Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone looking to sell some cattle?

2,276 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gigem87818
Gigem87818
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to purchase 5-6 head of cattle for a piece of property near Hallettsville. Pretty flexible on breed and looking for stockers to start with. Anyone selling or know or any sellers in the area? Would go to auction but I'm inexperienced and want to start slow and easy. Any help is greatly appreciated!
fightingfarmer09
I saw some heifers and steers for sale on Craigslist out of Halletsville. Might be a start.
78_Pacecar
AG
Go to the Auction and watch. Keep your mouth shut, eyes and ears open. Volume is going to be down right now but should be a good time to learn. Find the feedlot buyers, they'll be the ones on the front row that look most at home. They set the market price for the day.

Depending on what you plan on doing will dictate what class you buy into. Try to guess their weight as the day goes on. Then when you go back you should have a better idea of the process price and weight class.

Also if you can go to an auction on a weekday, the ones on the weekends you will be competing with hobby ranchers. Weekends may have more volume so pick your poison.
Serious Lee
my dad has 6 heifers hes getting ready to sell. probly ~700# or so, Angus and Angus x Charolais i believe. In Fayette Co.
LEJ
That's like Bovine Tinder son. It's a Match!
Canyon99
I heard they pay two fifty down in Hallettsville.
Gary79Ag
AG
Where about near Hallettsville are you talking about? That's my ole stumping grounds...and I have several sisters teaching there. I was born and raised near Komensky, about 13 miles NW of Hallettsville, and graduated from HHS.
FrontPorchAg
Canyon99 said:

I heard they pay two fifty down in Hallettsville.
3 dollars maybe more.

You'll see 'em waddling down 1291
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Gigem87818
AG
Thanks for all of the replies, lots of good advice! Our place is South of Hallettsville close to Ezzell. Really enjoy the area.

Walt- what is a good way to get in contact with you or your dad to discuss further? What part of Fayette county is he located in?
Nagler
AG
Cattle Range
Serious Lee
south of La Grange. give me your email and i can tell you more
TxA&Mhunter
AG
How far from cr531, I'm headed down that way today to my folks place.
Gigem87818
AG
Sure thing, email is user name at gmail.com.

TXA&M Hunter- Shoot me an email I'll share some more with you as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.