Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Most Stuck You've Ever Been Apart of

6,745 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
AquaCasaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was 12 when a ranch hand stuck a super duty in drenched sand checking fences. He thought it would be a good idea to double down and tried to pull it out with a Case 5130 by himself on that same sand. Needless to say both were sitting on their frames when I came around. Pulled them out with an Allison Chalmers 210 connected to two HD trucks after a lot of digging and using long ass straps.

I've seen a D6 stuck after getting caught on a stump in sand, water in the cab of my dad's buddies duramax after he kept digging it deeper and a smart man that tried to drive across a "dry" tank bottom until it fell out.

What situations have you seen that made you shake your head or say oh sh*t?
rather be fishing
AG
AquaCasaAg said:

What situations have you seen that made you shake your head

Incorrect use of apart versus a part of.
culdeus
AG
If you are a fan of getting stuck watch matt's off road recoveries. It's addictive.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Seen some dump trailers tip over. Usually because the driver is an idiot and thinks he can do a lot of things he can't.

Was taking the kiddo to daycare a couple years ago when I hit some bad traffic in what is essentially a residential area. The next light was around a little bend, and when I finally made it around I saw the hold up. A mixer took a turn too fast and tipped over with a full load. Concrete was all over the intersection. Those things are HEAVY when loaded. Probably 20+ tons. You need specialized wreckers to get them upright and haul them away.
Tripod
AG
Sandy soil at my ranch near Shiro after Hurricane Harvey. Stuck my tractor pulling out my golf cart and then stuck my 4wd pickup trying to get the tractor. Got the cart and pickup out with 100 feet of chain and my neighbor's tractor.
Waited 2 weeks for the soil to dry out enough to dig and winch my tractor out.
magnumtmp
AG
The most memorable one for me was at a Sabine River bottom unpaved "boat ramp." No actual boat ramp, but a small path down to the River where we used to go drink beer and fish (goof around mostly). It had been raining a good bit, not enough to flood the river, but it was pretty soggy everywhere. We were in a single cab z71 with 35" muds. My buddy who owned the truck, thought it would be a good idea to shortcut the road down to the River....we crossed over the River on a bridge, but turned right immediately after the guard rail ended. I never saw the turn coming, the actual dirt road turnoff was another several hundred feet away. The embankment was STEEP. He hit the brakes once he figured out that he screwed up, which did nothing but plow the dirt and mud out of the way. Pretty sure we hit 45 MPH with the brakes locked before hitting the dirt road, jumping it, and landing in a bar ditch on the other side with standing water. Water started coming in the door. He some how threw it in reverse and 4x4 in a flash and worked back and forth to get out. It all happened so fast, the windows were still down. Mud went all in that truck, but we did get out. Yes, beer was involved.....
cavscout96
AG
I got a T72 stuck in the swamp at Ft. Stewart once.... we were able to self-recover after a LOT of digging, log-dragging, and an insanely colorful and extensive expletive-filled rant.

Dirk Diggler
AG
My dad was in the Navy and stationed at VA beach in the mid 90's. He liked to buy POS boats and try to fix them up... he wasn't good at it. We went fishing out in the Atlantic one time and motor seized and we lost all power eventually as well. We were "stuck". This is before cell phones. We didn't come home that night so my mom called police who called coast guard. Coast guard rescued us early the next morning. I will
Never forget it.

I am in the army now as armor officer. Plenty of tanks in my company been terribly stuck. Will look for pictures.
Wodanaz
AG
This mixer tub has been full of dried concrete on the side of the highway for 2 years on the way to the lease. They just cut the truck away & left the heavy thing.

Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/EV9fpzULRjhgkn2p8
C4D
AG
Stuck a 95 toyota pickup in a silty river. Sank it to the dash. Yanked it out with a tractor. Let it sit for 2 hours, Cranked it up. Only casualty was the radio.
Get Off My Lawn
Does being married for 10 years count?
VaultingChemist
AG
It is real easy to get a Cat dozer stuck, especially when cleaning out a tank. All it takes is for the tracks to spin enough to sink the dozer down to the belly pan.

My niece tried to cross a wet plowed field in a pickup truck. After it became stuck, she started the 4230 John Deere tractor to pull it out and stuck the tractor. Luckily, we had an excavator that we used to pull both out of the field.

We once helped the driver of a 130-bbl water transport truck that got caught driving down a rain-slicked dirt road. The county had put a steep crown on the road and the rear tires of the transport started to slide toward the barrow ditch. The driver stopped and called for help. We took shovels and made a long narrow trench next to the outside of the rear tires (closest to the barrow ditch) about 2" deep, angled gradually toward the center of the road. As the truck pulled forward the trailer tires followed the cut trench and the truck was able to stay centered until it got onto a gravel road.

