Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can we have a squirrel body count thread?

9,413 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or will the bleeding hearts ruin it? I took out one this morning that was at my bird feeder. A rabbit was there too but I don't mess with those
Unemployed
AG
I captured two at the same time in the trap this morning. They can't resist the lure of apples.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Chester got him one today messing with my chickens.

pdc093
Chester looks like he thinks that critter may get up and run!
Mark Fairchild
AG
When we lived in Midland I must have shot several hundreds, not a brag a real fact. We had big pine trees in the backyard (note: DO NOT EVER HAVE PINE TREES, EVER). When I would go to the backyard there would be these large piles of kinda wood chips every where. Took a while to figure out what they were, found out by accident. Standing under one of the pines one day a shower of these wood chips were falling all around me. Looking up, there is Mr. Squirrel sitting on a limb eating a Green Pine Cone. Using those big front teeth to pull back the layers and eat the seed, spit out the part that was not seed. Pretty soon found that green cones are like crack cocaine to squirrels. They would just sit on a limb and let you shoot them, never moved, just kept chewing away. The pine cone kills resulted in 60% of my many kills, most in 24 hrs was 6 with 5 of those in 2 hours. We used to just slaughter them!!!! GREAT FUN!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Hoyt Ag
AG
He watched him for 10 minutes juuuussstt to make sure that didn't happen.
RCR06
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

When we lived in Midland I must have shot several hundreds, not a brag a real fact. We had big pine trees in the backyard (note: DO NOT EVER HAVE PINE TREES, EVER). When I would go to the backyard there would be these large piles of kinda wood chips every where. Took a while to figure out what they were, found out by accident. Standing under one of the pines one day a shower of these wood chips were falling all around me. Looking up, there is Mr. Squirrel sitting on a limb eating a Green Pine Cone. Using those big front teeth to pull back the layers and eat the seed, spit out the part that was not seed. Pretty soon found that green cones are like crack cocaine to squirrels. They would just sit on a limb and let you shoot them, never moved, just kept chewing away. The pine cone kills resulted in 60% of my many kills, most in 24 hrs was 6 with 5 of those in 2 hours. We used to just slaughter them!!!! GREAT FUN!
I was just telling someone the other day about one of my parents friends that was live trapping squirrels in their backyard and complaining about how many he had caught so far(around 50). The only problem was that he was taking them about a 3/4 mile away before releasing them. My dad suggested that this wasn't near far enough and that he was probably catching the same ones over and over. Parents friend told my dad there is no way they can find their way back here. My dad suggested he start hitting them with a shot of white spray paint before releasing them. After catching three with white paint on their back he started taking them much farther away.

The squirrels have left me alone, but the neighbors cats seem to be using my backyard as a highway/bathroom. Still thinking about how I should handle that one.
Daddy-O5
AG
Earholed one at 30yds this morning. I bought my Gamo Whisper 4 days ago when squirrels started getting on the bird feeder and I'm in double digits (10-11) for the week.

First one shot a few days ago. Assist in finding it goes to my Aussie.

dr_boogs
AG
Nice set up! Post up some photos and details on the air rifle and tripod. I've had to curtail my .22 subsonics even w my can due to construction somewhat near the backyard.
Build It
AG
Took out one before work yesterday. I left the house late and he made a fatal mistake of jumping off fence into lawn. They have found my corn bait so this afternoon it's on.
Build It
AG
Well crap I love my gammo but now if got to get it mounted on my tripod.
Build It
AG
Trap and relo
aggiedent
AG
Here's my question. Since there are like eleventy billion squirrels in every square mile, what purpose does it serve? Might as well shoot individual fire ants.
Pantera
AG
Which Gamo Whisper did you get? I'm looking into purchasing one but don't know whether to spend $99 or $999 lol
RCR06
AG
strauss12 said:

Which Gamo Whisper did you get? I'm looking into purchasing one but don't know whether to spend $99 or $999 lol

Theres a thread discussing pellet rifles just this week that talks all about it.
Pantera
AG
thank ya! It's Saturday so to hell with the search feature for me
RCR06
AG
Build It said:

