Outdoors
Sponsored by

What do y'all think of this buck

2,379 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gunny456
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw the one at C5 ranch / McGee hunt posted. Aggie guy I know took this down last weekend. Can't decide which is more epic.

Watchful Ag
AG
Depends if this one was high fenced like C5.
AstroAggie15
AG
Looks like something that came out of Chernobyl
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I wouldn't drink the tap water at that lease.
Gunny456
AG
A high fence would not make a difference, imho, if said high fence ranch had never brought in outside deer nor ever raised deer in pens....but merely managed the existing native herd to be able to realize it's true potential with proper management techniques, including range management for food sources and proper population and herd density dynamics.
As our old TPWD biologist quoted ....." It is amazing how good a native deer can be raised in certain areas of the hill country if people would just let the deer reach their potential with proper herd and habitat management."
If you ever have a chance stop in at the Coopers Bar B Q in Junction, Texas. He has numerous very old mounts of deer that were killed in Kimble County in the 40's, 50's and early 60's before there were any high fences around.
As we managed our KC ranch, ( never brought in any outside deer nor pen raised any of the existing native herd ) it was amazing that we could see the same genetic characteristics developing in our native herd that was evident in those old KC deer mounts.
The old biologist was correct. Great deer can be had in the hill country if they are just managed correctly.
The deer pictured looks like it has those same characteristics of some of those old mounts at Coopers ....perhaps he maybe was taken in that area?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
There is no question I would shoot that deer if I had the opportunity. However, I would much rather shoot a typical 10 or 12, even if it meant it scored 20-40" less.
Gunny456
AG
Yep. Nothing like a good old typical main frame Texas whitetail.
lazuras_dc
AG
Quote:

Coopers Bar B Q in Junction, Texas. He has numerous very old mounts of deer that were killed in Kimble County in the 40's, 50's and early 60's before there were any high fences around.

We stopped there for dinner on Wednesday on our way to Colorado. Truly impressive. The food was decent and the clerk kept talking to us about aliens and giants.
culdeus
AG
Too young, would have let him walk.
JYDog90
AG
culdeus said:

Too young, would have let him walk.

Watchful Ag
AG
Gunny456 said:

A high fence would not make a difference, imho, if said high fence ranch had never brought in outside deer nor ever raised deer in pens....but merely managed the existing native herd to be able to realize it's true potential with proper management techniques, including range management for food sources and proper population and herd density dynamics.
As our old TPWD biologist quoted ....." It is amazing how good a native deer can be raised in certain areas of the hill country if people would just let the deer reach their potential with proper herd and habitat management."
If you ever have a chance stop in at the Coopers Bar B Q in Junction, Texas. He has numerous very old mounts of deer that were killed in Kimble County in the 40's, 50's and early 60's before there were any high fences around.
As we managed our KC ranch, ( never brought in any outside deer nor pen raised any of the existing native herd ) it was amazing that we could see the same genetic characteristics developing in our native herd that was evident in those old KC deer mounts.
The old biologist was correct. Great deer can be had in the hill country if they are just managed correctly.
The deer pictured looks like it has those same characteristics of some of those old mounts at Coopers ....perhaps he maybe was taken in that area?

Gunny - I respect the possibility of that being the case, but my assumption was based on how prevalent deer breeding has become throughout the state and how often those deer end up in high fence ranches to speed up the genetic potential.

I also agree whole heartedly that most deer have much more potential than we usually allot them. Your point above is well received. Our WMA just up 377 near Mason is beginning to see similar benefits of an ongoing management system.

But ultimately, if the buck in the OP is high fenced and wasn't the result of a strictly managed native deer herd then I feel like it's slightly less epic than most low-fence brutes. Beautiful deer nonetheless.

normaleagle05
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Quote:

Coopers Bar B Q in Junction, Texas. He has numerous very old mounts of deer that were killed in Kimble County in the 40's, 50's and early 60's before there were any high fences around.

We stopped there for dinner on Wednesday on our way to Colorado. Truly impressive. The food was decent and the clerk kept talking to us about aliens and giants.

If you're hungry for BBQ at noon in Junction eat at 1:30 at Cooper's in Llano.
Gunny456
AG
Understand your point. I also agree with you on your thoughts. Well said.
Gunny456
AG
Yep. Coopers in Llano much better groceries.
Damn... now I'm hungry.... nice afternoon to drive to Llano.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The deer looks depressed in the first pic and like an upset child in the second.
Gunny456
AG
Yep.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.