Two years ago, another niece hydroplaned backwards off the highway into a stock tank. My niece climbed out the window before the truck sank. The roof of the pickup was 4 ft under water. A couple of local rescue divers broke the other side window out and pushed a winch line through the cab to pull the truck out.

Aggie Infantry
AG
Prepare for EOT...

As a 1LT, I was a company XO at Ft. Hood. We were doing Combined Arms training, so my Infantry Company had a platoon of M1 Tanks attached to us.

At Turkey Creek, the Tank PLT LDR got one of these stuck.

He tried to use another tank to recover - a standard procedure. But a second tank got stuck.

I was dispatched with the Support Platoon's M88

IT GOT STUCK.
Finally, a 2nd M88 arrived and was able to pull everyone out.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
DevilYack
AG
Once saw a guy bury a D9 dozer over the treads in the oilfield. I'm still not sure how he accomplished that. It took two backhoes and the biggest winch truck I've ever seen to get it out.

The worst I ever did personally was hang a 28ft trailer full of bred cows on the pipe edge of a cattleguard when I didn't make the turn wide enough. I was 16. I knew my dad was going to kill me, but apparently he had mercy. I still have nightmares about that.
jtp01
AG
Shortly after we moved to Tahoka, TX and my wife was pregnant with my oldest son, we used to enjoy riding around getting the "lay of the land". We met all of our "neighbors " this way. Driving down a county road and it had a dry" sink hole in it. We'd just bought my wife's h2 and she goaded me into trying it.

I walked about 6 miles that night and finally was picked up by a sheriff's deputy. He ran me to the house (another 1.5 miles) and I got my pickup and some chain. It was everything my 3/4 ton pickup wanted to get that car pulled out.

What started out as back road riding before a fireworks display. Turned into 1:00 am getting back home exhausted and a worn out pair of shoes.
Centerpole90
AG
Rotator with full spreader box got one side off into pipeline ROW that hadn't settled

general reference of how much is underground...

agsalaska
AG
A little different than the rest, but when I first read the OP leaving Houston for Hurricane Rita was the first thing that crossed my mind. I have never been that stuck in my life. If I remember right it took 19 hours to get from the Heights in Houston to College Station, with two dogs and my wife and I driving two different cars(for some dumb reason). After moving about 1 mile an hour for 15 hours we somehow found a road that was not on the map near the national forest. If not for that road I think we would still be stuck on that road.
Hamburger Dan
One fall, while I was in High School, me and a couple of my buddies got hired for two weeks planting winter wheat. All was good until I was told to move a truck full of wheat seed up the road. My "boss" let me drive as I was only one with drivers license. His last words were -"do not cross at the low water crossing" drive around. As expected, I drove exactly where they said not to. All six wheels submerged and the bed of the truck was nearly level with the ground. It took 3 tractors to pull it out. I got to finish my two weeks, but never got to drive again. We were in Archer County.
The Fife
The most stuck thing I've ever messed with was a 1924 Nash that had been parked in a field for decades. It needed to come out in one piece because it was supposed to get restored and had sunk part of the way up the wheels. Not sure what ever became of it but I know the engine was able to run after some work.
texrover91
AG
Not my truck but I was a passenger in a buddy's '89 Blazer - got stuck between two trees after a night of 4-wheeling

Had to come back the next day with a chainsaw to cut it out - guy wielding the saw took a chunk out of a 35" Mickey Thompson
Bird93
AG
Had a subcontractor bury a D9 to the top of it's tracks in the black gumbo at lake Caroline in las Colinas. He was about 12 yards away from the back of the bulkhead. They used two excavators to try to dig it out and help pull it free. The operation created so much pressure on the back of the bulkhead that the wall broke and flooded the pit they had created. The D9 driver had water in the cab up to his knees.

They halted ops, to repair the wall, which a took about two weeks. After pumping out what was left of the water, they finally managed to get the dozer out with the excavators and another D9. I was offsite at a meeting when it happened, so I'm not exactly sure how they managed to do it. Was just happy to see it gone.
Jason Ag
AG
DriftwoodAg
AG
When I was in high school we drove out to the Neuces River near Uvalde. After driving through the river bed a few hours, my buddy got his 94 F350 buried to the frame. We were unable to pull it out with my truck so we had to leave it in the river bed over night
MouthBQ98
AG
I got a 2wd 3/4 ton longbed stuck in a grass parking lot with very slick clay dirt on a foggy damp evening. It was so damn slick you had to be careful walking, and once we had the slightest bit of tire spin going, it was over. I eventually got my brother, got a come along and a bunch of tow straps and made a long chain to a big pine tree and rolled it forward just enough to get momentum to keep moving.

