Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ship breaks in half in Black Sea

7,626 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Apache
munch96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
YouTube welders.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Hope they had good insurance.
danieljustin06
AG
I wasn't expecting it to break that way.
hbc07
AG
The front fell off
munch96
AG
More info: https://themaritimepost.com/2021/01/30/video-ukrainian-cargo-ship-breaks-and-sinks-in-black-sea/

Quote:

At least two crew members have died and six remain unaccounted for after a Ukrainian-owned cargo ship sank in bad weather in the Black Sea off Turkey. Five people have been rescued and two bodies have been recovered from the wreck of the general cargo ship Arvin, which is registered under the flag of the country of Palau.

The ship was heading for Bulgaria from Georgia when it sank. Black Sea region has been hit by heavy rains, snow, and strong winds in recent days.[
Ornithopter
AG
Layne Staley
AG
JB weld. Will be fine.
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
Lol, i was about to post the same thing. Mf'er calls mayday and dons his gumby suit ready to gtfo. No alarm.

Meanwhile people are below with no idea wtf was going on,

Ridiculous
Stat Monitor Repairman
Lol, at whoever classed that ship.
coastalaggie
AG
My worst fear working offshore is something like this in the middle of the night, especially working in some of the not so lovely places I do.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Post removed:
by user
coastalaggie
AG
third coast.. said:

What do you do?

And yea man, you have to have a lot of faith in the equipment you're on and the people running it when you go to sleep. Ive been on board for blackouts and fires and luckily everyone sprang to action and fixed the issues quickly.

My buddies ship sank in the GOM at night and he most definitely saved the lives of several shipmates when he stopped the captainnfrom making a couple of poor decisions. They were in 8 to 10 foot seas in the liferafts at night for a few hours before being rescued.
Subsea and Offshore Construction - Derrick Barge/Lay Barge, Subsea Intervention vessels, etc...
Post removed:
by user
coastalaggie
AG
I have been on Technip's 1200 in the GoM installing some subsea kits for a tie-back. Pretty impressive vessel.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
Is that something the captain gets put on trial for? Seems like a pretty serious screwup to me.
Post removed:
by user
JYDog90
AG
munch96 said:

More info: https://themaritimepost.com/2021/01/30/video-ukrainian-cargo-ship-breaks-and-sinks-in-black-sea/

Quote:

At least two crew members have died and six remain unaccounted for after a Ukrainian-owned cargo ship sank in bad weather in the Black Sea off Turkey. Five people have been rescued and two bodies have been recovered from the wreck of the general cargo ship Arvin, which is registered under the flag of the country of Palau.

The ship was heading for Bulgaria from Georgia when it sank. Black Sea region has been hit by heavy rains, snow, and strong winds in recent days.[

I was a bit surprised at how NOT bad the seas looked in that video. With those two other boats that close, it looked like a few tuna boats out for a day of fishing.
Formerly Willy Wonka
AG
I bet that bulkier hasn't seen a real yard in years, much less had a serious class survey in years. Racked and broke her spine in moderate seas...definition of a 45 year old rust bucket.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah, seas didn't look bad at all.

Seems like a 45 year old vessel that should have been scrapped 20 years ago.
MouthBQ98
AG
Right long frequency wave pattern, right loading, and undiagnosed fatigue cracks...suddenly enough fails that it rips apart at the speed of sound through steel (as fast as the destructive vibration that tears through the steel hell can carry), and it's broken in two.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I read an article about how the Great Lakes are surprisingly dangerous for large ships, as their hulls can strike the bottom, in some weather conditions. I thought it would have been something similar, but it didn't look very rough.
Post removed:
by user
Burdizzo
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

I read an article about how the Great Lakes are surprisingly dangerous for large ships, as their hulls can strike the bottom, in some weather conditions. I thought it would have been something similar, but it didn't look very rough.

Edmund Fitzgerald
RK
AG
third coast.. said:

seas never translate well to video. they are ALWAYS bigger than they look on film.

seas and d's.
MouthBQ98
AG
Bulk carrier that was extended in the past maybe? That's killed a few of them over the years.
aggiedent
AG
Yep, the Edmund Fitzgerald broke in two.
pdc093
Our ships don't break in half.
harge57
AG
munch96 said:

Quote:

Crazy. There were two ships in view.
AggieRAB05
AG
Working for a class society, the first thing I do is see who classed it. Then I can laugh or cry.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Last time I remember this happening it was off the coast of France. Massive oil spill.

Classed by Rina.

Allegations of pay for play.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.