Outdoors
Sponsored by

EDC Knife

10,279 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wodanaz
ldg397
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have carried a bench made mini griptilian for the last five plus years been back to benchmade a few times to be freshened up. Unfortunately I lost it last week. I will probably wait through one more cycle of laundry to see if it shows up but time to start thinking about a replacement if it doesn't.

Anything I should look at before I just go buy a mini grip. Prefer a similar size range.
Caladan
Hogue Doug Ritter (comes in two sizes).
Spyderco PM2, PM3, PM3 lightweight, Manix 2 lightweight, Tenacious lightweight in S35vn.
Steel Will Cutjack
Benchmade cf-e Mini-presidio II, cf-e version of the Bugout
SOG Terminus XR in G-10, but not a lot of traction in the scales
Bestech Texel

Or suck it up and get a Chris Reeve Sebenza.........
FIDO 96
AG
I got the BM 535 Bug Out Its much lighter & thinner than the Grip, but same excellent strength and blade.

https://www.benchmade.com/535gry-1.html
River Bass
I also carry a bugout. It disappears in your pocket and I like the small deep carry clip.

Will probably look at Spyderco Delica next though because I prefer lock backs and liner locks over Benchmade axis lock. It's almost the same weight as the bugout.
AggieMPH2005
Another vote for the bug out. If you are willing to consider other sizes a Spyderco Dragonfly with full flat grind is another favorite.
Strongwind86
AG
Benchmade Bugout here.
Got several knives on the dresser - this goes in my pocket 95% of the time.
Todd 02
AG
Watching also...

I've carried a few different versions of Kershaw Leek for almost ten years, but am very unhappy with the last one I got. It has the black blade, which seems to be brittle. I really like the speed safe opening mechanism.

I've toyed with the idea of an auto opener, but haven't found one I like.
NRH ag 10
AG
Benchmade Freek with a CPM-M4 blade, before that it was a Benchmade bone collector with a d2 blade until i left it near a mule deer carcass I was field dressing in a sleep deprived state near the CO-WY border. Had that knife for right at 10 years, was super unhappy I lost it.

I'd stick with a benchmade in the size and configuration that fits your preferences, I haven't had any issue with the AXIS lock and find it to be very fast to open or close with a thumbhole or a stud, and very secure. I changed my freek's clip to the deep carry clip the bugout models all come with, BM will charge you a whopping $5 for the privilege.

I love that BM does the sprint runs with different scales or blade steels so you can get something more unique if you want to.
80sGeorge
AG
Who knew Caladan was also a pocket knife guru?

So sad for my wallet.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I buy Victorinox Electricians. Mainly, for social acceptability, and the ease of replacement. (I seem to lose knives, regularly.)

If you are using a knife for work, fixed blades, and box cutters, make life much easier.
Caladan
80sGeorge said:

Who knew Caladan was also a pocket knife guru?

So sad for my wallet.
Yeah, it's one of my hobbies. I have a decent collection of folding knives. Not much experience with fixed-blade knives though, only having four of various sizes. But I can speak with some experience about folders.

C
ldg397
AG
I was suprised also to see caladan chine in. I guess I will have to update the spreadsheet on him gotta keep an eye on him far away and close up.

Thanks for the tips I have been super happy with my benchmade and will check out these.

Fixed blades I tend to go with the bark rivers very happy with the several of those I own. It never ends I was into fixed blades now expanding into harchets and axes.
Caladan
ldg397 said:

I guess I will have to update the spreadsheet on him gotta keep an eye on him far away and close up.

Thanks for the tips I have been super happy with my benchmade and will check out these.
Yeah, my wife kinda says the same thing.......

Since you have been happy with Benchmade, definitely check out the Mini-presidio II. I like it better as a daily user than my 940-1, mainly because it fits my hand better when applying a heavy load, and it has a bit more belly to the blade which is preferable to me. Not expensive compared to most of Benchmade's lineup.

The Hogue Doug Ritter was actually produced by Benchmade, but for some reason the two parted ways. Ritter moved to Hogue, which was a good move as Hogue makes an excellent product, and are made in the USA. It is the knife that comes closest to your old Griptillian, and that isn't made by Benchmade.

C
TulaneAg
I have multiple Kershaw Leeks. I learned I prefer the polished ones over the matte finish...they slide so smoothly in and out of the pocket. The only other knife I carry besides that is a CRKT Crossbones and I love it as a change up to the Leeks.

I've tried others but those are the only two models that have stuck.
ldg397
AG
Booo I found it in the chair cushion!!

Actually glad I found it but Not sure I can put this genie back in the bottle after looking at new knives at every opportunity for the last 48 hours.
wadd96
AG
Just ordered a Benchmade 595 Mini Boost Assisted Opening Folding Knife from Bass Pro. Will tell you how I like it.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
turf guy ag
I've been carrying the zt 0770 for a few months and it has been great. Still use my 940 Osborne but I like the handle of the zt better for the shape and fit.
Bigballin
AG
Spyderco native lightweight current daily carry.

Have a spyderco enduro with an Emerson opener that I carry occasionally but is longer than the native.

