Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pond/Lake fishing around Katy

6,217 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
Watchful Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never been much of a fisherman. Grew up in a family that hunted more than anything and fishing (especially freshwater) was always pushed to the back burner.

But recently I had a friend ask if I wanted to go fish a pond close by. We didn't catch any fish, but I definitely caught the itch to get back out there ASAP. I've since gone back three times, and each time I've had more and more luck.

The various fishing threads on here have helped me more than y'all can imagine, so THANK YOU to all the people out there willing to divulge information and further the discussion on catching fish.

Most recent trip on 5/22

Tx95Ag
AG
Looks like you got it going on. I live in Katy, with a pond just around the corner. I love it because I can go on Saturday morning for an hour and be back in the house before my wife or kids are really stirring. It really is a good way to kill an hour or two. In the spring, I just leave a rod in the jeep and stop every time I have a spare half hour.
Tx95Ag
AG
Double post.
Tx95Ag
AG
triple post?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Third pic is a spotted bass.
Law361
AG
Nice fish! I live between Katy and Sugar Land. Recently downloaded the app "FishBrain"...seems like some good info on there. Shows ponds, catches, and what lures were used.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Pretty sure you are in my neighborhood. Off of Roesner?
docb
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Third pic is a spotted bass.
Sure looks like one to me. Funny that would have been stocked in that pond.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Let's link up and fish! I personally prefer the bayous in the area but several lakes around are good. Firethorne and if you can fish it, Falcon Point. The front pond(s) in falcon point produced a couple of double digit bass back in the day. I had a friend that worked there and we had access to it on Mondays.

Caught several small cats yesterday at our lake in Cinco but there are some really good options in the area. One of the best ways to catch fish in these types of ponds, in my opinion, is to start feeding the turtles and get a little frenzy going. Throw in your bait and wait for the bigger fish to come up. My kids loved it!

Edit to add: I wasn't fishing - the kids were. Happy to get the kids fishing whenever!
Watchful Ag
AG
Tx95Ag said:

Looks like you got it going on. I live in Katy, with a pond just around the corner. I love it because I can go on Saturday morning for an hour and be back in the house before my wife or kids are really stirring. It really is a good way to kill an hour or two. In the spring, I just leave a rod in the jeep and stop every time I have a spare half hour.
I've been doing the same thing recently, just not always waiting until the weekend. I caught all of these fish within a 3 minute drive from my house
Watchful Ag
AG
I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
TKEAg04
AG
There is a large retention pond behind Katy mills mall that I used to slay the bass at when I lived in the area. No idea what it's like now though.
aftershock
TKEAg04 said:

There is a large retention pond behind Katy mills mall that I used to slay the bass at when I lived in the area. No idea what it's like now though.

That area is soon to be the Katy Boardwalk

https://katyboardwalkdistrict.com/#about
Watchful Ag
AG
Close, but no cigar. Off Gaston
Watchful Ag
AG
I'll shoot you a text next time I'm planning to head out. Intrigued to hear your approach on fishing the bayou
TKEAg04
AG
I lived near here in ~2014 and would catch 20+ in an afternoon. No idea what it's like now though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
TKEAg04 said:

I lived near here in ~2014 and would catch 20+ in an afternoon. No idea what it's like now though.

thats all under construction for the new Katy Harbor or whatever it's called. Pretty sure there is no access now.

It was a very solid honey hole.
TKEAg04
AG
Well that sucks. That was my favorite spot in west Houston. I started fishing there in 2012 and would get all kinds of looks when I parked at Katy mills mall and would walk across the parking lot with all my poles. That spot was pretty secluded and didn't get much pressure like the other neighborhood ponds. Many afternoons I would go home with the fish still biting after catching 20+ 1-2lb bass.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's pretty simple in the bayous. You're looking for the deeper pockets, usually around bends or near drainage ports. There especially good when you have shallow structure like rocks nearby.

Tons of good habitat south of Kingsland all the way to Fry on Mason Creek. Good spots as you get into George Bush Park, just passed the sewage treatment plant.

I know you're not far from buffalo bayou but it can be tricky. Some really good spots but I am not even sure how to access them anymore. The big stretch between Cinco, Seven Meadows and Cinco (east and west of 99) is pretty shallow. As you get closer to Fry and George Bush it gets better.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You might be able to park near one of the west side parking lots and walk around the berm/privacy hill to get there... probably worth checking out. I assumed it was all shutdown due to the construction and development.
TKEAg04
AG
I live in Idaho now. No chance in going back. Fly fishing is way more fun anyways..
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Well don't you just suck!
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Close, but no cigar. Off Gaston

Good. That is my fishing spot.. I have seen a few people try and catch em but they just cannot seem to figure it out. Even gave em a few hints.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
brs4688 said:

Pretty sure you are in my neighborhood. Off of Roesner?
Which neighborhood? Sounds close to me...
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Wyndehaven lakes
Watchful Ag
AG
What are you catching? Wasn't that lake only developed a few years back?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Watchful Ag said:

What are you catching? Wasn't that lake only developed a few years back?

Neighborhood been here for 8 years. Not sure when lake was dug and stocked. Mainly largemouth bass and catfish. Have not caught a catfish in years bc I quit trying to catch them. Stupid turtles would get hooked and then snap line. There are some turtles in here the size of a cookie sheet
AgTech88
AG
Katy Fishing Holes
AgTech88
aftershock
I caught this one several years ago in the ponds off of Meadowbrook Farms Club Dr. I caught tons of fish over there almost all on RatLTraps. Almost always caught fish that were 2-4 lbs. This one was by far the biggest one I caught, and is still a PR for me. Unfortunately I didn't have a scale on me that day, so I don't know exactly what it weighed. I know I hadn't caught anything that big before, and haven't caught anything that big since. Last time I went out there they had posted up "No Fishing" signs, so if you prefer to follow the rules you might want to look elsewhere. Otherwise it's definitely worth a shot if you live over that way.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not related to this thread but anyone else here without power until the morning? I know 1-2 of you are pretty close to me.
Know1
AG
John Paul Landing is really nice, but I haven't had any luck out there yet. Anybody caught anything out there?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Not related to this thread but anyone else here without power until the morning? I know 1-2 of you are pretty close to me.

Power was on and off throughout the night. My buddy lives about a mile away and his power was off since 1630
76Ag
AG
I fish in Grayson Lakes. There are fish there because I've caught a few but it's hard to read because there is no structure other than the concrete ring around the lakes. Most fish I have caught were within ten feet of the bank. The water is stained and I don't feel comfortable fishing in someone's back yard to cast under their little docks. I've been trying to find other places but with no luck. I will soon be unemployed so I will have more time, unfortunately. There is a small lake at Wood Creek subdivision but I've heard they will run you off if you don't live there. It's supposed to be really good fishing.
aftershock
Stacy_L_Jones said:

John Paul Landing is really nice, but I haven't had any luck out there yet. Anybody caught anything out there?
I was talking to a customer of mine who worked for the county when they were digging and stocking those ponds. He said they stocked it with some really nice size fish to make it a premier fishing spot for locals. I went out there one day to check it out. Didn't have poles with me, so I just walked around for a little bit. Its nice out there. My only issues are A) I don't like fishing in chocolate milk and B) the place is huge and will be hard to reach most spots from the bank. If they could get the water to clear up a little and let kayakers or something out there I bet it'd be a good spot.
Know1
AG
Chocolate milk is an accurate description! It is huge....betting once it clears up it'll be a nice spot. Seems like most folks still don't know it's there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.