Outdoors
Sponsored by

PortaCool Outdoor Fans

12,364 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Burdizzo
CSTXAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OB -

Researching outdoor cooling opitions and found PortaCool. Do these work in central Texas? Are there alternatives you think are worth considering? Application is outdoor kitchen / pool deck area.
TxAg20
AG
Their effectiveness is inverse to humidity. In the dry heat of west Texas they're incredible. In the hill country, they're helpful. Either place, you have to be directly in front of them to feel their effectiveness if you're using them outdoors.
EMY92
AG
They won't hurt, but they do better in lower humidity environments. They utilize the evaporative cooling affect, that's hard to get with high humidity. When you really need the cooling, it will work more like an expensive fan.
Roger That
AG
Mine is great as long as you're in the direction of the airflow. Get the biggest one that fits your space and that you can afford
GeorgiAg
AG
SortaCool
Galt
AG
Agree with the comments above.

We have four PortaCools in a 5000 sqft insulated barn with one open side (east side) in Johnson City. These are all JetStreams and vary in size. The hottest I've ever seen the interior of the barn get in 2.5 summers is 78 degrees (this is not in the fan area). This is on days at 105. More often, mid-70's is our internal temp. Run them around 14 hours/day, trouble free so long as you keep the tubes and pump clean.

In our barn, I think about half the cooling is due to the Portacools, and the other half is insulation benefit.

I like them and have no problem recommending the big evaporative coolers to others.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
TxAg20 said:

Their effectiveness is inverse to humidity. In the dry heat of west Texas they're incredible. In the hill country, they're helpful. Either place, you have to be directly in front of them to feel their effectiveness if you're using them outdoors.

And on the gulf coast... Useless.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Use one in my Garage gym in BCS. It is better than a fan, but not as good as an A/C.

I really like them. The bigger the better.
DeWrecking Crew
I live in the BCS area and have a large one for my outdoor kitchen, yes they make a difference if you are in the flow path of the fan, there is a significant difference between running it as just a fan and running it as an evaporative cooling fan....just realize, you're still trying to air condition the outdoors, nothing you buy is going to really work, especially in Texas
RCR06
AG
I always heard people say they don't work well in humid climates. As several people have said they are most affective in drier climates, but they still provide benefits in a humid climate. I was working at the shell refinery in deer park a few years ago. They had one set up for the security guards at the contractor gate. You would have to walk in front of it to badge in and out. It was much cooler in front of the porta cool than anywhere else. Quite nice to be honest.. They do work in humid climates, but you don't see as dramatic of an affect as in drier climates.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I used to have one in NW Houston years ago. It was under our outdoor porch area near the pool. I thought it worked great and certainly made a difference under there.
CSTXAg92
AG
Thanks OB. Appreciate the responses.
SMM48
AG
How much do they go for? High - low.
lawless89
I work for an industrial fan company out of Tennessee and we are licensed to sell Portacool. They are awesome machines. Yes, they don't do as well in humid conditions, but they actually only add 2% humidity to the air. So if it's 90% humidity, the difference is minimal.

They will run you over $1k minimum for the right unit, but don't go cheap. Amazon has them I believe. Portacool Jetstream is one of their best. The 48 inch is awesome, but it's massive.
RCR06
AG
FunkyKO said:

How much do they go for? High - low.
Depends on the size of the unit. $500-6k I think is a close range.
SMM48
AG
Thanks
AgEng98
lawless89 said:

they actually only add 2% humidity to the air. So if it's 90% humidity, the difference is minimal.

RH is a measure of air's capacity to hold moisture, not the amount of moisture in the air. When the air is that close to saturation, it simply can't evaporate much water, so evaporative cooling won't make that much difference.

Evaporative cooling will increase RH significantly (not that it really means anything since RH is a pointless metric). Take extreme design (99.9%) conditions for Houston, the cooling design point is 94 F at 47% RH (77 F wet bulb). Wet bulb is the limiting factor here. Assuming an evaporative efficiency of 75% for a 6" pad, you'll end up with an exit temperature of around 81 F and the coincident RH will be 84%.

The only time it's 90% RH anywhere is just before or after the air temperature has cooled to the dewpoint. It's certainly not in the heat of the day when you'd be using evaporative cooling.

As a general comment, evaporative cooling works just fine in humid climates if you couple it with air movement. Every single commercial animal housing system (chickens, turkeys, swine, dairy) in the Southeast US uses it because it works.

