Outdoors
Sponsored by

We made it to Lundazi - need the help of the OB International Division

4,664 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Credible Source
One-Eyed Fat Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Arrived Friday pm after several days in Lusaka. Dogs went ape**** when they saw us. Look healthy and ready to fly.

We started packing yesterday morning and discovered all of our camera gear had been stolen. Not cheap equipment and all together probably around $50k. It was a very precise - nothing else taken. Camera bags were on two shelves of a bookcase in our bedroom and two big Canon lenses in one of my dresser drawers. Nothing else rummaged through, tv still here. Camera bags we still in their proper place but emptied of their content. Our guess so as not to alert our housekeeper.

But we think it was an inside job. We let a friend from the US stay here in November. She has a Zambian boyfriend and apparently there were parties held here while we were gone. After discovering the theft yesterday Melissa called her and asked if there were any people here while we were gone and she told her no with the exception of her bf. Facebook told another story and we grabbed screenshots. A couple of hours later both the friend and her bf had deleted the pics from their FB pages.

Lundazi's finest were here this morning to dust for prints. We have the names of those in the pics because they were tagged. They'll start rounding up the suspects to interrogate them. We've been told the Zambian jails aren't as nice as American jails. They also give the same puzzled look when you tell them about police brutality as they do when you talk about catch and release fishing.

I doubt we'll see our gear again but hoping to get some sort of insurance coverage through Presbyterian World Mission. I'll keep you posted as things develop.
UTExan
Welcome to Africa.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
ratfacemcdougal
Sorry to hear it Friend. Sounds like yall have a good case though. Peace
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
The sad thing is the friend who stayed at our house is American and worked with our church in a program called Young Adult Volunteers, sort of a one year Presbyterian Peace Corps. We considered her a good friend and at this point signs point to her involvement. Hope I'm proved wrong about that part.
texAZtea
AG
Thieves suck, no matter what continent you're on. I'm sorry they got your stuff and it's gotta suck even more thinking that someone you trusted might have initiated it.
OnlyForNow
AG
Did you confront the person you let stay there about the obvious lie they told you?

What did they say?

Slipping a Zambian police officer a $100 bill to try and extract some info about your 50,000 in camera gear seems pretty expected.
texAZtea
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Slipping a Zambian police officer a $100 bill to try and extract some info about your 50,000 in camera gear seems pretty expected.
How far does 2000 Kwacha go in investigative motivation?
Muzzleblast
You beat me to it.

Dash the highest ranking police you can find for anything to happen.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not sure what Jesus would do in this case, but not sure bribing the local police to rough up some thieves is in the mission charter. Maybe slip them a $20 instead of the $100 and they will just scare the punks.
texAZtea
AG
I trust OEFM knows more about what Jesus would do in this situation than me.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I've actually been impressed with the police so far.

We haven't confronted the girl - don't want her to alert her friends here. I have a feeling she'll hear when her friends all get taken in by the police for questioning and to have their prints taken. There were some others who came to the gatherings who we know and probably had nothing to do with the theft. If they start to feel the squeeze they may know something. That type of equipment would stand out in Lundazi. But it may have been taken to Lusaka. I'm sure it was sold for pennies on the dollar regardless.
agsalaska
AG
Wish I could help. Furthest I go is Colorado.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Bless the jails down in Africa- Toto
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Can you give us more specifics on what gear was stolen? Expensive glass is pretty common but $50k worth of it isn't exactly going to fall out of a tree in Zambia, especially if you're talking about some L-series stuff. The white housings and red rings catch peoples eye.

Good luck getting your stuff back and good luck with the investigation. Hope for your sake that no one betrayed your trust.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Camera bodies Canon 5D III and Fuji X Pro 2
Lenses
  • Canon 300mm 2.8
  • Canon 100-400
  • Canon 50mm 1.2
  • Canon 35 mm 1.4
  • Canon 16-35 2.8
  • Canon 24-105
  • Fuji 14mm 18-55 f/2.8-4
  • Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

My wife's Olympus camera body and lenses. And of course, good B+W filters, batteries, etc. Actual tally closer to around $32k. I guess I exaggerate when I'm pissed off
spud1910
AG
Sorry to hear. Hard to believe a friend would be involved in something like that. Hope things turn out better than it looks now.
UTExan
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

I've actually been impressed with the police so far.

