Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wild edible plants of Texas

10,141 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
Post removed:
by user
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're a Texan and didn't know about nopales and tuna?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Careless weed is a staple in Zambia
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

You're a Texan and didn't know about nopales and tuna?
My knowledge on this topic is still in its infancy.

You ever been to a Mexican restaurant that wasn't a corporate chain? Not trying to be a dick at all....promise. But to me this is like someone discovering kolaches or egg rolls or something.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I always get beef enchiladas or fajitas and never really explore the menus much.

Wonder if the pear fruit makes a decent wine?

It does indeed. People add it to various spirits. Hell, Shiner has a beer flavored with it.
Max06
AG
They make excellent jelly and also margaritas
Post removed:
by user
CS78
As a kid we used to swim in the ponds to pick cattails. Cut the roots off, cut across 3-4 inches above that, peel the outside layers, eat the inside. Not much flavor but tender. Goes good with ranch of course.

We set up a boyscout booth at the parish fair cutting them open for people. Half the folks thought we were crazy but you should have seen the old timers faces light up remembering their childhood.

Wild onions. Picked a bunch on the navasota bottom last week. Takes a lot to do much but the kids thought it was neat and they went good in a pot of beans.

Rumor is you couldn't find a dandelion during the depression.
CS78
FAT SEXY said:

Any of yall ever made your own wine out of wild grapes?

It can be really good if you have someone that already has the wine making down. Ive had my share that was pretty terrible too. They're better used for jelly imo. Them and mayhaws are the two best jellies in existence.
Post removed:
by user
rootube
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Purchased this book.. I never figured cattails and dandelions to be edible plants to be foraged.. It explains how acorns can be yielded into a decent food source once leeched.

Any of yall ever harvest wild plants? Apparently p r i c k l y pear can be used for lots of things and is pretty tasty.

I have a funny story for you. You can buy dandelion leaves at Central Market. Or you could probably fill your cart with the dandelion leaves likely growing in the parking lot.
Post removed:
by user
ursusguy
AG
Yep, know edible plants pretty well. Stay away from my goodies.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
GSS
Poke salad (pokeweed)....minor precautions required
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Post removed:
by user
HarleySpoon
AG
We thought we were so smart as kids licking that one little drop of honey inside a honey suckle's blossom. Lots of wild onions. Lots of native pecans on side of road. Lots of copperhead encounters picking wild grapes on Corps property. Mexican plums never were good for much. Poke salad was common.
Post removed:
by user
tmaggies
AG
Turks cap young leaves and blooms during the summer and the seeds from the hackberry tree are Edible. The original protein bar Native Americans ground up and dried.
spud1910
AG
jayelbee said:

I've been wanting to learn mushrooms. I see them all the time and I'm always trying to figure out what is edible and what isn't, but I always leave them because I don't want to find out the hard way.
Definitely wanna learn from someone that know what they are doing. My wife knows a few and we have eaten some from my pasture in East Texas.
HTownAg98
Railroad right of way is the best place to look for dewberries. Just don't get hit by a train.
Post removed:
by user
GSS
FAT SEXY said:

HTownAg98 said:

Railroad right of way is the best place to look for dewberries. Just don't get hit by a train.
This is a great tip. Will be the first place I go searching.. I guess around late May is the best time to go find some.
Dewberries bloomed early this year, I suspect by late Apr-early May they should be ready.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
GSS
FAT SEXY said:

Had to look up pokeweed.. apparently younger leaves and stems are edible if cooked properly. The berries however, while appearing appetizing, are poisonous.
"If cooked properly" is an understatement. Try cook, rinse, cook, rinse, cook a 3rd time...enjoy!

I have to imagine how hard it must have been, to have someone (really really hungry..) to decide the poke salad was now safe to eat (Momma, I ain't sure `bout this, my brother is still in the outhouse...".
NRA Life
TSRA Life
CS78
GSS said:

Dewberries bloomed early this year, I suspect by late Apr-early May they should be ready.

Vines loaded with green berries as of yesterday.
Apache
AG
A few more I munch on:
Agarita and lotebush fruit
Yucca flower petals
Mulberries (don't eat green!!)
Mesquite bean pods
Post removed:
by user
Badace52
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Need to find me a solid dewberry patch this season.

I have a solid patch in my backyard. It was there when we moved in, but I have been cultivating it for two years and now it is pretty big.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
curry97
AG
Did a research project in Jr. High on the benefits of a mesquite. I made some flour out of beans and then made some cornbread for people to try. It was pretty good.

In regards to dewberries, we were at our farm a couple of weeks ago and were amazed at the amount of vines this year, and it the weather treats them right there will be plenty of berries.
Post removed:
by user
Slamn Sharpe
This thread feels like a panicky Corona virus idea
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.