Outdoors
Sponsored by

Possible Mountain Lion attack/death Lipan, Tx

17,025 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieArchitect04
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea......maybe an Axis or Fallow deer.
Gunny456
AG
This.
O.G.
normaleagle05 said:

O.G. said:

It wasn't a Tiger. I read this book a couple of years back:

https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengeance-Survival-Vintage-Departures/dp/0307389049

True story of Russian para-military group that protects endangered Tigers in Sibera. Very good read btw.

The Tiger on human kills were described as if the victim had exploded. Blood everywhere and very little actual human remains. Only shreds of clothing and maybe a finger or some such. Definitely not enough to ID a body or have a proper funeral.

Probably a good book. But you do realize that no one is suggesting it may have been a tiger, right?
Someone above mentioned "exotic pet"....given that, according to Joe Rogan, there are more Tigers in Texas than all of the rest of the world....and this is 2020...and Carol Baskins is still walking around ......I mean......

aggie appraiser
I drove by a "sanctuary" about 45 miles away from there recently with tigers and lions all over the place.

ursusguy
AG
There's a lot of crap involved. TPWD and USDA are of the mindset that there is no wildlife involvement at all. Keep in mind, it is in USDA Wildlife Services best interest for it to be an attack. My understanding is nothing at the site or body is consistent with a lion kill.
normaleagle05
AG
Well, yeah, but this is the equivalent of the sheriff's "ranchers in the area have reported trail cam photos of mountain lions" just because it's true (that the ranchers have reported it), also there's one in Rowlett. That part is very important.

Hood County man killed by tiger from Rowlett. You heard it here first.
normaleagle05
AG
ursusguy said:

There's a lot of crap involved. TPWD and USDA are of the mindset that there is no wildlife involvement at all. Keep in mind, it is in USDA Wildlife Services best interest for it to be an attack. My understanding is nothing at the site or body is consistent with a lion kill.

Interesting. I wouldn't have known that. How so?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
aggie appraiser said:

I drove by a "sanctuary" about 45 miles away from their recently with tigers and lions all over the place.

Oh my!
Rattler12
Wompus cat
rather be fishing
AG
normaleagle05 said:

ursusguy said:

Interesting. I wouldn't have known that. How so?
Assuming proof of species prevalence?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
aggie appraiser said:

I drove by a "sanctuary" about 45 miles away from their recently with tigers and lions all over the place.

Can you imagine the aw **** feeling you would have just doing a little hiking at Mineral Wells State Park, you round the corner and see a tiger?
techno-ag
AG
Can't rule out Covid.
ursusguy
AG
Two things: they mostly operate as a fee for service agency AND fighting hard to maintain relevancy. Keep in mind, now days most people have never heard of them......and if they have are usually going after them. They don't get a lot of positive press (granted, part of the problem is they historically avoid the press like the plague).
normaleagle05
AG
I did wonder who "WS" was from page one.
ursusguy
AG
Sorry about that, I've been bouncing around between many websites on this issue. Yeah--USDA Wildlife Services. Odd mix of a hybrid state-federal agency.
WC87
AG
Amy further update on this?
Maybe Next Year
AG
Probably pigs, like what happened in Anahuac a year ago
CanyonAg77
AG
ursusguy said:

Two things: they mostly operate as a fee for service agency AND fighting hard to maintain relevancy. Keep in mind, now days most people have never heard of them......and if they have are usually going after them. They don't get a lot of positive press (granted, part of the problem is they historically avoid the press like the plague).

A neighbor down the street works for USDA animal damage control. He'll show up occasionally with a fuel tank full of jet-a or a garage full of shotgun shells. Also has had to have surgery on his shoulder from shooting thousands of rounds from a helicopter.
bdgol07
AG
Any insider info update on this story?
ursusguy
AG
Checked yesterday and it has been really quiet.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
MAROON said:

Probably a pit bull
D!ck Head!!!
normaleagle05
AG
Surely the toxicology report is back by now? What's the word? Nothing in the news.
chris1515
AG
Are there any updates on this? Seems strange for a story to generate so much buzz and then just disappear.

SquirrellyDan
AG
hbc07 said:

That's what I liked about you.
Bird Poo
AG
Serial killer
Hewey Calloway
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

MAROON said:

Probably a pit bull
D!ck Head!!!
To be fair, you're a lot more likely to get killed by a pit bull than a mountain lion.
gwellis
AG
ursusguy said:

Probably a rabbit with Big Teeth.
Gil '91
FC12
Hewey Calloway said:

2ndChanceAg96 said:

MAROON said:

Probably a pit bull
D!ck Head!!!
To be fair, you're a lot more likely to get killed by a pit bull than a mountain lion.

In Granbury area...100%...and I'm from there
Enviroag02
AG
Update

"News Release 1-26-21
Final autopsy completed on Mountain Lion attack

On 1-25-21, the Hood County Sheriff's Office received the final autopsy report on Christopher Allen Whiteley, who died on 12-3-20 in the Lipan area.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the "Cause of Death" as "injuries of neck, due to animal attack" and the "Manner of Death" "accident."

The Hood County Sheriff's Office supports the TCME Office ruling since there were no signs of foul play in Whiteley's death.

There is still a disagreement with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department whether Whiteley was killed by a mountain lion or not.

The case is being closed by the Hood County Sheriff's Office as an animal attack.

Public Information Officer
Lt. Johnny Rose
Hood County Sheriff's Office"
giddings_ag_06
AG
Soooo, Bigfoot is still an option?
AgEng06
AG
Came here to see any reactions (especially ursus) after that press release?

What's the angle here with the SO not agreeing with TPWD? Who has an agenda or something to lose (or hide)? This seems strange all around now.

Edit: on reread, I guess the SO doesn't say it was a mountain lion, just an animal.
Enviroag02
AG
AgEng06 said:

Came here to see any reactions (especially ursus) after that press release?

What's the angle here with the SO not agreeing with TPWD? Who has an agenda or something to lose (or hide)? This seems strange all around now.

Edit: on reread, I guess the SO doesn't say it was a mountain lion, just an animal.

But it does say that..very first sentence. Weird situation for sure. Curious for ursus input as well.
montanagriz
S
Seems like a cover up of some sort. Doesn't make sense
alvtimes
Here's my opinion on the disagreement.... Hood Co So... saw the scene and picked up a few signs and formed the case on mountain lion kill...But unlike gunshots, car accidents, overdoses etc..... how many mountain lion kills do you think they have investigated along with the Tarrant County ME. Now TPWD on the otherhand might be the more "in tune" department..
TarponChaser
montanagriz said:

Seems like a cover up of some sort. Doesn't make sense

Hood County has an underground hunt club where the rich pay to hunt the most dangerous game. Man.

The sheriff is getting huge kickbacks.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.