Looking to get a paramilitary 2, and a para 3 lightweight and eventually replace a lost delica (which was my primary for over 10 years before it was lost).

Big fan of spyderco products.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Got a Bugout early this year. First "premium" knife other than a Delica (if you want to call that premium) I got years ago. I carry it most days, maybe not every day.

I've also stocked up on a bunch (OK, 3) of D2 steel blade knives for several things: my go bag, my tool apron that is in my "away from home" tool caddy, my hiking kit, and another one or two stashed around the house. I was impressed with the blade quality and sharpness out of the box (it cut my finger with no effort; not the first knife I've done that with but probably first folding one). Anyway, here are ones from Amazon that I've got:

Ontario Rat

Rat II

ESEE BRK Designed Avispa Framelock

The original Rat is as good or better than the others and (now) cheaper. The others were, at times, cheaper when I bought them so get whatever is on sale out of this group. They're all decent out of the box for cheap EDC or, for my purpose, a home backup type knife.

For a cheaper knife with really good quality steel, the Buck mini Spitfire is made in the US:

Buck Knives 726 Mini Spitfire Blue BOS S30V Steel Folding Knife

I don't have any experience with this but for around 50 bucks, you can't go wrong. As a backup or go bag knife, its a no-brainer in my opinion.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG

Original PST
https://www.leatherman.com/collectors-edition-pst-532.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqJn9BRB0EiwAJ1SzteowPuJVG92YaB-GSYVbfd6BWmu-EF5dBHHQizm9BfKzhPGZTl5qZRoCbSgQAvD_BwE

My pocketknife

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MEYXRAY3/meyerco-darrel-ralph-military-x-ray-18-3-auto-black-tanto-combo-blade-aluminum-handles

Last ditch knife on my belt

https://www.crkt.com/s-p-e-w-small-pocket-everyday-wharncliffe.html

My only goal is to get a better multi tool like a charge TTI

ElephantRider
AG
Kershaw Cryo
IronAg45
AG
I've been carrying a Benchmade Mini Presidio II with the new CF Elite scales and it has served me well. Only slightly bigger than a mini grip.

https://www.benchmade.com/575-1-mini-presidio-ii.html
aggieforester05
AG
I'm carrying this SOG - Ultra XR Carbon & Gold

Super light and thin, but carbon fiber strength.

80sGeorge
AG
That's pretty cool. Does it feel pretty solid? Easy to open??
aggieforester05
AG
80sGeorge said:

That's pretty cool. Does it feel pretty solid? Easy to open??
Yeah, it's very stiff and easy to open/close. Only thing I don't like is that it's so light and thin you could easily drop it out of your pocket and not notice. I thought I lost it this week. Won't be wearing it while working outside anymore.
AgBass01
AG
I've daily carried a benchmade 940 Osborne since 2003.
O.G.
Emerson CQC-7 & 8
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Why did I open this thread? Just bought a benchmade.....
ursusguy
AG
Victoriox Swiss Army. Sharp as hell, practical, and if I lose, I'm out $19.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Since most of my everyday needs are pretty minor, I prefer a lightweight knife. I have some nice knives, but I grab an Opinel No. 6 often. It is light and sharp. If I lose it, I am out $15. Of course, I just ordered a smaller benchmade, so it may be my goto edc.
Ark03
AG
I have a lot of folding knives, but here's what I carry most often, in this order:

- Case mini trapper in CV steel - also my go-to skinning knife. Holds a fantastic edge, sharpens up easily, can skin multiple deer between honing - it's really hard to beat.
- Benchmade North Fork Axis - I carry this when I want a lockblade for whatever reason
- Buck Nobleman - my throwaway knife that I don't care if I lose, but it's not a bad substitute for the benchmade.

TAM85
Considering getting the Benchmade Freek. Has anyone heard anything about this knife or tried it?
Caladan
TAM85 said:

Considering getting the Benchmade Freek. Has anyone heard anything about this knife or tried it?
I haven't tried a standard Freek, but my wife has a Mini-Freek that she likes a lot. People seem to like the standard Freek quite a bit, as I have read a number of complimentary reviews about it. Certainly my wife likes her Mini.

Be aware that the Freek can be had in both G10 scales and a rubber-like scale material that is quite grippy with your pocket, and also holds on to dust as well. I don't think the rubber-like material will hold up over the long run like the G10 will, so keep that in mind. If they made a Mini w/G10 scales, I might buy it as the overall size is just about perfect for an EDC. But then again, the small version of the Hogue Doug Ritter is pretty much a G10 Mini-Freek anyway.......

C
dr_boogs
AG
ldg397 said:

I was suprised also to see caladan chine in. I guess I will have to update the spreadsheet on him gotta keep an eye on him far away and close up.

Fixed blades I tend to go with the bark rivers very happy with the several of those I own. It never ends I was into fixed blades now expanding into harchets and axes.

Don't ask him about air rifles either then.....
cz308
You'll laugh, but I carry the Spyderco Tatanka. Yeah, it's essentially a sword, but it hides extremely well in my pocket. Sharp as hell too.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.