Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody rethinking their truck gun?

14,290 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hagen95
AnScAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With so much time on my hands to read and watch youtube, I have given some serious consideration to my truck gun(s). The two truck guns I own are my AR15 pistol in 556 and an Winchester 30-30. The 30-30 may not be the ideal truck gun to some, but I live in Texas and it fits perfectly between the seat and console. What I am realizing is this, in a real SHTF situation where I need to grab my AR pistol along with my concealed carry 9mm and my Glock 9mm, is I have two different calibers I have to deal with and one of those is a really, really loud AR pistol. The reason the AR sound concerns me is it is really loud and without ear protection it would definitely be disorienting to myself, regardless of the effects on any attackers. I am not planning on a Mad Max situation or needing to take shots from 500 yards away, I am trying to plan for a wrong place, wrong time type scenario.

I am beginning to think the cowboys of the 1800's were a lot smarter than many of us realized, since many had both a pistol and rifle of the same caliber. When this is all over and the dust settles, I plan to change my truck gun to an AR 9 either in PCC or pistol configuration that runs on Glock magazines. Thoughts??
highvelocity
AG
mine has always been a 5.7. only difference for me is if im headed to / from my hunting i have an AR racked and loaded.

i also carry from time to time a fn509c and a suppressed AR9. i agree with you regarding the disorientation, those 556s are loud and if you arent used to it would definitely put you at a disadvantage in a fight.
P.U.T.U
AG
Nope, I am comfortable with my pistol shooting and do not fee like it benefits ME to use a PCC in a close application, plus easier to move inside a vehicle. If I have enough time to get out and engage I probably have enough time to drive away.

But if things get really bad I would travel with my AR
maverick2076
I've started carrying an AR and a couple mags in the truck with me when I go to work.
TacosaurusRex
maverick2076 said:

I've started carrying an AR and a couple mags in the truck with me when I go to work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been packing a little heavier leaving the house lately.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
zooguy96
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
AnScAggie
AG
zooguy96 said:

How about something like a Keltec Sub2000 and a pistol using the same mags (Glock, beretta, etc) and ammo? And some extended mags? Folds up smaller than an AR but kinda similar functionality.

I'm thinking about a CMMG or Wilson Combat AR9 to go with my Glock 17/19. And like you said, everything would be able to run on Glock 33 rd mags.
Strongweasel97
AG
I'm good with a Glock 23, but a .357 revolver with a .357 Henry nearby makes my heart flutter. Sorry, the cowboy comment got me fantasizing.
BCStalk
I was going to suggest a Sub2000 but an AR9 would definitely be better.
P.U.T.U
AG
Extar is much better quality than Keltec and similar price. Think the barrel is 7.5"
Mas89
AG
I was rethinking my truck gun this morning. Normally have my 870 pump with 00 buck 12 ga. And an fnar 308 in soft cases under my back seat. Both cases open to the drivers side and are easily accessible when opening the rear drivers side door. But I had taken both out this weekend and was left with only a Glock 22 in my center console. I suck at shooting the pistol and use the others almost exclusively. Need to practice, and take lesson.

On a rural county road near the ranch this morning I drove upon a large group of illegally dumped trash bags on the side of the road. Not uncommon in our area. To my amazement, there was a 100 poundish wild hog standing in the trash eating. After getting my earplugs in, I walked to within 20 yards of him before missing 2 times. Broadside. A lucky third shot got him running away and he wound up in a large water filled ditch where I added a head shot. I have phone pics if someone would like to post shoot an email.

Both long guns are back in my truck now.
SMM48
AG
Brother ag. If shtf. Adrenaline through the roof. Our amazing body will protect itself. Sends signal to ears. Protect yourself Auditory is the first to go.

You won't even notice it.

If you are rural. The louder the better. You want people to notice, call 911
cledus6150
AG
Picture help

and dead pig

NRH ag 10
AG
Nope, still a 12.5" AR in 5.56 or a beretta 92, neither of which are ever left in the truck. I want long guns to shoot rifle rounds, I'll leave the pistol rounds for my pistol.
D206
AG
I'm sticking with rifle rounds. I always get annoyed when people chose hand guns over rifles in movies. As for the noise, adrenaline will take care of it. Like magical ear protection in the moment.
CS78
Just remember, muzzle up. Nothing like jacking your podnuh in the jaw with the buttstock trying to get it spun around in a hurry.
MisterShipWreck
Its not the wild west yet. I haven't changed any of my carry procedures or weapons...
SharkinAg
AG
Love my cmmg banshee. I just can't fathom leaving that nice of a gun in the truck.
P.H. Dexippus
AG

Wouldn't leave it in the truck though.
cledus6150
AG
I just picked up what will likely be my new truck gun, just have to get some ammo to test it to make sure it runs good, also gotta get a red dot for it.

cbr
AG
Tavor is pretty handy.
JD05AG
AG
Cva hunter 7mm-08. It can kill anything in Texas and I don't want to worry about being out a bunch of money if some crackhead steals it. And also a pmr30 with a reflex sight and a few mags because it's fun and I can shoot pretty tight groups out to about 60-70 yards.
maverick2076
AnScAggie said:

zooguy96 said:

How about something like a Keltec Sub2000 and a pistol using the same mags (Glock, beretta, etc) and ammo? And some extended mags? Folds up smaller than an AR but kinda similar functionality.

