Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wild weather, is outdoors

3,135 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Todd 02
Hamburger Dan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In Lubbock, last Thursday, we tied a record of 89 degrees. Friday's temp was mid 50's. Saturday and Sunday was like a wind tunnel, even for our area. By Sunday evening, our area was put in a Winter Storm Warming. It's hard to tell, but we've had generally and inch or so of ice and sleet, with a little snow on top. Expecting 3-5" of mostly snow, through Wednesday morning. Things change quickly in Hub City.
rather be fishing
AG
Hamburger Dan said:

Things change quickly in Hub City.
Disagree. Lubbock still sucks.
SunrayAg
AG
We have about 4" of snow with more coming, 17 degrees, wind chill below 0. And we are supposed to be back in the 70's next week...
El Chupacabra
My dad is in Abilene...whining that he can't play golf today.
Hamburger Dan
El Chupacabra said:

My dad is in Abilene...whining that he can't play golf today.

I played in a tournament on Sunday. Started out sunny, light winds. By 11:00, some clouds and light north wind. We started at 1;00, by 1:30, it clouded up and started blowing. We finished around 5:00, with windchills at 33 degrees. It's been downhill since then.
AggieChemist
AG
Unnecessary comma, is in use.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Working East of Midland right now. EVERYTHING is covered in thick layers of ice. All my gas lift compressors are froze up. Nothing at tank batteries working correctly, major **** show.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
"By Sunday evening, our area was put in a Winter Storm Warming."

A Winter Storm Warming? Wow the weather really does change fast up there!
FinanceWildcat
Same thing in Abilene at our club championship. I teed off at 10:00 Saturday with thermals under my pants and a heavy sweater Because it was 41 degrees, then Sunday at 8:24 I was in shorts and a pullover that I shed by #3. I'm glad I didn't have to deal the front that blew in after lunch as the top flight was battling 15-20 mph north winds on the back 9.
agfan2013
AG
Was up in Lubbock and Amarillo Monday through Friday last week and feel like I got out at the right time. Friday was a cold sumb**** but i guess I'm lucky there wasn't any ice and snow with it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Saturday afternoon, 87F at GUMO. Sunday night 24F.

javajaws
AG
I'm starting to appreciate wearing a face mask outdoors!
Brennan22
Just pulled into Trinidad with a 26' uhaul. The stretch from Amarillo to Dumas had quite the pucker factor. Also saw 3 flipped semi trucks on the way up and a countless amount of road barrier damage.
60% of the time, it works every time
jtp01
AG
I live east of Dumas and none of us have been to town since Sunday. Except for me Monday night for a meeting in Sunray at the school. The kids have not been to school since Monday.

My kids live a different life than a lot of their friends, a "snow day" means breaking ice in the cattle/horse troughs and they can help feed hay to the cattle. Snow days mean we have automatic gate openers and it's AWESOME.
MouthBQ98
AG
Monday night I tried to use my Kindle to read in my Xterra while I was camped out. Who knew they had a minimum operating temp? I tried to turn it on and just displays a big thermometer.
Hamburger Dan
Had quite a bit more thunder sleet over night, along with approx 1" of snow. Most everything has moved eastward. Should be 71 by Saturday afternoon.
El Chupacabra
FinanceWildcat said:

Same thing in Abilene at our club championship. I teed off at 10:00 Saturday with thermals under my pants and a heavy sweater Because it was 41 degrees, then Sunday at 8:24 I was in shorts and a pullover that I shed by #3. I'm glad I didn't have to deal the front that blew in after lunch as the top flight was battling 15-20 mph north winds on the back 9.
Dad?
SunrayAg
AG
Now 6" of fresh snow, thundersnow for some of it, in the last 2 hours. On top of the 4" from Monday. Power is out in the entire northern panhandle I think, with no idea when it will be back on.

Fire in the fireplace. Heavy quilts on the bed. Hopefully we don't run out of firewood.
jtp01
AG
I had to go rescue my in laws in this mess. They were only 11 miles from the house when a semi ran them off the road. It took me 1.5 hours to get them and get back.

Supposedly school will start at 10:00 am, but I can't see the roads getting plowed quick enough. In the time I was gone, my tracks were already covered in the driveway.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
jtp01 said:

I had to go rescue my in laws in this mess. They were only 11 miles from the house when a semi ran them off the road. It took me 1.5 hours to get them and get back.

Supposedly school will start at 10:00 am, but I can't see the roads getting plowed quick enough. In the time I was gone, my tracks were already covered in the driveway.
Roads weren't too bad this morning, already started melting. It was eerie going through Dumas with all the power out. I bet the roads are in good shape by mid-late morning.
UTExan
That cold front hit Salt Lake last Monday and we broke a 142 year old record for low temps. It still only got down to 19. We are expecting to get close to 70 next week.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
CanyonAg77
AG
Outage map for Xcel energy

https://www.outagemap-xcelenergy.com/

At 9 this morning, 1239 outages effecting almost 36,000 customers.

I assume that's 36,000 meters, which means a whole lot more people. Canyon is lucky. North of the ice storms, south of the heavy snow. Thursday morning, it's already 36 degrees and sunny.
jtp01
AG
Rita blinka says prepare for several days with no power.
SunrayAg
AG
Power came back on in town about 7:30 this morning.
Todd 02
AG
We were out from 9:30a Wed to 12:30a Thur down in rural Lynn County. I'd installed an interlock with a generator inlet. Third party electricians wired the plug. Turns out they'd wired it as a simple 240v with no neutral...

I spent most of the day yesterday destroying drywall and fishing wire to make it function properly. Beat the power company by about three hours.

The portable genset (7,500W) works okay but doesn't run the heat pump. Back to the drawing board...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.