Outdoors
Sponsored by

AR Suggestions

3,998 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OneMoonGoon92
mini-x fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Horrible timing, I know. I am looking to get into an entry level AR 5.56 for under $1000. Do y'all have any suggestions on brands to look into or avoid. What sites do I need to check daily? I am open to buying used as well. Thank you
BCStalk
Eyeguy is who you need to talk to.
UTExan
Smith and Wesson M&P 15.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
CTGilley
AG
I think SKelso was building then for $1,000 out of quality parts.

I have not seen any off the rack in-stock for that price I would recommend to a friend. I have seen the Sigs for about 1200. I don't own one but by buddy has 3 and loves them.
bigfoot10s
AG
I have a Rock River Entry Tactical I'd part with. Not many rounds thru it

Edit: I didn't read your post saying you'd take a used one
skelso
AG
Thanks for the shout out.

OP, Im still able to put complete rifles together for under $1K using parts in stock. However, Im getting close to the bottom of the Parts inventory. As I buy new parts Im faced with a choice, downgrade quality and stay sub $1K or maintain quality and increase price due to increased cost.

I dont have any 5.56 barrels left and haven't gotten any in for a while now. If he's willing to go 6.8 or .224 valk I can take care of him immediately.

Shawn@kelsoarms.com let me know if I can help.
texag06ish
AG
Do you build AR-10's?
Daddy-O5
AG
Just built one for about $1050 with delivery of parts, tax, ffl transfer, etc. included.

Primarily PSA components, and with a $200 trigger. Can still build one for 1k pretty easy.
JSKolache
AG
https://palmettostatearmory.com
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
JSKolache said:

https://palmettostatearmory.com

2nd PSA. Buy a pistol lower while you still can. Gives you more flexibility down the road to have multiple length uppers...

Daddy-O5
AG
They've been rolling out lowers daily, sometimes selling out at some point throughout the day. Picked up an extra one just in case the other day, guess they might run out sometime.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
If you have to stay under $1000, palmetto is probably the ticket, just be careful what you buy. Our builds start at $1150 and I'm cranking them out as fast as I can
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
FC12
Have any complete uppers available? I'm
Looking to buy 2 in 5.56...16" barrel preferred but I'll look at 20" bull barrels or down to 10.5".
skelso
AG
Nope, been out of 5.56 barrels for a while. I can get complete 5.56 uppers from one of my suppliers but the cost is a bit higher than if I was able to build it in house.

Email me if you want to discuss.
HvilleAggie
AG
your comment to "buy a pistol lower".... I have a stripped lower that I plan on buying a pistol build kit from PSA. Does the lower need to be special to be on a pistol?
Daddy-O5
AG
Any lower can be turned into a pistol lower.

Legally speaking the lower can never have been assembled into a rifle then converted to a pistol but if you're starting fresh that won't matter.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Don't skimp on trigger, barrel or BCG. A lot of flexibility on the other parts.
Daddy-O5
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Just built one for about $1050 with delivery of parts, tax, ffl transfer, etc. included.

Primarily PSA components, and with a $200 trigger. Can still build one for 1k pretty easy.

I finished this build up a couple of weeks ago. Just took a look at 11.5-16"+ .556 barrels. Slim pickings.
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
HvilleAggie said:

your comment to "buy a pistol lower".... I have a stripped lower that I plan on buying a pistol build kit from PSA. Does the lower need to be special to be on a pistol?

From my understanding it's how they label/designate it at the time of manufacture.
FC12
Emailed.
trip98
AG
If you don't mind answering questions about your build for a fellow ag thinking about going the same for the first time please shoot me an email at
Trip
Dot
Franty at
Sci-us
Dot com
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Any lower can be turned into a pistol lower.

Legally speaking the lower can never have been assembled into a rifle then converted to a pistol but if you're starting fresh that won't matter.
Clarify one thing, you're right here but one point needs to be said.... it depends on what it was first built as. Starts as a rifle, always a rifle. Starts as a pistol, you can bounce back and forth between the two. It's dumb... but it is what it is.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
08N.Ftw.Ag said:

HvilleAggie said:

From my understanding it's how they label/designate it at the time of manufacture.
Not exactly, it depends on what it is built as. Unless it's built out, it is just a receiver.
Daddy-O5
AG
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even realize that, hard to keep track.

While we're on the topic is there actually even a way to "prove" what one started as? I don't ever plan on putting it to the test myself, but practically speaking......?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even realize that, hard to keep track.

While where on the topic is there actually even a way to "prove" what one started as? I don't ever plan on putting it to the test myself, but practically speaking......?
The only place that it is recorded is in the manufacturer's bound book. If it's not listed as anything other than a receiver at some point then.... good luck to the government proving it started as a rifle. And you weren't wrong, just a small point of clarification.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
I may have something you might like. EYEGUY built it bit ive recently decided I can part ways with it. It fits your request and I have premium ammo for it. If you're interested, respond here and I'll forward you what I have. For those looking for ammo, I'm not selling it separate unless OP doesn't want it.
Tabasco
AG
marleyrox said:

I may have something you might like. EYEGUY built it bit ive recently decided I can part ways with it. It fits your request and I have premium ammo for it. If you're interested, respond here and I'll forward you what I have. For those looking for ammo, I'm not selling it separate unless OP doesn't want it.

Interested. Send details to tabascoag. at Gmail
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
What's your lead time on a AR-15 pistol? AR-10 pistol?
Coward Jimbo
AG
I like my Ruger but had it jam after about 100 rounds because of the factory lube in it. Took it to the shop and they cleaned it up in about 30 mins for $50. Shoots great now
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

What's your lead time on a AR-15 pistol? AR-10 pistol?

Ar15 pistols I have in stock ready to roll. Ar-10.. I have one receiver set unspoken for and will need to find a barrel
ecoag80
AG
Eye guy can you post pics or links to AR pistols you have in inventory?

Perhaps brief specs on these..

Tabasco
AG
ecoag80 said:

Eye guy can you post pics or links to AR pistols you have in inventory?

Perhaps brief specs on these..

I second this. Or PM me what you have in stock (AR-15 pistols)
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
So, the standard build that we have is $1300. Choice between 300blk at 8.5" or 10.5" 556.

Ballistic advantage or better barrel
Gearhead works gen 2 brace
Mlok name brand handguard (my OEMs have either dried up or are so close in price to name brand, we're doing some of the good lower priced name brand units)
Forged upper/lower - I try to get Texags Aero lowers but no guarantees on that.

We're running two different build lines right now... high custom stuff goes to my gunsmith and the more straight forward builds go to John to build. Both are coming out rather nicely, but the high custom stuff is majorly backlogged. The straight forward builds by John, I'm able to keep up with rather nicely but the cerakote and such jobs are just log jammed right now because my gunsmith has had some major health issues and hasn't been in store anywhere near as much as I need him. But the basic to midtier builds, we are constantly cranking those out.
Tabasco
AG
PM sent
OneMoonGoon92
AG
Responded
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.