Outdoors
Sponsored by

4100fps Doe Death Ray

12,156 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tcc66
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This will be a mostly technical thread about my current for fun gun project. If reloading or rifles isn't your thing, it might bore you. Hopefully there will be some blood in the making too.

Ive long known that the most effective, dont take a step, deer loads are the ones at the higher end of the velocity scale. Ask people that have shot many deer with a 22-250 and they'll tell you the deer rarely go anywhere but down. That is, until you center a shoulder knuckle and the bullet fails to penetrate both lungs. Ive always been interested in a common cartridge that could push a 80-90 grain bullet at or above 22-250 velocities. It should have relatively low recoil, while providing devastating impact on small/ medium deer.

Ive recently changed hunting property and some of my feeders are set on the edges of VERY thick woods. Yaupon and saw briars so thick that you cant see five yards. The type where tracking can only been done on your hands and knees and good luck dragging a deer back out the typical 40 yards that they run. This re-ignited my interest in a super fast round to drop them where they stand.

Quick research showed there is no factory round that does what I was looking for. An A-bolt in 270 win has been my old standard deer gun so my reloading research started there. I had no desire for a wildcat but I found some people out there loading 6.8spc bullets in to the 270 win with good results. If a 270 win could do it then why not a 270 Winchester Short Mag? Some more research showed Barnes has the exact loads published that Im looking for. 85 Grain TSX flat base coming out of a 24" barrel in the 3800-3900 range. https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/270-Winchester-Short-Magnum.pdf

If a 24" barrel was good, then why not a 28". I knew from other reports online to hope for about 200fps increase when adding the four extra inches to the 270wsm. This would be a suppressed gun so my love for single shots would work perfect. Another 1885 added to the stable but this time in 270 WSM with a 28" barrel. Precision Barrel Work did a beautiful job of threading and squaring up the muzzle to match the AAC Jaeger that's currently in jail.

Next step was to settle on a load out of the options listed by Barnes. I decided on Ramshot Hunter powder because it's known to be less sensitive to temperature changes normally found in fall/ winter hunting situations. I would have never believed it but a quick check of midway and they had all the components, dies, etc in stock all at the same time. I dont do a ton of reloading but I dont think Ive ever been able to buy everything I wanted from one vendor all in one shot.

Components received. Next order of business was to find the lands in the barrel to determine seating depth. My prior rifle reloading experience has been pretty limited so I had never done this before. This was the method I went with and it seemed to work pretty well. Maybe there are better methods?

I did this for both the 85 grn TSX and 90 grn Gold Dots. You can see the significant roll that ogive plays in when the projectile will touch the lands. Both bullets seated on the edge of the lands.

For my first starting loads, I wanted to stick as close to the Barnes loads as possible so I went ahead and seated to their 2.650 COAL. The result does kinda look like an overgrown 22-250.

To the precision gun range to commence testing. The set up. Not the best rest but it works for what I do. The can is a gemtech tracker until the Jaeger is free. The combo is long but not as long as a standard bolt action plus suppressor. Shes heavy but is well balanced for her weight.

First three rounds are the Barnes minimum load of 69 grains. 3875, 3847, 3875. Group was about 1.5" at 100 yards. Very happy for a first attempt.

Next three rounds are 74 grains of the Ramshot Hunter. Wow!! 4093, 4077, and 4115! And that was still .5 grains below the Barnes max load.

Group was a little bigger at about 1 3/4". Very satisfied for a first loading at that high of a velocity. I kind of expected it to be all over the place at that speed.

Spent brass still slides in and out of the chamber easily by hand.

Can anyone tell me how much of a concern is the splattered edge of the firing pin impact? Ive heard conflicting thoughts on it and Ive seen this more than once on factory ammo.

Next step will be to start seating the bullet further towards the lands to see if I can get her to tighten up some. In the meantime I need to find a boar to volunteer to be shot square in the shoulder with that Barnes. Guessing it might shed its pedals but the base should make it through.

As I said, I dont have a ton of rifle reloading experience. Feel free to add any thoughts, comments, or questions. If you see something I could do better, feel free to share.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
That is awesome and an excellent project. The barrel life at 4100fps though... hope you can get a load worked up before the barrel burns out.
Naveronski
AG
Wow! Guess you're not going for 10k round barrel life?

That's cool though, definitely screaming.
CS78
Tx-Ag2010 said:

That is awesome and an excellent project. The barrel life at 4100fps though... hope you can get a load worked up before the barrel burns out.
I do wonder about barrel life but honestly, I could probably hunt with this gun for the rest of my life and never get more than a couple hundred rounds through it. Id hope to be able to settle on a load in 20-30 rounds, then no more than a dozen a year after that. I did give it 5-10 minutes between each shot and plan to stick to that as a rule.

What is the normal barrel life on a really fast round?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
You probably won't have a problem with barrel life for a purely hunting rig. I probably only shot two boxes of ammo in 15 years out of my deer rifle when I was growing up.