Buried a suburban to the axles trying to beach launch a skiff once. Never tried that again. Fortunately not in the surf.

Had to use the front loader and some scraps of plywood to crawfish a 2wD tractor about 200 yards out of shin deep swampy gumbo mud once. 18 inches at a time, trying to keep the front wheels on bits of plywood.
cavscout96
AG
Aggie Infantry said:

Prepare for EOT...

As a 1LT, I was a company XO at Ft. Hood. We were doing Combined Arms training, so my Infantry Company had a platoon of M1 Tanks attached to us.

At Turkey Creek, the Tank PLT LDR got one of these stuck.

He tried to use another tank to recover - a standard procedure. But a second tank got stuck.

I was dispatched with the Support Platoon's M88

IT GOT STUCK.
Finally, a 2nd M88 arrived and was able to pull everyone out.

sounds like the first 88 crew were amateurs..... those guys are usually pros at recovering stuck tanks.

in my case, were were banking on the significantly lighter T72 to run in the places the M1s couldn't follow us. Generally worked well. We pushed it a little too far, I don't think an 88 could have even gotten to us to get us out.
Allen76
AG
How about the "least" stuck? This happened a few days ago in the snow and ice.

I was at work and my wife called and asked if it was okay to take the truck into the pasture and feed the cows some cubes. Great, go for it.

She calls later, very frantic, the truck is stuck and she walked home.

A couple of days later, still slightly muddy, I walked to the truck and had to laugh. It was not sunk in the least. It had gone sideways on the dirt ranch road and was pointing a little bit uphill. The front wheels were in one of the road ruts. The rear wheels were in another rut which just happened to be there near the road.

I got in, tried to go forward (uphill) and the 4WD just spun. I put it in reverse and it backed right out of those ruts, slightly downhill. I had to be very careful not to make fun of her for this.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Back in high school I was driving a friend home late after a party (alcohol not involved) and we left the hosts' home up in the mountains. Middle of winter, switchbacks and no street lights. Knew it was getting icy so taking my time when we hit a longer straight away and I was tapping the brakes to keep speed down, then about halfway down the stretch I tapped the brakes the tires locked, but we didn't slow. Mild panic as the turn was now approaching.

Moved the truck to what should be the shoulder to find 'fresh' snow to grab into, but the berms were fairly vertical and couldn't get the tires to bite to climb up and into one. Just sort of bounced off and kept going. Pumping the brakes now to no effect and looked at my buddy and said "Brace yourself".

We hit the berm at the end of the switchback pretty hard and plowed into it. No harm to us done and the truck was stuck. '85 Ramcharger in 4x4, probably on 30's, no studded tires. I opened my door to get out to figure out how we were going to get unstuck and the driver front tire was hanging into space and it was a 20' open drop below me down the mountainside. Crawled out the passenger side and the L rear was also a foot above the ground. A friend in a lighter subaru managed to make it down, pick us up and get us home.

Next day dad and I took the van and called a wrecker. Got the truck free, then dad got the van stuck and the wrecker pulled it free, then the wrecker got stuck and he winched himself free.

Seeing it in the daylight was even scarier, had we gone over, we would have died, it wasn't just a 20' drop, it was 20' until you hit the side of the mountain, and then continued down. And there wasn't much left of the berm when it stopped us.

The next pic of at my wife's house in the mountains of CO. Someone managed to not realize it was a dead end, hit the gas instead of the brakes and launched themselves off the mountain side next to the house before getting caught in the trees in the backyard.

aTm '99
Hewey Calloway
AG
I high school I got my 2wd f150 buried in the mud on a railroad access road out in the boonies. Called a buddy to come get me out. He couldn't reach me from the side I came in on and had to go around me and pull me out from the other side. Instead of going back into town and hitting a RR Crossing, he decided to just drive over the tracks where we were. And instead of hitting the tracks at an angle, he drove straight into them. Once he got his front tires over the track he started spinning in the black railroad rock.

I had to call the sheriff and tell them we were stuck so they could stop trains. That was a big mess. They sent out a deputy and a wrecker and pulled my buddy off.
Tudster
AG
Once after a long night at Northgate... oh wait
SPF250
AG
Surprised it took this long for a Corb Lund appearance.
chickencoupe16
AG
Apologies for grammar and typos, I wrote this on my phone. Also for the length, though I feel it necessary to truly convey how stuck I was.