The biggest issue in this application is that you don't have adequate cfm to cool the "space" and your distribution will be terrible. You'd probably be just as good to get a high pressure fogging system and multiple smaller fans.
nonameag99
Any idea if cool/cold water helps evap

I forget my thermo
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
nonameag99 said:

Any idea if cool/cold water helps evap

I forget my thermo

I tried to forget my thermo but this thread keeps bringing it up.

It will help but the sensible heat removal is a good bit less than the latent and so a few degrees difference won't matter to much.
Ogre09
AG
AgEng98 said:

lawless89 said:

they actually only add 2% humidity to the air. So if it's 90% humidity, the difference is minimal.

RH is a measure of air's capacity to hold moisture, not the amount of moisture in the air. When the air is that close to saturation, it simply can't evaporate much water, so evaporative cooling won't make that much difference.

Evaporative cooling will increase RH significantly (not that it really means anything since RH is a pointless metric). Take extreme design (99.9%) conditions for Houston, the cooling design point is 94 F at 47% RH (77 F wet bulb). Wet bulb is the limiting factor here. Assuming an evaporative efficiency of 75% for a 6" pad, you'll end up with an exit temperature of around 81 F and the coincident RH will be 84%.

The only time it's 90% RH anywhere is just before or after the air temperature has cooled to the dewpoint. It's certainly not in the heat of the day when you'd be using evaporative cooling.

As a general comment, evaporative cooling works just fine in humid climates if you couple it with air movement. Every single commercial animal housing system (chickens, turkeys, swine, dairy) in the Southeast US uses it because it works.

The biggest issue in this application is that you don't have adequate cfm to cool the "space" and your distribution will be terrible. You'd probably be just as good to get a high pressure fogging system and multiple smaller fans.

Forecast here for 10AM is 88F with 80%RH. Noon is 90F with 75% RH. An evaporative cooler won't do much for those conditions.
AgEng98
Cold water doesn't help enough to be worth the trouble. I'd have to back and read the paper, but it might be half a degree or so. Latent heat of vaporization doesn't change that much with temperature, at least over the range we're talking about.
AgEng98
Evaporative cooling is adiabatic. You're simply swapping sensible for latent. No sensible heat removal.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
AgEng98 said:

Evaporative cooling is adiabatic. You're simply swapping sensible for latent. No sensible heat removal.

Looks like I wasn't wholly unsuccessful in forgetting my thermo...
AgEng98
I feel the same way about dynamics.
Ogre09
AG
Fluids is all I use lately.
DeWrecking Crew
AgEng98 said:

lawless89 said:

This is why the OB board is one of the best on the web, I now know why my Portacool works, but only when standing in the flow path. I've known it works in humid conditions from experience, just couldn't explain why.
aggielax11
AG
Wife's cousin has one and it's great. They put a couple of bags of ice on the bottom and a little water and it's like an AC
Absolute
AG
We have a Hessaire brand one. It's helpful in the patio, given all the limitations listed above. Worth the investment. It came with some of the blue plastic ice cooler things that fit the upper tray. They don't do much of anything though.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
There is a reason we use cooling towers in Houston. Which is most air conditioned city in America. Portacool functions similar to a miniature cooling tower. Evap cooling is way more efficient than just blowing air across a surface no matter where you are. I have never taken thermodynamics, but have worked around industrial HVAC enough to know Evap cooling is most efficient way to go.

My grandfather was an old Aggie mechanical engineer. He built a small cooling tower at his house. It lasted 40 years and was way more efficient than your typical condensing unit you buy at home depot.
HalifaxAg
AG
Big Ass Fans ftw
Daytona22
AG
Big Ass Fans makes an evaporative cooler now as well as of May it looks like. Any insight into those? Been looking into something to add to the tailgate and use down at the lake during the summer months.
AgEng98
I think their unit uses 8" media where Portacool uses 6" (i think). The 8" should have better temp drop, all things being equal.
AgEng98
I looked at the big box stores and was horrified at the cost of media. If you need replacement media, go to your nearest poultry or swine supply house.
AgEng98
You can get the same effect on a residential AC condenser by running a hose on it. Not that I recommend it.
RFD
AG
Just had one delivered yesterday. Did not break a sweat while cooking ribs yesterday.

This thing made a pretty big difference.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.