Outdoors
Sponsored by

Water Well Fix

2,319 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BoerneGator
TdoubleH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any insight to what it's gonna take to fix this casing that is broke just above the ground? Gonna have to pull everything up? The 3/4" PVC line coming out of the head is broke too which I should be able to handle myself. Well feeds outside hose bibs and sprinklers. See any issues with the well kicking on?

schmellba99
AG
Remove the broken pre-cast cylinder and lid, replace with a new one. May require some light digging to set the new one level and in the ground some, but shouldn't be much of an issue.

Other option is to go full bore and cast in place a new collar, but that would be the hard and painful way.

If the discharge line is broken, disconnect power to the well so it doesn't kick on before you make you repair. Simple.
TdoubleH
AG
The 4" PVC casing is broken at the ground level. What are your thoughts on that
schmellba99
AG
TdoubleH said:

The 4" PVC casing is broken at the ground level. What are your thoughts on that

That is just the casing pipe. I would repair it, but it's not necessary IMO. Honestly some fiberglass wrap would be the easiest and best way to repair it so you don't have to pull the top of the well casing off and get into other potential issues or more work than necessary.

If you have the means to hook up to the well head and lift it up some, you could do a PVC coupling repair, but it would be significantly more work.

When you install your new precast protective cylinder, bury it 6" or so in the ground so that it is anchored in a bit and it does what it is supposed to do - protect the well head from getting hit. They are designed to be sacrificial, your casing broke because whatever hit it hit it hard enough to push it into the casing.

Hopefully some others chime in that have some experience. Just throwing my thoughts out there.
Picard
AG
Why did you let your wife use the car?

TdoubleH
AG
I'd love to blame it on her but daughter was pulling trailer with the Polaris to haul some brush to the burn pile. Tried squeezing between fence and a tree. Missed the tree.
jtp01
AG
If it were me, I'd wrap with the fiberglass tape as mentioned before and when your well guy comes to pull the pump when it goes out, have them dig down and patch. Not a hypercritical deal once you get the tape on it.

Take it easy on the kiddo. Good lord knows I've torn tons of stuff up, I teach my sons that if you don't tear anything up, you aren't working hard enough. Your kiddo could have been sitting around instead of actively doing something outdoors!
TdoubleH
AG
Discharge fixed.

Here's a better pic of the casing damage

Old RV Ag
AG
Duct tape and baling wire.
Old RV Ag
AG
jtp01 said:

Take it easy on the kiddo. Good lord knows I've torn tons of stuff up, I teach my sons that if you don't tear anything up, you aren't working hard enough. Your kiddo could have been sitting around instead of actively doing something outdoors!
Very well said. It's great they are doing and learning - I always told my kids and tell my grandkids that equipment breaks and can be fixed or replaced. People can't so I only care about their safety. If they were careless I might give a small lecture (more like instructions) - I know I've broken more things that I'd care to admit or even remember. Most of the time when I'm trying to take a shortcut or am in a bad mood and my mind isn't on the task at had.
tamc93
AG
Pricey, but probably would work.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SMITH-BLAIR-Full-Circle-Repair-Clamp-4NWN5

I would probably just due the fiberglass wrap and repair later as suggested previously.
Moy
Like TAMC93 suggested, clamp style coupling is what I'd use for now. The next time the pump is pulled, I'd cut out the broken section and install a traditional coupling and restore to original casing height.

Is the well in a low spot? With the broken casing, you may want to safeguard against runoff intrusion and make a casing fix soon.
bobbunker
I don't think you need the clamp, just some wrap to keep the dirt bugs and critters from falling down the casing for now. Dig it up to good pipe now to make sure you have it sealed off. Sleeve over back to good pipe when you get the pump and tubing out.
S.A. Aggie
AG
JB Weld!!!!
BoerneGator
AG
The photo does not reveal the full extent of the damage, but your primary concern now should be to seal the casing so as not to allow any contamination to enter your well bore, and thus your water. The weight of the 1 1/4" (I presume) tubing and pump on the end of it is hanging upon the top of the damaged casing, and prevents you from returning the casing to its original position. Until you're able to remove the weight, you won't be able to make a permanent fix, but whenever you are, you should be able to put PVC glue on the break and using a large wrench, twist the broken part back together, almost good as new. There are multi-way to seal the cracked casing temporarily to prevent contamination. Use your own imagination.

Same goes for protecting the well-head against future damage. Ultimately, you might consider a concrete pour around it, but that will hafta wait for the casing final repair. Meanwhile, fencing/gates is that won't allow vehicles to get near it is a simple fix.

Edit to add: just noticed you did not include a Union in the discharge pipe setup, requiring cutting the pipe when the time comes to "pull the well". I would consider adding that next time.
TdoubleH
AG
Well company came out, pulled it about 20' and fixed casing. Charged me $125 for a new concrete enclosure and $50 to fix the casing. I drank a beer and watched.
BoerneGator
AG
They musta cut it off and glued a new collar on, huh.? Well, you have peace of mind now, but your damage was far from catastrophic. The only threat was from contamination, and that was an easy fix. You can expense it off your taxes. Post a pic of the finished product.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.