for me.

After all the rain we got in May, my backyard has been overrun. Never used the Cutter spray before but just picked some up. Sprayed this morning and plan on a second application shortly. While I don't expect it to completely knock them out, I'm hoping to see a noticeable reduction. I'll report back.

Early returns. The beers have outnumbered the mosquitoes. I also have a Thermacell repellent going, but I'm optimistic.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Got Bifen in today and loaded the sprayer, will hit the bushes and edges this evening as it cools down. Gonna sit out on the deck for a while here in a bit and hydrate some, see what the skeeters are like in the "before" phase.
Build It
AG
DEET, and more DEET. It's really the only thing.
Ag 11
AG
JCA1 said:

JCA1 said:

RebelE91 said:

Early returns. The beers have outnumbered the mosquitoes. I also have a Thermacell repellent going, but I'm optimistic.

How much will the 32 oz bottle cover? Front & back 1 time?
JCA1
AG
Ag 11 said:

JCA1 said:

JCA1 said:

RebelE91 said:

How much will the 32 oz bottle cover? Front & back 1 time?

Says it'll cover 5000 sq. ft. My backyard is probably 1000 to 1500 and I still have almost half a bottle after applying twice.
mosdefn14
AG
Talked with a pest control guy at church yesterday, swears by a product called In2Care. Anyone use it? Any idea where you could buy it without being in a service model?
planoaggie123
AG
Just posting again to say how awesome Cyzmic CS + Nyguard + Mosquito bits has been.

First purchase was like $200. I might need to buy one more Cyzmic before end of season but worst case will be about $300 all in. The quotes we got were going to put cost for service closer to $600+

Family was outside all weekend and not one bite on anyone. I am sure it will happen at some point but this time last year we were grabbing stuff and going inside after 2 or 3 hours due to # of bites....
Bird Poo
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Talked with a pest control guy at church yesterday, swears by a product called In2Care. Anyone use it? Any idea where you could buy it without being in a service model?
Looks like you have to order and manage the trap through a service company. I would imagine a pest control rep would be complementary of them.

Kidding with you, of course. Wish I could try this system out! Seems pretty high-tech.
Bird Poo
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Just posting again to say how awesome Cyzmic CS + Nyguard + Mosquito bits has been.

First purchase was like $200. I might need to buy one more Cyzmic before end of season but worst case will be about $300 all in. The quotes we got were going to put cost for service closer to $600+

Family was outside all weekend and not one bite on anyone. I am sure it will happen at some point but this time last year we were grabbing stuff and going inside after 2 or 3 hours due to # of bites....
Thanks for the tip! Are you spraying via a regular pump sprayer? Also, how many ounces per gallon are you using for each chemical?
planoaggie123
AG
PearlJammin said:

planoaggie123 said:

Thanks for the tip! Are you spraying via a regular pump sprayer? Also, how many ounces per gallon are you using for each chemical?
I just use this guy. Not fancy but I have had ZERO issues and it has a good spray/stream. Sure, its not a fogger, but with my current results i am not sure what a gas powered fogger would add other than an additional $600+ dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E28UQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to do a few refills each time but its not a long process. I can get the whole house done in about 1 to 1.5 hours.

For application rate I use .8 fl oz per gallon on Cyzmic and

https://www.domyown.com/at-what-rate-do-you-use-cyzmic-sc-outdoors-for-mosquitoes-qa-8929.html#:~:text=Answer%3A,knockdown%20and%20last%20the%20longest.

For Nyguard, I use 4ML per gallon.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Just a suggestion- don't broadcast spray Bifen + IGR across your entire yard- the mosquitoes aren't hanging out in your well-drained and mowed St. Augustine. Broadcasting it decreases efficacy and zaps pollinators and other friendlys.

Eliminate all locations of standing water including flower pots, catch basins, gutters, kids toys, bird baths, etc. mosquito dunks where you can't. Save the Bifen + IGR for the perimeter of the house, under eaves, around doors, porches, under sides of non-flowering bushes, shaded fence lines, parked equipment, spot treatment, etc.
Sazerac
AG
Cutter works really well and it's cheap.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.