I don't push any of my loads nearly that hot so can't speak from personal experience but having looked into a number of similar cartridges I wouldn't be surprised if the barrel life was in the 500-1000 round range.
agsalaska
AG
Quote:

That is a totally awesome project and a fantastic rifle. I love mine. And a fantastic cartridge. Seems to me that the .270WSM was the best of the WSM project though I have never owned one. Great choice.

As for the barrel life, I would put a semi educated guess at well under 1,000 rounds, but all of my experience is second hand. Is that the original barrel?

Not sure I agree with the speed and DRT premise. But who cares. I am sure that gun will be highly effective in DRT results on Texas white tail.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
El Chupacabra
I've always been a proponent of 'speed kills', so I like this thread.
jmm
To tie into your thread, I cull deer every year for ranches out west. For years, I kept a log of the bullet and load that I used and the resulting impact/did they run off. The big deal about culling in volume is not having to track. I like every deer to not take a step. About 10 years ago I stumbled upon the 110 grain TTSX in .308 caliber for my '06. Tried several powder combinations and settled on 52.0 grains of RL10X. Runs out my 24" Pacnor barrel at a little over 3500 fps. It is a killer. I have shot hundreds of deer with this load. They never take a step and I have never captured a bullet, no matter the angle. It just works.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Did the primers start to flow/splatter only at the high end of the load range? Or did they look like this at relatively light loads too? I personally have seen a difference in the primer flow between different brands of primers as well as different guns.

Do you have any other pressure signs? Below is a link from Primal Rights that does a pretty good job detailing the pressure signs.

Understanding Pressure

[url=https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/understanding-pressure][/url]At the end of the day I would only go as far as you're comfortable.

jmm
I use CCI regular primers. I don't any real signs of pressure. The primers may flatten a little. I neck size only and have reused the cases many times. I clean the barrel once a year. And that's after a pretty long year of culling in Africa and West Texas. In Africa I don't use the 110 grain TTSX. I use the 180 A-frame. Works for big game. I'll carry my .223 bolt action if impala, springbok size game are being culled.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I was curious what bullets you were using since you can absolutely exceed the speed it was designed to work at (I've seen people talk about this when it came to shooting deer with .357 and .44 out of lever actions).

Man, they designed that one to rip at some scorching speeds from the get go, I'd be surprised if the extra couple hundred fps youre at give you any performance issues in game.

Interesting project.
schmellba99
AG
Nothing wrong with those primers.

Be careful working into the lands, especially if you are using all copper rounds. It's been a while, but it seems they like or need more of a jump and can generate some pretty good initial pressures if you have them too close. Verify that with research, I'm going off of memory here.

I've generally found that a .003"-.005" setback from the lands gives me the best results, so almost on them.
AggiePetro07
AG
Primers look fine. Typically a primer like that that has a good radius and isn't flat is just indicative of a firing pin hole slightly too large for the firing pin. The material from the primer cup flows a little into the space between the pin and the pin hole.

When the radius of the primer starts to flow into the channel between the case head and primer you might be having issues, but primers are not the best indication of pressure issues.

Looks like an amazingly fun project.
swampstander
AG
Love reloading threads.
TxSquarebody
I love high velocity rounds! My .240 Cobra pushes a 6mm bullet just north of 3700 fps. Pushing just over 4000 fps with my .220 swift loads.
Floor it until you see God
agsalaska
AG
TxSquarebody said:

I love high velocity rounds! My .240 Cobra pushes a 6mm bullet just north of 3700 fps. Pushing just over 4000 fps with my .220 swift loads.
It is something that I could absolutely get in to. Early in my career I had a .WInchester 70 in 220 Swift come in the store. But I was broke back then and didn't buy it. I probably think about that gun at least once a month. This was probably in 2002.

I wouldn't want to do the larger calibers. I will own a .220 swift one day.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
2wealfth Man
AG
jmm
Interesting video. I have had the complete opposite results with 168 grain TTSX and '06. I had trouble with pressure with different loads. They were all on the high end of published loads, but nothing crazy. Stuck cases, blown primers, etc.. Took it to Africa and culled some wildebeest with them. Pretty poor performance. Of the 8 bullets tried on that trip and 61 wildebeest culled, the TTSX performed the worst. Brought it back and used on whitetail culls that winter. Killed them all, but did not get the instant knockdown I look for. Had a couple zip thru without expanding. Dead deer, just took a while to find it. So, my experiments tell ME that light for caliber TTSX and very fast speeds are wonderful for deer size game. I am going to cull some elk cows this fall with the 130 grain TTSX in the '06. I think it will work fabulously.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
One of the guys I know designed a 6mm super magnum firing a 95gr bullet at 4500fps or so, and he claims his barrel life is in the 400rd range at most. Wonder where yours will end up? And I wonder if the back pressure from your suppressor will affect anything?

If you put a thread cap on and fire a three shot group, does the grouping get tighter for you?
ironmanag
AG
Very cool build
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
CS78
Went and checked cameras and found a 120lb boar that was hitting a feeder every evening at dark. 75 yard shot. Entrance was right in the thick part of the tough shoulder shield.

