Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lone Star Law

29,413 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by big ben
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They need to give Benny Richards his own show. I'd watch it.
johnrth
He seems like a really cool guy. Probably my favorite one on the show
hellapark
AG
Benny and Randolph McGee are my favorites. And the two guys in jasper, can't remember their names but one is big ol boy.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Justin Eddins and Morgan Inman
mrsbeer05
AG
Back during Harvey, the wardens and their film crew took my family from our house. The wardens got me and the boys (4 1/2and a little over 1 at the time) and the film crew got my husband and the dogs. The Texas Game Wardens are my favorite Texas LEOs bar none.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Does Justin Eddins end up finding him a woman?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

I never knew about his wife until recently. Sad story.
Ag 11
AG
I love that show.
Benny and Justin & Morgan are my favorites. I like Mike Boone too
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I never realized he was a cop in Richardson prior to becoming a GW. Saw that on one of the episodes that goes "behind the scenes" and adds commentary. Makes a lot of sense and explains a lot.
Average Joe
AG
The Eddins are good people. Justin's brother and dad are on my lease over in Warren. They care a lot about getting kids involved with the outdoors, hunting and fishing. They also love to take care of people in need.

Roy, Justin's brother, will run the leases around ours a few days leading up to opening day and ends up with 5 or 6 deer that were taken by hunters illegally each day. We'll process them and he takes them around to families that could stand to have some more food in the freezer.

I've never met Justin, but I have no doubt that the generous things you see him do on the show is as genuine as it gets.
wareagle044
I learn a lot from watching that show. Saved as a favorite on YouTube tv
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If anyone that watches that show, or really anyone posting on this board, for that matter, fails to fill in their harvest log, they deserve the ticket. It is not just the show, I've been checked by 3 game wardens in the past year and a half and every single one of them looks at it and I have been around 1 guy that didn't fill his out. He got lucky and just got a warning but the GW was not happy.
Gunny456
AG
I really enjoy the show. I have met most of them in the marine business and they are good people. I understand it was quite an honor if you were picked for the show.
Gunny456
ursusguy
AG
The harvest log is like antler restrictions, it's been around long enough now that there really isn't a good excuse.

Benny is way more affable on the show than in person. He was pretty well known for his drug busts before the show came out. But Red River and Hunt Counties will do that to you.
ursusguy
AG
Fun note. Last week I was helping run the Fannin County deer survey, and had a landowner run up on us. He figured out we were legit, "I tried calling Randolf about someone spotlighting my pastures but he didn't pick up". I thought the dude's voice sounded familiar. Turned out the guy was on an episode of Lone Star Law (I think last year's). The episode where a neighbor was complaining about deer carcasses being dumped in a creek, and they initially reported they thought he did it (he didn't). He seemed pretty proud of his appearance on the show, in a good light.
CS78
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If anyone that watches that show, or really anyone posting on this board, for that matter, fails to fill in their harvest log, they deserve the ticket. It is not just the show, I've been checked by 3 game wardens in the past year and a half and every single one of them looks at it and I have been around 1 guy that didn't fill his out. He got lucky and just got a warning but the GW was not happy.

Its really fun when you're a duck hunter and they treat you like a convicted felon because you threw away all your deer tags. They see that empty log and just start watering at the mouth.
Cromagnum
AG
Like the show but some of our laws are pretty stupid. I can see why a lot of people hate game wardens.

When you are shooting a deer 100 yards away, there is no way you can tell if the antler gap is 13 inches or 12 until you've already shot the buck and measured.

Giving tickets to kids who shot their first deer ever and didn't know how to properly fill out their tags.

Follow people to a gas station and see that one fish is out of compliance, so confiscate their entire catch.
RCR06
AG
I get your point Ursus and if you're going to hunt something you should find out how to do it legally. I've never deer hunted. Mostly bird hunting and fishing. The first time I ever saw or heard anything about a harvest log was watching Lone Star Law. Now if you hunt deer every year I can understand that not being an excuse, but I can understand some people not knowing. I knew about the tags, but as a bird hunter I put the license in my wallet and it generally stays there all year.
powerbelly
AG
RCR06 said:

