Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best fish for frying

11,572 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FIDO*98*
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love fried fish but with two little kids at home I don't always have time to go fishing. What are your favorite types of commercially available fish to fry? My wife isn't a big fan of catfish so that takes a big chunk of the frying style fish off the market for us. TIA advance for your tips.
rootube
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I love fried fish but with two little kids at home I don't always have time to go fishing. What are your favorite types of commercially available fish to fry? My wife isn't a big fan of catfish so that takes a big chunk of the frying style fish off the market for us. TIA advance for your tips.
Cod, tilapia, and sea trout are good but catfish is the obvious answer, sorry for your loss.
Unemployed
AG
Flounder.
76Ag
AG
Fresh caught crappie bar none. The best fried fish but you have to catch several.
water turkey
Crappie
AgEng06
AG
76Ag said:

Fresh caught crappie bar none. The best fried fish but you have to catch several dozen.
FIFY
trip98
AG
He said commercially available so crappie is out... But it is the best
Catfish would be best but that got ruled out
Mahi Mahi like they do at snoopy's down in corpus is good
Or cod
I wouldn't fry flounder or snapper or salmon.... Unless u try tempura batter
Tilapia u could but meh
If u can hit a good fish market there would be more options but if only a place like heb you might just stick to shrimp unless they bring in Mahi
RO519
AG
Crappie, speckled trout, white bass in that order.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
trip98 said:

He said commercially available so crappie is out... But it is the best
Catfish would be best but that got ruled out
Mahi Mahi like they do at snoopy's down in corpus is good
Or cod
I wouldn't fry flounder or snapper or salmon.... Unless u try tempura batter
Tilapia u could but meh
If u can hit a good fish market there would be more options but if only a place like heb you might just stick to shrimp unless they bring in Mahi
Went to Snoopy's over the Memorial Day Weekend. Got the fried platter with fish, shrimp, and oysters. It was good, but I thought out of all the food we had that weekend, Giggity's in Port A had the best fried platter.

That being said, catfish is my go-to for fried. OP, what doesn't she like about it?
FIDO*98*
AG
Cod is probably going to be the best combo of good to fry and decent value. Not sure why you wouldn't fry Snapper or Flounder. Both are excellent fried as is Mahi

Tilapia is ass. If your wife doesn't like catfish, she probably won't like that mud eater either
TKEAg04
AG
Red Snapper.
FIDO*98*
AG
My fried fish is pretty legendary with my circle of friends. It's complicated, but, worth it. I make a wet batter followed by a dry dredge for my go-to.

Mix about a 1.25c of self-rising flour and a Shiner Bock to thin pancake batter consistency. Season with salt.

I chunk the fish or leave filets whole and marinate in the batter for an hour or two.

While that's going I make my dry dredge.

Take a sleeve of Saltines, a sleeve of Town House (or Ritz), zest of a lemon and some fresh parsley to a food processor. Pulse until it's a fine cracker meal.

Add a box of panko and 1/2c corn flour. Season the dry dredge with a little Slap ya Momma and old bay

Take the fish from the wet batter and drop in the dry. Dredge pressing firmly to coat.

Fry till GBAD

Cancelled
AG
Bluegill
swampstander
AG
queso1 said:

Bluegill
DING DING DING!
Ragoo
AG
Tilapia is disgusting trash fish.
coastalAg
AG
FIDO*98* said:

My fried fish is pretty legendary with my circle of friends. It's complicated, but, worth it. I make a wet batter followed by a dry dredge for my go-to.

Mix about a 1.25c of self-rising flour and a Shiner Bock to thin pancake batter consistency. Season with salt.

I chunk the fish or leave filets whole and marinate in the batter for an hour or two.

While that's going I make my dry dredge.

Take a sleeve of Saltines, a sleeve of Town House (or Ritz), zest of a lemon and some fresh parsley to a food processor. Pulse until it's a fine cracker meal.

Add a box of panko and 1/2c corn flour. Season the dry dredge with a little Slap ya Momma and old bay

Take the fish from the wet batter and drop in the dry. Dredge pressing firmly to coat.

Fry till GBAD

I use your recipe and get nothing but rave reviews.
rootube
AG
Ragoo said:

Meh. People not in the south often say the same about catfish.
Badace52
AG
I am from the south and I agree with those people. I really only like catfish blackened.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
rootube said:

Ragoo said:

Meh. People not in the south often say the same about catfish.
well, tilapia is an imported fish and don't survive in cold water so the regionality of your comment doesn't make sense.

Also, most people eat catfish bartered and deep fried exclusively. It isn't a delicacy but also doesn't taste foul, muddy sure but tilapia is down right putrid in taste.
buddybee
Would FIDO *98* recipe work if you air fry the fish. Because of health reasons I now air fry any help is welcome. I love fried fish.
GMaster0
Just my preference are catfish, bluegills and crappie.

I also like haddock and have a never ending supply of halibut since I live close to AK and take trips up their each summer.

trip98
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Cod is probably going to be the best combo of good to fry and decent value. Not sure why you wouldn't fry Snapper or Flounder. Both are excellent fried as is Mahi

Tilapia is ass. If your wife doesn't like catfish, she probably won't like that mud eater either

Reason I said don't fry flounder or snapper is that seems like a waste of such a fine eating fish when grilled. More meat than crappie, just as soft and tasty so fish like that in our house gets grilled
Occasionally blackened
Same goes for grouper
Or stuffed flounder is the bomb too
STX Ag
AG
How has no one said specks or redfish?
Eagle2020
AG
Fresh speckled trout is fine but I don't see it sold commercially. I really like black drum sticks fried more than just about any commercially sold fish.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Orange Roughy or Flounder would be my choices from a grocery store.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
STX Ag
AG
GreyhoundDad said:

Fresh speckled trout is fine but I don't see it sold commercially. I really like black drum sticks fried more than just about any commercially sold fish.

You're right. I have to go with flounder then.
BurrOak
AG
I don't doubt that this tastes fantastic, but dang man, there's so much going on here that it could probably make a fried turd taste halfway decent because of everything going on.

Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. I'll leave that one for you to test out.
AgEng06
AG
BurrOak said:

I don't doubt that this tastes fantastic, but dang man, there's so much going on here that it could probably make a fried turd taste halfway decent because of everything going on.

Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. I'll leave that one for you to test out.

Paging ursus...
combat wombat™
AG
flounder, imo.
docb
AG
Walleye. Unfortunately I've never seen it on a menu down here.
clobby
AG
Walleye or crappie
Courtesy Flush
AG
STX Ag said:

GreyhoundDad said:

You're right. I have to go with flounder then.

Both trout and redfish are game fish so it can't be harvested commercially. Black drum can and a barely legal black drum is about as good as it gets. I don't particularly like to fry flounder. The flavor is great but I find the meat to be a bit mushy for frying. I grilled some whole flounder last week and it was incredible.
Martin Cash
AG
Yellow cat, battered in corn meal, deep fried in hog lard.
CS78
To answer your question simply, get some tilapia, cut the lateral line out of it and as much of the red meat as you can. Its good fish. 90% of the restaurants are using it as their "fried fish" these days. If it taste putrid then it must have gone bad.

Along the same lines, people that say catfish taste muddy are having it without the red fat removed.

Should be a rule with all fish.
CT'97
AG
I would buy catfish and tell your wife it's tilapia or something else. I know I'm a bad husband for suggesting you lie to your wife, but I doubt she could tell the difference.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.