Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gun Safe Decision (AMSEC vs Hollon)

8,264 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by junior200414
junior200414
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious on everyone's thoughts between two safes that I have come across locally and am looking to upgrade to. I am currently running a 2009 version of Liberty's Fatboy Jr (30min fire) and it has worked great, but I am selling it with our house and using this time to upgrade.

After lots of research, I have narrowed down to either the Hollon RG-39E or the AMSEC 7240E5. Locally, I found the Hollon for ~$2300 and the AMSEC for ~$1700. The AMSEC price seems to good to be true, but if so, it is a steal for that model. Neither of them are completely US made (kind of a bummer) and neither list their UL RSC ratings. The Hollon is built with great specs (10ga body and 1/4" door plate) and has a great advertised fire rating (2hrs) while the AMSEC is built with thinner steel (12ga body and 3/16" door plate) and has 60min fire rating. I should be fine with either one with regards to size, but I am getting hung up on Hollon's short company history vs the name recognition of AMSEC.

What say you? Hollon or AMSEC?

**I would love to go up to the AMSEC BFX, but that is out of the budget at the moment, so please do not run down that path.**
junior200414
AG
No input?

For everyone's troubles....

VegasAg98
AG
nothing to add other than... thanks!
PneumAg
Based on those specs, get the Hollon.
TX_COWDOC
AG
I wouldn't waste time / money on a gauge metal skinned safe. Watch the videos on YouTube. A skilled team (and they are out there) will be in that safe before ADT has even called you. I have had 2 AMSEC vault doors and they are solid. Before you buy, check out the Safe and Vault store up in Washington state. Best prices around. Dye or Dominic can help you.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AgResearch
AG
I have an AMSEC BF6030. Love it.

Took 3 guys to get it into my basement though. Had to take the door off first to bring the weight under the 800# limit of their cart.
aggiejumper
AG
Cow doc is correct. Go thicker, at least 1/2" plate. I have an AMSEC vault door and it's great. The door is a bit over 800lbs. Sucked to install but rock solid.
Remember that the new cordless tools are very powerful and can cut/break a lot of metal quickly; the plug in tools are even stronger. Cut the hinges off my door and you have 10 1.5" bolts holding the door in still.
SharkinAg
AG
I've got a hollon rg-42. It's positioned so the only place you can attack is the door and you can't any pry bar leverage due to the door being up against a wall. The room was literally built around the safe. I'm pleased. My next safe will be a sturdy safe when I move from this house in a few years.
JuCo CH46
Sturdy Safes. Thick sheet metal, basic but tight moving pieces.
HUEY04
AG
The AMSEC steel thickness isn't a direct comparison since they use a composite construction. I looked hard at AMSEC (my dad has one) and Sturdy but ultimately went with a Brown safe with 1/2" plate door and 3/8" walls and custom built to my dimensions. All of the door gaps are extremely tight and the lockup mechanism looks like it was built to withstand a nuclear bomb. I wouldn't want to mess with moving it at 1,500lbs but Safe Moves made it look easy.
junior200414
AG
So one of the big issues I am facing is that to get to the closet which it will reside, I have to go through two 24" door frames. One could be widened, but one can't without serious reno. So best I could do on that one is knock the door out to the rough in width (~26"). Depth is killing me with some safes. Not even sure the AMSEC will fit, but will go measure first hand this weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.