I get your point Ursus and if you're going to hunt something you should find out how to do it legally. I've never deer hunted. Mostly bird hunting and fishing. The first time I ever saw or heard anything about a harvest log was watching Lone Star Law. Now if you hunt deer every year I can understand that not being an excuse, but I can understand some people not knowing. I knew about the tags, but as a bird hunter I put the license in my wallet and it generally stays there all year.
Maybe just read the section in the regulations about tagging the deer before you go deer hunting for the first time. It is very straightforward.
CS78
RCR06 said:

Thats very typical. Ive taken a lot of new deer hunters out and everyone knows about the tags but most don't know about the log. It's the most ticketed "offense" and warnings are rarely given.
schmellba99
AG
CS78 said:

RCR06 said:

Thats very typical. Ive taken a lot of new deer hunters out and everyone knows about the tags but most don't know about the log. It's the most ticketed "offense" and warnings are rarely given.
It's a chicken sht ticket too IMO. Especially if you've tagged the deer properly. You can fill the log out, but if you do something as simple as neglect to check the "Over 13" " box, you can still get a ticket.

Most of these pissant type of regs like this are designed specifically so that there is opportunity to give tickets by the GW's.
ratfacemcdougal
Question from the olds....It seems like the Hunter Education rule has been around long enough now that a large portion of hunters have to have the HE. SO does the HE course address the proper way to tag and fill out your log? If so, then there is no reason for it to not be filled in....especially for the younger hunters.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Giving tickets to kids who shot their first deer ever and didn't know how to properly fill out their tags.
If you're talking about a show that aired last night, it was a warning.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Roy, Justin's brother, will run the leases around ours a few days leading up to opening day and ends up with 5 or 6 deer taken illegally each day. We'll process them and he takes them around to families that could stand to have some more food in the freezer.
You wrote that like Roy is the one taking the deer.
CanyonAg77
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

SanAntoneAg said:

I never knew about his wife until recently. Sad story.
Do you want to expound for those of us who don't know?
SchnauzerMom
A Google search indicates she was operating a zero turn mower and fell into The Angelina River. She became trapped and drowned, Justin didn't find her in time.

Edit: spelling
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks.

Personal opinion: when commenting on a story on TexAgs, it's polite to assume that not everyone knows what the heck you're talking about, and expecting them to Google it.
SchnauzerMom
Apologies, I wasn't trying to be rude. When I saw the initial comment followed by your question, I thought it was going to be something not a lot was known about, a bit mysterious or something. But that wasn't the case and I didn't properly convey that initially.

Average Joe
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Roy, Justin's brother, will run the leases around ours a few days leading up to opening day and ends up with 5 or 6 deer taken illegally each day. We'll process them and he takes them around to families that could stand to have some more food in the freezer.
You wrote that like Roy is the one taking the deer.
Look, no one said we had to English well here!

He's obviously taking the deer from people who shot the deer illegally. Typically they will get to the lease a few days early, shoot a deer, and then fill out their tags as if they shot it opening day. However, the 13 inch rule makes up a good portion of them, as well, and they are never even close.
ElephantRider
AG
Mike Boone is my favorite.

I always shudder a little bit when I see Steve Stapleton on my tv.
CanyonAg77
AG
SchnauzerMom said:

Apologies, I wasn't trying to be rude. When I saw the initial comment followed by your question, I thought it was going to be something not a lot was known about, a bit mysterious or something. But that wasn't the case and I didn't properly convey that initially.

No, no, I wasn't calling you rude. I appreciate you letting me know.

I was referring to the poster who first mentioned it, while apparently assuming we all knew about it. And rude might be too strong, anyway? Inconsiderate? Not thinking it through?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

He's obviously taking the deer from people who shot the deer illegally.
If it were obvious to me, I wouldn't have commented.

After reading it a few time, I made the assumption that you meant he was taking them from poachers.
ElephantRider
AG
ursusguy said:

The harvest log is like antler restrictions, it's been around long enough now that there really isn't a good excuse.

Benny is way more affable on the show than in person. He was pretty well known for his drug busts before the show came out. But Red River and Hunt Counties will do that to you.

My wife is from Delta County and would be offended that it wasn't included in your distinguished list.
Cromagnum
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

If you're talking about a show that aired last night, it was a warning.

Didn't watch that one yet. Saw it happen on a rerun the other day.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.