I'm thinking about a CMMG or Wilson Combat AR9 to go with my Glock 17/19. And like you said, everything would be able to run on Glock 33 rd mags.

I've got a Sub2k as well. Great option, especially when you consider the price. I also have a suppressed AR9 SBR. I would probably bring it with me, but I've been carrying my Steyr lately instead of my Glock, so mag compatibility doesn't come into play. Plus, my wife is at home, and I like leaving the suppressed option home with her.
AnScAggie
AG
SharkinAg said:

Love my cmmg banshee. I just can't fathom leaving that nice of a gun in the truck.
I hope it's good because I just ordered two for me and the wife earlier.
jakeaggie84
AG
How do y'all secure the rifle? Just hope no one breaks in or safe?
Slamn Sharpe
AR pistol and a Judge revolver are my recommendations
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Console safe and a special hiding spot in the truck. Depending on the vehicle/truck, they make kits for rifles to be secured in the truck. I've seen a couple of DIY for under the back seat of F-150s and secured with the mag well lock thing.
AggiePetro07
AG
I've been alternating between my 8" 300 BLK and 11.5" 5.56x45 SBRs.

I recently got a 10.3" barrel in 5.56 that replaced my 12.5" 300 BLK because I was pissed at reloading the damn 300. It was hell figuring it out. Never had an issue until I started the 300. I think I've finally got it handled.

The 10.3" with an SBA3 may be the one that ends up permanently in the truck, especially once my Turbo K gets approved.

I just like 5.56 more than 300 BLK.

The reason I say no to needing the same ammo between pistol and rifle in a truck gun is because:

1. In a truck you don't have to worry about consolidation. You have plenty of room and horsepower to carry it. Even in a relatively full truck. No real need to limit yourself to ammo count or commonality like you would on a horse.

2. The reason I have a truck gun is to have something that can do significantly more than my pistol. I don't want a bigger gun with effectively the same ballistics (admittedly that's ignoring some positive effects of increased sight radius, shootability, and slightly better ballistics due to increased barrel length) that's not significantly different than my pistol in power, range, accuracy, etc. I'd rather have a bigger gun with a bigger round with a much bigger capability.

3. My truck gun has a bag which has extra mags for my carry pistol, making ammo commonality a mute point. I have 80 rounds of 124+P for my 226, plus 90-120 rounds of ammo for whatever rifle I bring. I can also break down the rifle and stick it in the bag if something happens.

4. It's your truck gun. If you can see yourself never needing more than a PCC, get the freaking PCC and simplify, brother! Nothing wrong with that.

If I'm not limited by the truck or the bag, I don't want to limit myself to a PCC. But that's just my opinion. Yes I know it's "moot point", I want to see who reads the entire post. That doesn't mean I don't want a PCC or see the need. I think they are pretty cool.
maverick2076
We have a secured parking area at work. I don't leave it in the truck when it's parked somewhere else. If I have to run in the store for a quick errand, it goes under the seat.
proc
AG
I agree with some on here, pistol only. My sbr is my baby, and I can't leave her unattended in my truck.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
An AR pistol, in 300 black out, or 10MM, is probably about idea.

If it wasn't for the money, and the presence of small children,I think a CMMG Banshee, and a new G20s/40s would be ideal...

Puryear Playboy
AG
If you are shooting in and around vehicles and out in the wild as opposed to your home, you can safely make a couple of assumptions.

One is that ranges will likely be extended, and two, the world is full of hard and soft cover.

You should choose your weapon and cartridge with those realities in mind. An optical sight and a round (or at least a bullet selection) that is capable of prevailing in those environments will serve you better and not just make you a target indicator for someone with a more capable and well chosen weapon system.
MisterShipWreck
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Wouldn't leave it in the truck though.
How do you like it?

I considered getting one, but reviews talk about the wiggle in the extendable brace, and that the accuracy because of that suffers a little.
Floorguy
9MM and my 30-30. Same as always, I guess.
O.G.
Nope, you were right the first time. For truck guns the AR-15 and the 30-30 are great.

A pistol caliber going through a rifle length barrel is still just a pistol caliber. I say that as an owner of a .357mag in a Henry Lever action. I have shot hogs with it and one deer. It is NOT the same as real rifle. It was a gift, not something I would ever buy for myself.

Carry a handgun so that you may fight your way to your rifle.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.