Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking for a Bridge (Flat rail car)

14,706 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Jabin
Cadet05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have experience with or a contact for a flat rail car bridge? Looking for something about 50' long near nacogdoches. Culvert crossing not an option due to water flow rates. Needs to support concrete truck.
Spore Ag
A guy sells them outside La Grange on 77. Been there forever but not sure of details.
SWCBonfire
AG
There is a national outfit that sells them, but Pat Baker Co. in Kingsbury used to be the place to go in central Texas. Nacogdoches might still be in their territory.
Usoos
AG
I've bought a handful of flat railcars over the last 10 years. We used them as bridges when building roads overseas.

I've used Sterling Rail

You get them in all sorts of shape. They'll require some work since they'll show up rails and tie downs. The expensive part is the transportation getting them to you.
Cadet05
AG
I got a quote from Sterling Rail yesterday and it was $12.5k delivered to Nac from Houston. That sound reasonable? 9x53. That doesn't include the crane or installation. I have a quote from a bridge builder for 17,500 all in for 16x40.
schmellba99
AG
Look into buying a couple of crane timber mats. They will support hellacious loads and will be a lot cheaper than a rail car. Come in lenghts up to 40', maybe more (I've never dealt with anything longer than 40').
ChemAg15
AG
https://www.lsbtx.com/

These guys can probably give you another bid.
wai3gotgoats
AG
schmellba99 said:

Look into buying a couple of crane timber mats. They will support hellacious loads and will be a lot cheaper than a rail car. Come in lenghts up to 40', maybe more (I've never dealt with anything longer than 40').

Are you aware of a source for these?
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Fellas,

I gotta ask. I looked at some photos of those locations where flat cars have been installed for bridges.

How the hell do you get those big cranes in (and out) of there? That seems like a challenge in itself.
cevans_40
AG
We put in 2 of these when I was working in Trinity. Not sure where we got the railcars from hut we used a house mover/leveler out of Livingston to put them in place.
schmellba99
AG
Industrial Mat Co is one, ask for Kyle Vardeman.

I have another somewhere, will have to dig in my old files for it tomorrow. Being in east Texas, several places will have them. There is a place off of I-10just outside of Beaumont that sells them too.
schmellba99
AG
wai3gotgoats said:

schmellba99 said:

Are you aware of a source for these?
East Texas crane mat availability
dahouse
AG
My source for timbers/crane mats is Lone Star Mats. VP is an Ag too.

210-296-6031
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
jetescamilla
AG
Important to note that railroad flat car structures are intended to be supported at the bolster locations (railroad wheels), when most railroad car bridges are build they end up being supported at the ends of the flat car (which yes makes logical sense because you want the longest span). If you support the flat cars in this longer span configuration you have potential to overstress the flatcar because it wasn't intended to be supported like that and increasing the span will exponentially increase the forces in the flatcar.

The images below aren't the best but do show what I'm saying. The 1st has the supports in from the ends (as railroad cars are intended to be configured).

The 2nd image shows how most RR car bridges are supported with an increased span. I could get into lots of detail but just know that there are now stress reversals and you run a risk of over stressing the RR car and failing your bridge

In real life google examples I could find...

Correct RR bridge with intermediate supports:

Well that image doesn't want to show but in this google image link it's the top image with 2 piers at the correct location

Wrong support locations:

To sum up, if you intend to run real loads across these bridges I'd suggest you higher an engineer to run some calculation for you to get you a load rating for your RR flat car bridge and your intended support configuration. I'd offer to help but I'm not licensed in Texas.
ChemAg15
AG
We actually did this calculation at a plant I work at. The main entrance was two railcars laid side by side. We had a 400k lb load we wanted to drive across it. It wasnt going to work so we tore it out and put in a culvert crossing instead. The difficulty in determining the actual load rating had to do with lack of data on the rail cars themselves. No documentation was available to verify the tensile strength of the steel.
jetescamilla
AG
You are 100% correct, it is not a trivial task. Lots of retired flat cars are floating around without documentation of section properties and steel properties. We've instrumented some in the past and found they are well below the loads needed for highway traffic. As a State we phase all of these out when we can.
FamousAgg
Interesting idea here, I'm a Texas mechanical PE but this isn't my area.

Here is an paper from Iowa DOT on use of these types of bridges. Has some good pictures of proper supports and how they are done. Probably worth looking through.

http://publications.iowa.gov/11691/1/tr421.pdf
flashplayer
AG
9x50 seems a bit treacherous. Especially for bigger trucks. I know it's wide enough. Not sure if wise enough though. Unless that's a rare occurrence.
ChemAg15
AG
Our set up was two 9x100 ft rail cars laid side by side over an 80ft span. Loaded LPG trucks crossed it everyday. When we were doing our calcs we found that one railcar with up to date certifications was rated for 100k lbs. If installed correctly, (refer to the diagrams above) these railcar bridges can support some serious load.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Fellas,

I gotta ask. I looked at some photos of those locations where flat cars have been installed for bridges.

How the hell do you get those big cranes in (and out) of there? That seems like a challenge in itself.

Rough terrain cranes can go a lot of places, provided you have a clear path.
east_tx_bridge
I'm gonna bump this post because I'm in the same boat as Cadet05 near Nacogdoches. Did you have any luck in your railcar bridge search?
rch611
can you provide the builder you used. Thanks, Bob
Deerdude
Not what you asked, but we used a 40' float to span a creek at ranch. Works pretty good for Polaris and CJ's. Wide enough for a full size truck, but don't drive them often at ranch.
lawless89
My dad used an old trailer park home frame as a walking bridge. He runs a church camp in Robertson County and he had 50 Ags hand carry it down to the lake one day. That was quite a sight!
Cadet05
AG
Nope. Ended up being cheaper to buy a sliver of land from neighbor for access. I still want one for an Atv crossing though!
maroon barchetta
schmellba99 said:

Industrial Mat Co is one, ask for Kyle Vardeman.

I have another somewhere, will have to dig in my old files for it tomorrow. Being in east Texas, several places will have them. There is a place off of I-10just outside of Beaumont that sells them too.

Any relation to Mark Vardeman?
JFABNRGR
AG
Cadet05 said:

Nope. Ended up being cheaper to buy a sliver of land from neighbor for access. I still want one for an Atv crossing though!

I am a bridge contractor. PM me I have some used beams that might serve your ATV purpose.

“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Build It
AG
Bridge decision time. 30 -40 foot needs to handle pick up and tractor load.

I'll contact above poster but interested in ideas. 6 acres bisected by unnamed creek. H sections, flat car, crane mats? Country property.
Jabin
A guy I know used a slab of prestressed, reinforced concrete that had originally been intended for a parking garage. It was excess to needs so he got it cheap. I think it was 50' or so long.

Bridges are ridiculously expensive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.