The summer before my junior year high school, my best friend got his hands on a bottle of rum. I didn't drink then but since we had no real place for him to drink, I suggested we go cruise back roads and he could indulge along the way. For some reason, instead of my two wheel drive diesel that I never would have done this in, we took my dad's relatively new King Ranch 4x4 F150. We had a good time cruisin around Johnson County but it all went to hell when we crossed into Hill.

It had rained in the early afternoon and this was around 6PM in August. Every Johnson County Road that I can think of its paved with exception of a few parts of roads that are gravel. Many Hill County Roads are little more than glorified ruts through fields of Blackland Prairie. The August sun had dried this one enough to make it look reasonably dry and, ignoring the many tire tracks that slid off into the ditch, we started off the Farm to Market and down the long hill of the County Road.

As soon as we left the pavement, the tires broke through the crust to a slick and gummy pudding. No problem, we put in in four wheel drive. After making it to the bottom of the hill (about 1/4 mile) with a little sliding, we started going up the other side. Now the sliding was bad. I knew it was bad but I also knew that we were about half way back to Johnson County and gravel. Plus, I figured continuing forward and up would be easier than stopping and then going backwards and up. Eventually, I slid into the right hand ditch but got out only to over correct into the left hand ditch. I should have just stayed in the right hand because instead of a ditch, the left hand was actually the beginning of a freshly plowed field.

We tried and tried to get it out but one the frame was touching, we knew we needed help. Even worse, a new storm was moving in and we didn't have cell service. So with lightning crashing around us, we walked up the hill to get service. The first friend we called was too far away but the second who had just started driving an '89 4x4 F250 jumped at the chance. We made our way back to the truck and in several minutes, here comes our friend in the pouring rain, his truck fish tailing all the way down to us.

We hook up and quickly get his truck stuck. Eventually we got his truck unstuck. I swear he had his four speed in fifth gear, tires doing about 60 when it just leapt out of that ditch. We told him thanks but not to bother trying again and he headed home. By this time, it's dark, though the rain has stopped.

We give a third friend with a fairly new Dodge dually with huge knobby tires a call. He's at a party and drunk but offers to come on though we declined. A fourth friend with a week old (this is 2010 and he has a 2011) Ford dually comes out. He tries and tries, nearly getting stuck several times. We try from the other way but it's raining again and there's no way it's happening.

A fifth friend says he can bring a tractor but it will have to be after noon the next day. Out of options, our fourth friend gives us a ride back, dropping me off last. As he leaves, the plastic in the wheel well falls off under the weight of about 2 inches of clay. The next day his engine throws a rod.

I walk into my house and only my sister is awake. I'm drenched and covered in mud. She has a field day when I tell her what happened. I then make my way into my dad's bedroom. It's around 11 and he's asleep. If I don't wake him up to tell him, he'll wake up at 5 am to go to work and find his truck missing. As bad as I know that would be, it almost seems worth it...

After hovering over his bed in the dark for what must have been 20 minutes, I finally muster up the courage and prod him wake. As mad as he is (and he's livid) it's not as bad as I had imagined. After a lecture, my sister is tasked with driving him to work, and I am left with this declaration: "I get off at 3. My truck will be there to pick me up and it will be spotless."

The next morning, unable to wait until noon for a tractor, we borrow my rum friend's grandad's '95 Dodge dually. The road is now dry and, without slipping, the dually pulls me out in no time. So we head for the car wash, but as soon as I get back to gravel and get above 30 mph, the truck starts violently shaking.

I'm overwhelmed. It's been an emotional roller coaster and just when I thought I was about to get off, I find out I have wrecked my dad's truck. At the car wash we find the wheels are jammed full of mud. We clean that out and hope that is what caused the shaking. $25 in quarters later, the truck is shining and we head for my house to clean the interior. I get it above 30 and there's no shaking! At 55, the shaking comes back...

At home, I find some more mud in the wheels and clean it out. As we are cleaning the filthy interior, Dad calls to check in. Hearing that his truck is free brightens his spirit a little and he asks us if we learned a lesson. My phone is sitting on the console set to speaker as we scrub away at the muddy interior and before I can formulate a reply, my friend says, "yes sir. Hit it faster next time!"

I gasp. I cringe. There's a pause. And then... laughter.

I make the 40 minute drive in 25, running late due to the extensive interior cleanup that was necessary. The shaking doesn't come back at any speed (I thoroughly researched this). I pull in to Dad's work at 3:05. He's waiting outside of the front door. I provide curbside service and he climbs in. He does a once over and points to the steering wheel. "You missed a spot," he says as I crane my head to see a dime sized drop of dried mud on the backside of the steering wheel.

