Outdoors
Sponsored by

AGGIES DO IT

2,631 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rheolag1
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I was cleaning out my office today for a move to a new building. I found this in the bottom of one of my drawers inside a small box. It was given to me by Anthony Guion. We worked together for a while when I started with my current company. He explained that it was pretty old when he gave it to me. His Grandfather was the namesake of Guion Hall that stood until 1971 on campus and he was also the President of the Texas A&M board of directors until his death in 1920.

Can anyone remember these and what their significance was? My dad class of '76 has never seen one.

Thanks and Gig'em.

As a bonus, here is Guion Hall.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Even educated fleas do it
RCR06
AG
Nothing to add except I've never eve heard of Guion hall. Thanks for the history lesson.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Our tree looked like crap back then.
Gig 'em! '90
eric76
AG
RCR06 said:

Nothing to add except I've never eve heard of Guion hall. Thanks for the history lesson.
Probably not the Ghost of Guion Hall either, then?
JB!98
AG
eric76 said:

RCR06 said:

Eric, my Dad is class of '76 and obviously the place was gone by the time he started in '72. Do you know if it was located in the same place or proximity of Rudder Tower?
eric76
AG
JB!98 said:

eric76 said:

RCR06 said:

Eric, my Dad is class of '76 and obviously the place was gone by the time he started in '72. Do you know if it was located in the same place or proximity of Rudder Tower?
I never saw it, either. The very first time I stepped foot on campus at A&M was in January 1972.

A friend of mine from the Class of '69 remembered it well and spoke fondly of it. One thing he talked about was going to movies there.

I have some Aggielands from the early 1950s. An Aggie from back then passed away about a year ago and when someone cleaned up the house, they ended up at the recycling center. One of the city employees told me about them and so I went and got them. I told the son of that Aggie, also an Aggie, that we had them a month or two ago and so if he wants them to come get them. I'll take a look and if they are still in the building, maybe there will be some pictures of it.

Of course, if the pictures do not explicitly identify it as Guion Hall, I probably won't know if they are.

He mentioned the Ghost of Guion Hall a couple of times, too.
JB!98
AG
eric76 said:

JB!98 said:

eric76 said:

RCR06 said:

I never saw it, either. The very first time I stepped foot on campus at A&M was in January 1972.

A friend of mine from the Class of '69 remembered it well and spoke fondly of it. One thing he talked about was going to movies there.

I have some Aggielands from the early 1950s. An Aggie from back then passed away about a year ago and when someone cleaned up the house, they ended up at the recycling center. One of the city employees told me about them and so I went and got them. I told the son of that Aggie, also an Aggie, that we had them a month or two ago and so if he wants them to come get them. I'll take a look and if they are still in the building, maybe there will be some pictures of it.

Of course, if the pictures do not explicitly identify it as Guion Hall, I probably won't know if they are.

He mentioned the Ghost of Guion Hall a couple of times, too.
Thanks Eric.
JB!98
AG
RCR06 said:

https://myaggienation.com/campus_evolution/demolished_buildings/guion-hall-1918-1971/article_a2e7b4c2-1388-11e3-b7e4-001a4bcf887a.html

This a pretty good website for old buildings at Aggieland. Now I am interested in the ghost stories.

Here is a picture of it being demolished.

We could have had a hell of a good looking campus if we had not torn down some of the historic buildings to embrace the soviet architecture of blocker etc...
JB!98
AG
Welp as always, TEXAGS knows stuff. Still interested in the button. Tony was at A&M and then drafted to go to Vietnam. He finished up school in Corpus after 2 tours.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2263274
southernboy1
AG
That was a good looking building. Any clue as to why it was demolished? Besides making room for the new. I read earlier that it was hard to see the stage because of the layout.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Where was it located? What all was located in it?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
JB!98 said:

RCR06 said:

https://myaggienation.com/campus_evolution/demolished_buildings/guion-hall-1918-1971/article_a2e7b4c2-1388-11e3-b7e4-001a4bcf887a.html

This a pretty good website for old buildings at Aggieland. Now I am interested in the ghost stories.

Here is a picture of it being demolished.

We could have had a hell of a good looking campus if we had not torn down some of the historic buildings to embrace the soviet architecture of blocker etc...

And we are still doing this garbage today. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

https://myaggienation.com/campus_evolution/building_history/article_b7970a94-11b2-11e3-8cf0-0019bb2963f4.html
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
RCR06
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Where was it located? What all was located in it?

Best I could find was that it was about a 2500 seat auditorium and it was located about where rudder is now.
sunchaser
AG
At that time there was a street that ran along side of Hart Hall where I lived up past The Academic Bldg to North gate. There was also a street that was on the south side of Hart that ran in front of the Military Science building and the MSC.

Guion ran North South across the street from Hart on the east edge of where Rudder is now. Lots of touch football games between Guion and MSC.
eric76
AG
eric76 said:

I have some Aggielands from the early 1950s. An Aggie from back then passed away about a year ago and when someone cleaned up the house, they ended up at the recycling center. One of the city employees told me about them and so I went and got them. I told the son of that Aggie, also an Aggie, that we had them a month or two ago and so if he wants them to come get them.

It was the '48 Longhorn and the '49, '50, '51, and '52 Aggielands. They have been returned to their rightful owner.
rheolag1
There was a parking lot at the rear of Guion Hall where commuters parked . When you parked facing back door of Guion Hall and looked left the MSC was in view and if you looked 45* more to left G Rollie White was across the street . I think C. K . Eston the PA announcer for Kyle Field and Aggie football had an office in Guion Hall . It seems we observed him arriving and leaving the building often. If you looked in your rear view mirror you could see the President's residence. I'm class of '70 .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.