Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can we have a squirrel body count thread?

9,383 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+1 This morning. 26 total starting out wk 3 of my war against the tree rodents.

Had a couple of misses at the end of last week that must have been operator error, dead on this morning. My dog has also decided to stop waiting for me to shoot the squirrels to chase them down resulting in a lower kill count as of late (second half of last week was nearly nada).

Also I've determined a .22 pellet really is the way to go, especially in residential areas. Quieter, stays subsonic, and by the time it gets to my fence line it's theoretically outside the pellets effective range (although I still take caution not to find out). Also some squirrels go down on the spot, but lots I've hit in the shoulder/neck area still running off 20-30 yards and making it to/over the fence line. I imagine recovery rate would be even less with a .177....?

Unemployed
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Had a couple of misses at the end of last week that must have been operator error, dead on this morning. My dog has also decided to stop waiting for me to shoot the squirrels to chase them down resulting in a lower kill count as of late (second half of last week was nearly nada).

Also I've determined a .22 pellet really is the way to go, especially in residential areas. Quieter, stays subsonic, and by the time it gets to my fence line it's theoretically outside the pellets effective range (although I still take caution not to find out). Also some squirrels go down on the spot, but lots I've hit in the shoulder/neck area still running off 20-30 yards and making it to/over the fence line. I imagine recovery rate would be even less with a .177....?

Main reason I trap instead of shooting them with the BB gun. Don't want the neighbors to find dead squirrels in their backyards.
Daddy-O5
AG
I've had the same thought, but my dog and her newfound tracking skills have ultimately left me with only one that I'm not 100% sure of where it ended up. She did track one that made it just over the fence and my fat a$$ had to jump it to collect the corpse. Out of self preservation I've started taking more selective shots and they've stopped making it as far.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
RealTalk said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Main reason I trap instead of shooting them with the BB gun. Don't want the neighbors to find dead squirrels in their backyards.

You can always go with the tried and true...

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Rumor that this is out of Florida
Daddy-O5
AG
One way to keep them from running off.... shoot them in the face. At about 30-35 yds. +3 this morning.
Slamn Sharpe

GumboMaverick

This one was hanging on the tree bleeding out until he feel and kept the damn pecan in his mouth the entire time.
Slamn Sharpe

Fell in the neighbors yard. Neck shot from a distance

Slamn Sharpe

Right behind the ear. Mauser loves chewing on squirrels
Slamn Sharpe

I mentioned to learn to shoot with the opposite hand and that's exactly how I had to get this guy. Aimed around the corner

Slamn Sharpe

Slamn Sharpe
Its been awhile but I'm up to #19. My female doberman has spotted the last few and it allows me to get the pellet gun while she holds the tree rat in place. She went bonkers over this one and even grabbed the wounded squirrel off the tree. Squirrel put up a fight

Prince_Ahmed
I know they can be a bit of a nuisance, but at least last time when you guys did this thread it was during the spring squirrel season.

Now that it's not, I assume you're all taking them as a nuisance. Following that logic, does this mean I can also shoot the deer eating my garden?
Slamn Sharpe
Sure
planoaggie123
AG
Interested in this thread.

Do you all take a similar approach with rabbits? We don't have a ton of either but combined we do have enough and they like our flowers (rabbits) and tearing up house (squirrels)

It seems like this is almost sport vs effective based on what I am reading? Seems like if you are taking out 100+ then you are not preventing. Not judging just curious on thoughts on potentially effective treatment of our issue.
cledus6150
AG
You are aware that some Texas counties have a year long open season on squirrels.

I'm up to 10, the suppressed 22 works wonders on the fig thieves as they are sitting on top of my fence gorging themselves in my figs!
Prince_Ahmed
cledus6150 said:

You are aware that some Texas counties have a year long open season on squirrels.

I'm up to 10, the suppressed 22 works wonders on the fig thieves as they are sitting on top of my fence gorging themselves in my figs!
If you want to follow that logic, then make sure you aren't wasting game. I make a good squirrel gumbo myself - how are you preparing your squirrels?

Waste of Game

It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting, kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve it and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes or pos- sesses a game bird, game animal, or a fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions in an edible condition. It is a Class A misdemeanor to fail to retrieve or fail to keep in an edible condition a white-tailed or mule deer, pronghorn, or desert bighorn sheep hunted: without landowner consent; from a vehicle, boat, or aircraft (including unmanned aerial vehicles) on a public road; at night; or with the aid of a light.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/laws-penalties-restitution
Slamn Sharpe
Ah... you're the squirrel police. You'll fit in nicely here
cledus6150
AG
Never said i was wasting game sir, i actually make squirrel and dumplins outta my fox squirrels and fried squirrel outta my cat squirrels. You might want to think about what your posting before you go on an basically accuse me of wasting game by posting the rules and regs.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Its been awhile but I'm up to #19. My female doberman has spotted the last few and it allows me to get the pellet gun while she holds the tree rat in place. She went bonkers over this one and even grabbed the wounded squirrel off the tree. Squirrel put up a fight

Did you shoot it in the nuts?
sportsfan1685
AG
I can verify that that's from around Pine Bluff , Arkansas & not Florida! And that it was eaten!
Slamn Sharpe
no, one of the many shots was a gut shot and it bled downward. Im using a powerful pellet gun but it typically takes several for them to fall
AstroAggie15
AG

AstroAggie15
AG
Ol' Merle got another one

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.