I flick it off, put it in drive, and give him a condensed run down of the recovery and cleaning efforts. He laughs and calls me stupid when I tell him about burning my hands on the hot, air restricted front brakes as I clawed out clay from the wheel. Other than a one time comment to my rum friend along the lines of "hit it faster next time huh?", I never heard about it again. I guess he felt that we had learned a lesson.

TLDR: Don't go cruising back roads with a bottle of rum. Don't take your dad's new King Ranch. Don't do this between thunderstorms. And if you can't keep from doing all of this, stay the hell out of Hill County!
schmellba99
AG
A few come to mind.

#1:
I grew up at the mouth of the Brazos, the entire landscape is either sand or Beaumont formation (black gumbo as it were), and we spent a crap ton of time finding places to do stupid stuff on.

One evening a buddy and I were driving down the levee on New River towards the boat ramp at Bryan Mound to meet some friends. It had been raining for probably 2 weeks at this time, and was cold AF out. I had a Dodge Dakota 4wd with a little lift on it and 31x10.50 tires - that thing could go just about anywhere it seemed.

Well, we saw a coyote and decided to cripple a beetch and go after it. So I cut the wheel...and 2 of my wheels when off pavement and immediately sunk. No problem, just throw it in 4wd and we'll be on our merry way. Except that didn't happen - I started sliding down the levee towards the river. Hit the bottom of the levee and there is about 20 yards of flat ground before the river proper. I made it about 15 feet before my truck absolutely sunk - couldn't even open the door it was so far sunk. All 4 tires had cones of mud probably 24" sticking out of the ground. I was about 3 feet from the river, and my truck was buried worse than I had ever seen.

It was bad. Cold. Misting rain. Middle of BFE. Luckily I had a couple of ponchos and we walked back towards town, hitched a ride and got on the CB for a mayday call.

400 feet of rope and 2 Chevy's with 350's in 4-low and I was able to finally get out of the hole. Took another half hour of them pulling from the top of the levee while I slid through the mud to an access road about a quarter mile away.

Same truck, on a Dow pipeline ROW outside of Freeport. Similar weather - cold AF, but wasn't raining at least. Me, a buddy of mine (also had a Dodge Dakota 4wd) and a couple of girls went mud hogging. I didn't know that a buddy of mine had been in that same spot a few days prior, and he had a half ton Chevy with 35" swampers on it. I hit his ruts and bottomed out. Sat on the frame of my truck spinning all 4 tires throwing up rooster tails of mud and water.

Worst part was that I had to get out and sink in knee deep mud to hook the tow strap up when my buddy came back with it. Godamighty, that was cold. Then I had to wash my legs off with the water hose at hte house when we got back. That was colder I think.

Jobsite in Lansing, Kansas. Had a Cat 345 excavator literally start sinking in the mud and silt next to a creek where we were installing a pipeline. Nastiest stuff I have probably seen, even worse than the gumbo down home.

At one point the rear of the excavator was completely covered and only the exhaust stack was sticking out of the mud. Took another excavator, a D-6 and a backhoe to get him out. The backhoe dug around the tracks to make more of a ramp, the first excavator was hooked to the stuck one with about 100 feet of tow strap and the D-6 was hooked to the second excavator with another 100 feet of strap or so.

I am convinced if we didn't get that excavator out, it would have kept sinking until it was out of site.
cr06gis
AG
Back in 2015 I was working a transmission line upgrade project in SE Oregon between Lakeview and Adel on BLM land. I had to run out and perform a spot check on a Sunday afternoon. All the line crews were off that day, so I was solo out there.

We had alot of snowmelt, so the BLM roads were a bit slick but we had added quite a bit of crushed rock to improve roads for the project. Anyway, I attempted a shortcut that wasn't treated and sunk in mud up to my chassis. Spent a few hours trying to dig out. Didnt work. No cell service and atleast 15 miles of BLM and USFS roads to get to pavement. Ended up sleeping in the truck and getting pulled out the next morning by some very amused lineman.

So stupid. So embarrassing.
7yrplan
AG
Duck hunting with just my dad, I was probably 13 or 14. Well before cell phones. It was before sun up and we got stuck headed to a flooded rice field. We were a long way from help and no way to get ahold of anyone. We found as much lumber and sticks as we could to help build and dig a path out. We worked all day and into the night. We eventually made it out and home well after dark. Mom was worried sick.
Two Gun Corcoran
AG
First thing I thought of.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.