Trap and relo

Seems like the most sensible. I live in town in a heavily populated area. More of a relocate to the country or take to the pound decision. Hate to take some kids pet to the country and they always wonder what happened.
Daddy-O5
AG

Setup:

Gamo Fusion Whisper Mach 1
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gamo-whisper-fusion-mach-1-22-caliber-air-rifle

Scope: Simmons 3-9x
Simmons 511039 3 - 9 x 32mm .22... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KOSB34?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Pellets: Gamo Rocket Pellets .22
Gamo 632127554 Rocket Pellets .22 Caliber Tin of 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002APN1C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N3bWEbGB7SF6M

Reaper Grip and Slik Tripod usually used for my hog setup. But since I'm shooting squirrels in my backyard.... what the hell?
RCR06
AG
strauss12 said:

thank ya! It's Saturday so to hell with the search feature for me

No worries. I just happened to have been following it.
Daddy-O5
AG
FWIW I swapped out the scope that came with the rifle. Lots of bad online reviews about the scope (not the rifle) and I found them to be pretty spot on. Another poster on the other thread had a better experience than me.

But since I put on the Simmons it's been nails for the past two days. Including this morning when all I could see was the head and put it in his ear a 30yds.

Also I think most of the Gamo Whisper variation .22's are subsonic and would serve anyone well.
Build It
AG
I've been in same situation. Last house the neighbors cat liked to piss on my front porch for some reason. Neighbor would not keep him inside. She wandered off one day...........
FriscoAggieFan
AG
I started my tree rat eradication campaign about 3 years ago. I declared war when they started chewing on my house. I'm up in the high 90's at this point and have seen no decline in population whatsoever. If we ever sell this house and someone decides to put in a pool they are going to be like "WTF!!" when they break ground.
The Fall Guy
AG
I have relocated over 100 of them in 3 years. I have a small backyard so shooting with an air rifle is out of the question. BBs don't do squat. I trap them and take them far away. Sometimes released others drowned. Depending on how many people are around.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
How strong are your stomachs... The pictures posted so far are really tame.

A slow day in the blind and watching these tree rats spin out corn for a couple hours didn't end well for them.

This guy wouldn't stop chattering when and was 10' away... The choice was 500 S&W or my bow.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
I did eat the two that weren't completely mangled.
chjoak
AG
I've heard of people trying these with squirrels and having good success...

Zaiquiri
AG
Nailed a peach thieving fat sow yesterday with my .22 pellet rifle.

AgTech88
AG
Explain to me how this guy could even climb trees with these things?

AgTech88
Tx-Ag2010
AG
AgTech88 said:

Explain to me how this guy could even climb trees with these things?

Impressive but not all that uncommon.

STX Ag
AG
Is that gravy? Please tell me that's gravy.
giddings_ag_06
AG
aggiedent said:

Here's my question. Since there are like eleventy billion squirrels in every square mile, what purpose does it serve? Might as well shoot individual fire ants.
FancyKetchup14
AG
aggiedent said:

Because shooting tree rats is immensely satisfying.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Squirrels don't bother me. Armadillos? That's another story. 130+.
TX AG 88
AG
i've got rock squirrels here in san antonio. they have a burrow under my pool. we've been peacefully co-existing for the last 10 years (somewhat less, since they weren't here right at the beginning...)

Now I've got some tomato plants and cilantro growing on my deck, among other things. Something ate the early cilantro and I thought it was bugs. Sevin dust worked for a while, but not long. Then my tomatoes that were almost ripe got pulled off and half-eaten. I figured racoon and put up a fence around my "garden" (all in pots)). Turns out it was the rock squirrels. caught one right in the act! My "one humane attempt" to keep them out failed (the wire fencing wasn't fine enough to keep them out) so I got rat poison. One half-eaten tomato was loaded with some and more of the bait was put around the other containers. I also put one by the opening to their den. Those two have disappeared, and some of the others have been disturbed. Hopefully they're mostly dead. I want some pico de gallo!
giddings_ag_06
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Squirrels don't bother me. Armadillos? That's another story. 130+.

Kill em all!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.