Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hurricane Plywood Board Storage ideas or other DIY shutter option

7,046 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Whoop Delecto
5StarShield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a project to do this weekend and the wife suggested finding a new storage place for the ~25 boards I have leaning against the wall in the garage in two separate stacks. Putting them in my attic won't work - it's full.

I'm considering buying a lean-to shed to get them out of the garage and free up more space but haven't found one I like. Anybody have a solution they've used that they would recommend?

Or have you installed other shutter options so you could get rid of the plywood? i.e. aluminum shutters.

If it helps for alternative suggestions, we have stucco and many of our windows have the styrofoam trim covered by stucco which requires the longer anchor bolts.

TIA
SMM48
AG
Aluminum shutters are nice still have to store them somewhere.

The auto shutters are your next step. Cost more but free up storage and can keep certain rooms shut in summer or winter. Helps with electric bill
5StarShield
AG
I'd look into installing the aluminum shutters but not sure the best place to buy the supplies. Anyone have experience?
lazuras_dc
AG
I put up a couple overhead storage racks https://www.garage-organization.com/Product/MonsterRax-MR-4x8-H-Pack-24.aspx?f=gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfqdk7Oo6gIVhMDACh0ZQwZpEAQYASABEgJwK_D_BwE
in the garage and that's where they went. Also nice to keep the fertilizer and insecticide where the kids can't reach.

Major brownie points for clearing up the garage, btw
Whoop Delecto
AG
The Fife
A lot of people I know with them do what you're doin right now. Otherwise I've seen a few people hang them from the ceiling which frees up a lot of square footage.

Sounds like hurricane rated windows are out of the question but that's a good 0 space required solution. Or operable shutters that you close when weather is coming. They might not look out of place on your house.
5StarShield
AG
Thanks for the suggestion. Finished putting it up last night. I'll probably replace the flags with some shelves eventually but I like them for now.

Whoop Delecto
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.