We haven't confronted the girl - don't want her to alert her friends here. I have a feeling she'll hear when her friends all get taken in by the police for questioning and to have their prints taken. There were some others who came to the gatherings who we know and probably had nothing to do with the theft. If they start to feel the squeeze they may know something. That type of equipment would stand out in Lundazi. But it may have been taken to Lusaka. I'm sure it was sold for pennies on the dollar regardless.
I hope your experience is good. We were in Ghana for a month back in 2018 and I will never forget two things: Ghana police beating the crap out of a guy alongside a highway when he tried to stop them from searching his cart (yes, a pull cart) and the incessant police stops alongside the road. I never asked our driver, but when he stepped out of the car to produce his license and was quickly waved on, I suspected a payoff.

And Ghanaian police are some of the better respected in Africa.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
shiftyandquick
Bless your heart for helping this young lady out with a crash pad for her and her boyfriend.

I'm not as nice as you. I would have done no such thing.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
What about offering a reward, "no questions asked" in there, and Lusaka?

Also, does this mean you want the tiger fish flies now? . If so, let me know where to send them.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

My wife's Olympus camera body and lenses. And of course, good B+W filters, batteries, etc. Actual tally closer to around $32k. I guess I exaggerate when I'm pissed off.

Dang, missionary work must pay more than I thought.
Seriously, that sucks but what y'all do is great
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I owned my own business before this job. None of this was bought recently.
Ted Lasso
AG
Not getting assaulted or worse for residing in Africa for extended periods of time is the true blessing. Know several folks who weren't so lucky
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

• Canon 300mm 2.8
  • Canon 100-400
  • Canon 50mm 1.2
  • Canon 35 mm 1.4
  • Canon 16-35 2.8
  • Canon 24-105

Ouch. Your ire is understood and well placed.

For the uninitiated, in the camera world, bodies are like cars. They serve a purpose and have features and capabilities based on what you want to pay. The latest 5D that OEFM had jacked retails for $2,500 - 3,000. You can get a current version of what was stolen for around $1,000 if you do your homework and find a good deal.

The glass, on the other hand, is more like real estate. It keeps its value. That Canon 300mm f2.8 is an absolute work horse that you will almost assuredly see on the sidelines at the Super Bowl today. They retail for north of $6k and the used market doesn't get much softer for anything that is well kept. The outer casing of the lens is also white which for higher-end Canon lenses draws the eye of anyone that knows what they're looking at.

Someone got into OEFM's house in Zambia, saw the iconic white lens housing, and probably already had a buyer (or a fence) lined up for whenever they could gain access to get the goods.

Sorry for your loss and best of luck. I know it's the police's problem now, but I would be looking at someone that was inside your place that has some knowledge, skill, and/or experience with photography.
shiftyandquick
If you get your stuff back, I'd buy a safe as the next step.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Left one off. 70-200 2.8
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Also ouch.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
We got word the Lundazi police started questioning some of the people from the FB pics. Not sure if the girl's boyfriend was one of those questioned. I think the police are of the same mind as us that the specificity of the theft and the fact the American friend new about the gear and the lenses in my dresser drawer make them likely suspects.

It's going to be interesting to see if the boyfriend begins to feel the heat and points the finger at her since she's back in the US. I'm hoping she's just an innocent idiot that told him about our conversation about the equipment and he acted alone without her knowledge.

By the way, as we were packing today discovered an empty Bose headphone case.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Yeah, I'm betting on the US "friend."
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
A quick update from Lundazi. The police continue to investigate. We've discovered some other stolen items as we've packed. A pair of Bose headphones, a dual sim cell phone. They left the phone case face down so as to look untouched. Hope the police were able to get the perps prints off the case.

We head back to Lusaka on Sunday with the hounds. They'll board with a vet until we head to Atlanta on 2/25.
The Fife
Hope the perp is able to at least catch a good beating or two for their troubles. And that the stuff is returned, of course!
Naveronski
AG
Damn, that really sucks. Really sounds like they weren't in a hurry given the care they took to make everything appear untouched.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
The cops here don't know about police brutality. We were driving into town one day and here comes a man in a suit, dragging another guy buy the collar down the shoulder of the road. A policeman pulls up, he and the man in the suit throw the other guy on the ground and proceed to kick the ****e out of him.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
The policeman just called. Some boys have here have been going around town with some cameras trying to earn money taking pictures. He's trying to set up a sting for tonight . Stay tuned.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
The policeman just came by with three cameras he took from the boys. None of them ours. Bummer.
Fairview
AG
Those boys are like why did the cops just steal our cameras and kick our asses.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.