Outdoors
Sponsored by

1966 Avion Trailer "Barn Find" Build Thread

27,697 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Ogre09
coolerguy12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my wife and I have been going back and forth on getting a travel trailer but we never could agree on what to get. We had finally given up when this baby popped up on Craigslist in Crockett, TX. It's a 1966 Avion Tourist that spent most of its life in Michigan. The original owners sold it to Cory in 2014 and Cory parked it in the woods and didn't touch it for 6 years.

After a couple hours of fighting mud, trees, and a trailer hitch lock we finally had it off the property and rolling down the road.

Got home after dark and tried out the lights, all but one worked!

Floor has some buckling so I'll get into that this weekend to see how bad it is. That will determine the scope of the restoration. Can't wait to get off work tomorrow to really spend some time on it to see what I have.

Washed half of it today. Cleans up great!

Bird Poo
AG
That is a really cool find. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Mookie
AG
In! Can't wait to see some updates
aTm2004
AG
I remember my dad gutting an old camper and rebuilding it when I was younger. Going to love the progress on this thread.
will.mcg
AG
I'm just here to see it after you polish the outside.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
That really seems like a lot of trailer on only one axel. Is that safe?
TarponChaser
That interior looks remarkably clean and in good shape for the age and apparent neglect.
marcel ledbetter
Congratulations and welcome to the world of vintage trailers! The single axle will be perfectly fine. Back in the 40's and 50's, single axles were very common under ridiculously long trailers.

Polishing that trailer will require a dreadful amount of time and labor. It looks great like it is!
bam02
AG
That looks awesome! Bet that's a heavy son of a gun!
coolerguy12
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

It weighs about 3500 lbs and pulls like a dream. I prefer 2 axels but this will work.
coolerguy12
AG
will.mcg said:

I'm just here to see it after you polish the outside.

It's anodized aluminum so it won't shine like an airstream but it will be looking sharp.
pdc093
That is awesome!
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I'm waiting to see this going down the road pulled by the Chevelle.

Into the the drive way of the bardominium.
longeryak
Milwaukees Best Light said:

It is all aluminum. Cars and trucks of that era did not have modern towing power. Today's larger CUV can tow that. I'd be surprised if it hit 4K lbs. Today's monster RVs didn't exist back.
coolerguy12
AG
Here are a few more interior shots.

Front of the trailer bed converts to a couch. Best I can tell is that this was original.

Kitchen area. The green thing on the right is a gas lamp. Inside. Crazy.

Heater, refrigerator, and storage.

So now for the fun part. Started taking out the buckled floors and the subfloor has a pretty good amount of rot. I'm not surprised and honestly somewhat excited to have an excuse to do a full gut and rebuild. So here goes.

Front bed removed. There is a pressurized fresh water tank underneath.

Here is the inlet to the fresh water tank with a compressor fitting to pressure it up.

Ladybug nest hidden in the frame.

And finally the frame. Slight surface rust but nothing a little POR won't take care of. Really surprised to see that the entire underside has aluminum under it. I saw that when I bought it but just pointing that out to anyone wondering what is under the frame.

Planning to spend the next couple weekends gutting the trailer, then wires, frame paint, water lines, gas lines, and then the floor.
marcel ledbetter
Gas lamps were very common back then. That one will work great if you keep it. It uses Coleman lantern mantles. You should be able to find a replacement globe online. The wood floors weren't original. If you return it to as original condition and possible while upgrading electrical, plumbing etc, the trailer will retain or even increase in value.

Your Avion's aluminum under the trailer frame is called a belly pan. Very common with all aluminum/riveted trailers.
coolerguy12
AG
There is no doubt it's going to increase in value. I paid $3300 for it. Just by getting it on the road and washing it I increased the value.
Centerpole90
AG
All in on a coolerguy thread!
marcel ledbetter
It's gonna look great when you're done! Don't break anything! Original parts for your trailer are hard to find and expensive. Take lots of pictures, and then more pictures of how everything fits together. Take lots of measurements of the location of everything. Things have a way of not going back together like you thought they would before you gut it.
Superdave1993
AG
In for the show, and good luck!
Reel Aggies
AG
Glad there weren't any 7-8yo boys with bb and pellet guns wandering around the woods where it was sitting.
sts7049
AG
in!
Todd 02
AG
I have a '67 Avion Imperial. It's been out at the farm and needs a complete gut and redo. Just don't have the time.

I gave $2,500 for it seven years ago. It's got some hail damage. Anybody need a project?
coolerguy12
AG
I'm listening... would love to get some pics of it. Not sure I could convince my wife we need a bigger one though.
dubi
coolerguy12
AG
Demo day continued. Got the heater out and one of the twin beds. The floor is pretty much trash around the whole perimeter. I think the issue is that the shell consists of insulation between two sheets of aluminum so any leak in the roof winds up running down the inner layer to the floor at the perimeter. Need to figure out a fix for that.

This all came up with just my hands. Literally smelled like fresh mulch.

This cool table hangs on the wall and then folds out and extends to go the length of the couch. Saving all the hardware on everything that comes out in case I want to try to put something similar back in.

The original screws on this trailer take a "clutch" head which unfortunately I didn't have. It's cool because it makes it easy to identify what is original and what is after market. I had to work around a lot of stuff that I couldn't remove without the bit which made today's demo a little tedious. Low and behold while I was cleaning up I found 3-4 packs of different size bits in a drawer. Wish I had those yesterday.

Post removed:
by user
marcel ledbetter
A lot of the original floor tile and the tile adhesive contained asbestos. Proceed worth caution. Tile or sheet goods were what was original on your floor.
YogiBeers
AG
Nice.
jgh85Ag
AG
I think those are asian beetles and not ladybugs.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Schall 02
AG
The clutch head was used on 55-59 Chevy/GMC pickups (at least). Any of the parts dealers for those era trucks should have a clutch tool they'll sell you.

If you ever need it.
pdc093
Just a little bump so I don't miss any updates/pics as this progresses.
AgResearch
AG
jgh85Ag said:

I think those are asian beetles and not ladybugs.
Agree. Give the trailer a full look over; otherwise the infestation will continue.
marcel ledbetter
You can find the clutch head bits at almost any hardware store. They weren't very common back then, either.
Chetos
AG
Awesome find! Your nightmare has just begun. I'm a 6 year airstream renovation survivor. Lot off blood, sweat, tears and blood shed on that project. Yes I know I said blood twice.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.