Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake Fork is still my favorite.

2,987 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1990AG
Blue Duck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Lake Fork is one of those places that when I was a little kid I thought ... someday I'm gonna go there. I've been a few times now and it still has me intrigued. All this covid crap cancelled The Legend of Lake Fork Tournament this past week but it didn't cancel the deposit on our house booking so my buddy and I still loaded up and went. We didn't have a tournament to fish but we were going to hit it hard.

We left late Wednesday night and caught a few hours of sleep in the parking lot at the boat ramp. We couldn't check in to our rent house till Thursday afternoon and didn't want to waste a day. That topwater bite is gonna happen early and we wanted to be there. I don't like sleeping in the truck but it's worth it for a good fish!

That sunrise made it worth it.

The first fish of the trip. It took about 5 casts. It wasn't a giant but it was good to see one come in the boat.

The Yellow Magic is properly named. We killed them all weekend long on it. It didn't matter the time of day, it still worked and we kept chunking them. My Yellow Magic survived the trip but needs a new paint job. I think I'm going to retire it and break out a new one. It did its job.

If you've been to Fork you know what an over is. If you haven't, it's a fish that's over the 16-24 inch slot limit. I'm not saying it's a big deal to everyone but it is to me and my buddies. Catching an over is something that you all start the week dreaming of. The buddy I was fishing with has caught a million good fish, some double digit whoppers and knows Lake Fork like his home lake. He's never caught an over. He's caught several 23.75 inch fish but never broke that 24 inch mark. I did though... on the first morning. I threw my creature bait to a little cut, one hop and boom ... drag was being pulled. She tail danced once and we knew we had something good on the line. We started yelling when she hit the bottom of the net. She was pretty spawned out and only weighed 7.5 but she was 24 inches long and had a huge frame. I'd have liked to have seen her prior to the spawn or in a week or 2 when she had fattened back up on some shad but she was mine and I was happy to have her. Trip made 6 hours into it. I even took a picture of the plastic that did it for me cause I'm that kind of guy. We took some pictures with her, showed her off to our other buddies and then let her go to grow. I miss her already.

I'll spare you the details on all the fish cause we caught a lot of them. There's just something about fishing in a place that has a chance to put out a giant that makes you want to keep fishing. Plenty of 3 and 4 pound fish keep you interested and a 5 sprinkled in just to get the heart rate up. We hit it hard for 3 days and only took a break to catch some monster crappie once. I didn't take pictures of them cause it was pouring but trust me, bass aren't the only fish that grow big in Fork.

Sunrise on the lake is always something to see, I've never been disappointed in one.

The shad spawn was trying to kick off and herons were hitting them real hard on the banks. If you could find the birds, you could find the fish.

Name that duck??

Cruising back home. You don't spend a lot of time at top speed on this lake if you aren't in the boat lane.

No one ever has enough plastics, me included.

Pretty good trip all the way around. Lot's of fish, lots of wildlife and only one bad storm that we had to ride out underneath a bridge. Old timers say it isn't what it once was and that may be right but it's still something. I'll be back again, you can bet on that!

PharmD4
AG
Black bellied tree duck

Always open your threads for the pics. Did not disappoint.
Trigger06
AG
Cool trip! Looks like fun.

And the duck is a black bellied whistler.

Edit - beat me to the punch
oldarmy76
Didn't know you made it that far east blue duck.
LRHF
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I don't know how you got all those action shots. I'd lose the camera and the fish.
Slamn Sharpe
The people who decide the length limit are like freaking wizards. Every time I've gone to a lake I come up less than an inch short. I think twice I've come up 1/4 short. I feel like I'm getting Punk'd every time. Nice pics
AgDad121619
AG
Incredible fish fighting pics - I love seeing them break water trying to throw the plug. Need to make a trip there soon ...
Blue Duck
AG
I generally try to stay west of Fort Worth but I'll go east for some good fishing!
docb
AG
I need to fish Lake Fork once to just say I did it. We are truly fortunate to have a lot of great bass lakes in the state.
Blue Duck
AG
It was a combination of a good lens, a fishing partner who hooked several on long casts and a bunch of fish that wanted to do some tail dancing!
Blue Duck
AG
It's worth a trip for sure!
Blue Duck
AG
It's awesome but makes me incredibly nervous when it's a great big fish!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Niiiice.
rock08
AG
That's awesome man.
What great photography!

Thanks for sharing
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Love Yellow Magic
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Makes sense why LFG was back on the Fork this past week.

Awesome stories and awesome pictures. I hope to do some lake tours across East Texas down the line when my son gets older and I have a boat of my own to fish out of. But for now he is 6 and I don't trailer my electric 12' JB tiny bass boat.
kyledr04
AG
Love fishing Fork. Had lots of tough days but the good ones can be great. Still chasing a 10
Post removed:
by user
PA24
AG
Lake Fork is special....I love Lake Fork. Back in 1990, u could see the record fish called Independence at one of diner's aquariums. Fish was huge.

But try a coupe of days at Falcon Lake for some big bass for the norm.

Crappies under the Zappata Bridge as dawn breaks will fill ur ice chest that is for sho.

Blue Duck
AG
I'm gonna do that. I've spent some time fishing in the Devils River and would like to try the big lake!
Blue Duck
AG
Falcon is on the list!
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Awesome write up and pics. This brings back a lot of memories. My 1st bass was caught on that lake. I have seen the largest bass ever caught by my friend 11+lbs on that lake. Great scenery. Great people.

Glad you got to enjoy it.

A blue star for you sir!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Wonderful post! Love it!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
arrow
AG
Great pics! I fished Lake Fork for the first time last year for crappie. We still joke about my first (and only) Lake Fork bass. It was about 4" long.
1990AG
AG
Man I miss East Texas Bass fishing!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.