Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backyard Chickens

4,780 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jakeaggie84
Pookers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was watching some homesteaders on the interwebs yesterday and they recommended Ideal Poultry (A Local Texas business) for buying chickens.
Rattler12
What will you do when your chickens come home to roost ?
Spoony Love
AG
Ideal is a great company to deal with. I wish they would expand their breed varieties but what we received from them as always been healthy.
Hehateme1
Rattler12 said:

What will you do when your chickens come home to roost ?
Shut the door to keep the foxes out the henhouse?
jakeaggie84
AG

It has happened. Got 5 Wednesday and picked up 3 more (not sure why!) today.

Steinhausers in Sealy and Brookshire had a great selection without the controversial brooders of tractor supply.
jakeaggie84
AG
Spoony Love
AG
The "not sure why" part of the equation happens all to often.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
If any of you fellow OBers are in the Northeast tarrant county area, my wife has gone crazy with chickens. We have about 20+ chickens, 25 chicks were raising (3 weeks old), and just finished a project up at school were we did hatching eggs for our first graders class room (40/48 eggs hatched). We have silkies whom my wife is using to hatch some other eggs and they do great. We get about 15 eggs/day. So please if want, chicks, eating eggs, hatching eggs, full grown chickens etc contact me.

imahillbillyhick at gmail

ETA: we have noticed a huge difference in the health and heartiness of hatchery quality chicks versus the locally grown higher end chicks. We only do higher end chicks and eggs now due to the noticeable difference. So if you're buying and planning on keeping for a long time, go for higher quality and less (3-6 chickens)
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I'd suggest buying hens already laying.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
jakeaggie84
AG
Troutslime said:

I'd suggest buying hens already laying.

Haha. Too late. Got 8 tiny pullets chirping away In the laundry room!

2 golden sexlinks
2 barred rock
1 Rhode Island red
1 black australop
1 buff orpington
1 light Brahma

agcivengineer
AG
If your close buddy is also your HOA Board president, then you can get away with it. He might require more Blue Bell ice cream as a bribe
Well, okay then
AG
agcivengineer said:

If your close buddy is also your HOA Board president, then you can get away with it. He might require more Blue Bell ice cream as a bribe
Our HOA President has backyard chickens. And I'm the treasurer. Chickens for everyone!
jakeaggie84
AG
agcivengineer said:

Blue bell with a dozen eggs!
agcivengineer
AG
Actually, if i remember right, there is a new state law that restricts HOA and what rules they can put in place for this. I think they must beallowed as long as there is a certain distance to a neighbor or something like that.
jakeaggie84
AG
Yeah. I think it is 25 feet from your neighbors. So no side neighbors or back neighbors help a lot.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.