Outdoors
Sponsored by

Refinished Cleaver

1,992 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FIDO 96
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may cross post this. I'm currently renovating my wife's grandparents old house and there is a dairy barn on the property. I found a rusty, old cleaver and had it refinished for a gift to my in-laws. Original markings and serial numbers date it back to about 1885, which probably made the original owner my MIL's great-great-grandfather. Turned out to be a winner of a gift.
The guys who refinished it, Brackin Blades Forge, asked me if I wanted it to look completely new or leave some character. I opted for character.

AgsMnn
AG
How many chickens heads did that thing cut off?
Build It
AG
Man...... I have one and a carving knife that was my great grandfathers. I just need handles and and edge on both. Why did it need retempering?

What did they charge you? I'm giving them a call. They've been on my workbench for 20 years. Looks great.
tamu2009
AG
That is sick!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm not sure why/if it needed retempering. I'm not knowledgeable on that stuff. I just told them that I had an old cleaver, and I asked if they could bring it back to life. They definitely did that.

I'll let you discuss price with them. I'm sure they can cover the costs of what goes into their process based on your specific needs.
BurrOak
AG
I now want to also find an old cleaver to restore.
dr_boogs
AG
Between your connection to the property, family legacy, and the photos, this is OB POTD right here.
Sazerac
AG
Badass. Just needs an Agrams custom handle.
NoahAg
Am I a bad person for thinking I'd probably have kept it for myself?
DuncanLEO
That is incredible, thank you for sharing.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
NoahAg said:

Am I a bad person for thinking I'd probably have kept it for myself?

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on myself, but I'm sure it'll belong to me one day.
Ag 11
AG
That looks awesome!
FIDO 96
AG
One of the more badass things on the OB in some time
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.