Impact with the humerus and violent destruction of the shoulder. Cant see it in the pic due to the connective tissue but hole through the front side ribs was about 5" across. Didn't open the cavity to see but much smaller exit through the far side ribs.

Not much damage to the far side shoulder. Small exit hole through the far side shoulder plate with one petal stuck in it.

One of the more nasty impacts Ive ever seen. More violent than any ballistic tip but with better penetration. Hope to find a bigger boar to try the same shot on.

CS78
Had a couple sows on camera every morning at 6:30. Our 3yo woke me up about 5:15. Laid in bed trying to decide if I felt like messing with them. Got to the blind at 6:20 and one already there. Rushed shot hit high spine about half way back. Still got good lung blood.

Lunch buffet is set for the buzzards and back to the gas station for a fried egg and bacon biscuit.

Going to be another hot and humid one!

BlueSmoke
I have a .270, but I've been taking deer for the better part of a decade now with my 22-250 and it's fantastic. Giant 10-pt on my wall was from a neck shot with 55gr PSPs. All about shot placement.
CS78
Finally got back around to loading the 90 grn gold dots. Max load is 73.9 grains of the ramshot hunter. I went with 72.5.

Velocity ran around 3900-3950 fps. 3 shot group at 100 yards came in under an inch. Good enough for me!

Knowing the bullet wouldn't exactly penetrate deep, I decided to kill some milk jugs at 50 yards. VIOLENT! The force of the water expanding outwards literally uprooted the grass in front of and to the sides of the front two jugs. Remainder of bullet was in front of the third jug.

Bullet was designed for the 6.8spc. Impressive that there was anything left to weigh.

Think im going to bump up half a grain to try to get back over 4000 just out of princIple. No doubt anything that gets hit in the lungs with that bullet isn't going anywhere. The question is whether or not the bullet can make it through the shoulder of a mature buck if a shot ends up a little forward. Time for more pork testing.
BCStalk
ConstructionAg01
AG
This is such a great thread. Keep it up!
txrancher69
AG
In the mid '60s I bought a Remington Model 788 in 22-250 with bull barrel and still hunt with it today. It is my go-to whitetail rifle. That's the weapon I learned to hand load with and many a round was put together in my Corps dorm room. Can you imagine setting up on campus to reload like that today?

Anyway, I have always loaded hot and that barrel is still printing under an inch here in 2020. I have no idea how many rounds I have sent down range, mostly Sierra boat tail 55 grain spitzer, but it has been a lot. That 22-250 has taken over 200 deer, the longest at 305 paces. He dropped in his tracks with a blown up heart. I don't recall anything that took more than one shot, it's a killer caliber.

Great project you are working on and I thank you for your excellent post. Reloading is addictive and believe me you can go way deep down that rabbit hole.
TxSquarebody
That's really good for a .270 bullet! I built a .240 cobra on a 26" barrel that gets right near 4000 fps with one load, but the 3500 fps load is most accurate. Absolutely love high velocity rifles! Great job!
CS78
Some last minute pork testing this evening before laying low for next weekends archery opener. Brought the 10-22/ Gemtech Mist for coon duty.

Two coons down but giving the opossum a free pass in the lights.

Main target. A little smaller than would like at about 80lbs but clean pass through the thick of both shoulders with the 90 grain Speer.

Nice exit wound about 3/4".

Bullet exited with enough energy to blow blood spatter about 6ft. I feel confident that a lack of penetration doesnt look to be a concern.

Slamn Sharpe
God's work
CajunAggie
AG
Quote:

If reloading or rifles isn't your thing, it might bore you.

I see what you did there.

(I like the rest of the thread, too.)
docb
AG
If that is your view from the stand I think an open sight 30-30 would be the way to go there. Doesn't look to be a very far shot at all.
CS78
Blood and Gore Warning!!!

Had one of them Baws over from Louisiana for some freezer filling with this setup.

You know they can't get far from their bud light.

125 yard shot. Dead in her tracks. Initial inspection showed entrance a little forward in to the brisket. Obvious broken far side shoulder but no exit.

The wound was catastrophic. Ive never seen anything like it. Bullet made impact with the dense sternum and made a mess of the whole area. Then blew out the far side shoulder and stuck in the skin.

More props to Speer for making a bullet that can impact dense bone at extreme speed while rapidly expanding and still holding together.

BCOBQ98
AG
Looks like it works!

I like anything out of the norm when it comes to guns so this is a different perspective vs a criticism. I also like fast rifles and love my 22-250AI.

A few years ago I shot a mule deer with my 375H&H and 300 grain bullet and it fell over not to move a yard. The meat damage was far less than that when my son has shot does with his 243. I also shot an impala with the same results. I'm in the camp of throw a big slower bullet and it won't go anywhere.

Benny0
How many deer and bang flop kills exactly are you up to now with that 110 grain load, or did you lose count at some point?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.