Outdoors
Sponsored by

Paging Ursus - Lion kill or Coyotes??

9,672 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txrancher69
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie1819 said:

Haha that's fine. I don't know you. It really happened. Chose to believe it or not. They exist.
Not unless they escaped from someone's illegal zoo.
raidernarizona
Some people are just going to believe what they want to believe. My BIL and FIL are still convinced this was a lion. Not worth my time or energy to argue, although I do find it extremely annoying when they continue to talk about it and spread misinformation like it's fact.
12f Mane
AG
powerbelly said:

aggie1819 said:

Haha that's fine. I don't know you. It really happened. Chose to believe it or not. They exist.
Not unless they escaped from someone's illegal zoo and was painted black.
FIFY
JeremiahJohnson
AG
How am I the only one on OB that has seen one? It might have escaped from someone's "zoo". There are tons of big cats in captivity in Texas

They are migratory animals. Its not too far fetched to have them in Texas. Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Old RV Ag
AG
Badace52 said:

Similar accounts happen all over the world all the time... frequently in area that make no sense at all. Many, many happen in the United Kingdom. There has never been any verifiable evidence to corroborate any of these accounts. Most are attributed to large black dogs or shadow effect.
If you venture over to Politics Board and the UFO thread, some people on there are convinced these accounts are due to aliens from outer space. No joke.
ZoneClubber
AG
aggie1819 said:

JeremiahJohnson
AG
The difference is Jaguars do exist and are real animals. They are native to Mexico and Central/South America. There are confirmed sightings in Arizona. What's that big chunk of land that borders the Rio Grande? I forgot.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_w7000_0150.pdf
12f Mane
AG
aggie1819 said:

The difference is Jaguars do exist and are real animals. They are native to Mexico and Central/South America. There are confirmed sightings in Arizona. What's that big chunk of land that borders the Rio Grande? I forgot.

Where did you see one?

Are there records of melanistic animals in the northern portion of their range?

Where do you think there is an existing habitat corridor from the Mexican population and where you saw one?

People are skeptical because there are no photos ever, mean while TPWD and qualified biologists review hundreds of thousands of game came pictures yearly for any evidence of native felines in Texas.

*edit* and no jaguars or black mountains lions are ever recorded.
12f Mane
AG
aggie1819 said:

How am I the only one on OB that has seen one?
raidernarizona
Keep reachin'! I believe the last jaguar killed in Texas was some 70 odd years ago in the RGV, not north of DFW.
agfan2013
AG
aggie1819 said:

From the link you just provided:

Quote:

It is extremely unlikely that this cat occurs in Texas although a rare visit by a wanderer from Mexico is possible.
So you think one wandered in from Mexico all the way up to north east Texas? You said on the previous page your "sighting" was in Red River County.....

On top of that 6% are melanistic and will have the solid black coat, so of an already rare chance of a cat that barely might come into south Texas, you think it was one of 6% of that population?

Since you are citing TPW, read some of their other stuff on mountain lions and other cats.

Texas Mountain Lion Moralities 1983-2005

Mountain Lion General info

Field Guide to Texas Mountain Lions

Quote:

Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers in North America; no one has ever captured or killed a black Mountain Lion.

Lastly, in today's age of everybody having a smart phone, and therefore a camera, plus all the game cameras hunters use these days, don't you think we'd have a good hi-def picture or video of one by now????? How are you the only one on the OB to have seen one? Because they don't exist.
Badace52
AG
12f Mane said:

Additionally I don't believe melanism has ever been recorded in mountain lions.

As usual 12fmane is correct. There have been no recorded incidences of melanistic mountain lions ever in the wild and none have been bred in captivity either. There have been melanistic bobcats and coyotes and black wolves are quite common.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
We saw it 20 years ago near Red River. It is more likely that it was an escaped melanistic Jaguar from a private owner. I realize that it is unlikely for one to range that far. After my dad and I saw it we talked to a game warden and he said we weren't the only ones that reported it but still thought it was unlikely. During the same time frame we found out there were several of sightings in the area.
Badace52
AG
It would have had to have been an escaped jaguar or leopard. Melanistic jaguars are known mostly from the southern portion of their range where there is dense jungle or heavy brush coverage. The jaguars from the northern part of their range are typically highly patterned.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ursusguy
AG
Where "common", melanistic jaguars make up about 6% of the population in far southern Chile. All specimens from the US have been spotted. The closest a known melanistic jaguar has gotten to Texas was about 300 miles south of the border.

And yes, I had to respond to a ton dogs being identified as mountain lions........by people that should have legitimately known the difference.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I agree that is the most likely reason for it being there.

I did find a confirmed sighting in Northern Mexico.
http://dinets.info/blackjaguar.htm

agsalaska
AG
I have some relatives in East Texas that swear up and down there are black panthers in those woods. I really enjoy those conversations, especially when we been drinking.

One time I asked them why nobody has ever killed one or captured one on camera, pointing out the obvious problem with that. They gave me the 'what you callin me a liar!' speech, which made it even better. I can't push them too far though, because there are bodies buried in those woods too.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Texas 1836
AG
Maybe it caught a ride ... like some coyotes.

600 miles in that little space.

I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying crazy stuff does happen.
Apache
AG
Double Boom. Plus Ursus saying they were 300 miles South of the border.... he's basically saying it's fact. Probably keeping it on the down low because biologists don't want word getting out.

Just recently a Mt. Lion (Only a cousin to a panther but still) walked from South Dakota to Connecticut. That's 1500 miles gentlemen. Across multiple interstates, big ass rivers, etc. Same distance as from central Texas to the Guatamala border.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
aggie1819 said:

Call me crazy all you want.
you are crazy
12f Mane
AG
Apache said:

Double Boom. Plus Ursus saying they were 300 miles South of the border.... he's basically saying it's fact. Probably keeping it on the down low because biologists don't want word getting out.

Just recently a Mt. Lion (Only a cousin to a panther but still) walked from South Dakota to Connecticut. That's 1500 miles gentlemen. Across multiple interstates, big ass rivers, etc. Same distance as from central Texas to the Guatamala border.

So there's a crystal clear photo of one from the remote mountains of Mexico but no one can get a photo of one on an over grazed pasture during it's 600 mile journey through Texas?

It's not some conspiracy theory. It's an extirpated animal (or one that doesn't exist, like a black mountain lion). It's a mis-identification 100% of the time in these cases until someone produces a photo or a specimen.

Bears come back in? Photos. Whooping cranes rebound? Photos. Auodads escape? Photos. Albino bobcat? Photos. Manatee in Corpus? Photos. Bigfoot? Black panther?
powerbelly
AG
12f Mane said:

Apache said:

So there's a crystal clear photo of one from the remote mountains of Mexico but no one can get a photo of one on an over grazed pasture during it's 600 mile journey through Texas?

It's not some conspiracy theory. It's an extirpated animal (or one that doesn't exist, like a black mountain lion). It's a mis-identification 100% of the time in these cases until someone produces a photo or a specimen.

Bears come back in? Photos. Whooping cranes rebound? Photos. Auodads escape? Photos. Albino bobcat? Photos. Manatee in Corpus? Photos. Bigfoot? Black panther?

It is amazing how we can never get photos despite every lease and hunter having dozens of cameras taking pictures year-round.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/2016/02/160203-jaguars-nation-animals-science-rare

Apache
AG
Quote:

Probably keeping it on the down low because biologists don't want word getting out.

12f Mane
AG
I get what point you're trying to make but this has not been the case in Texas in at least 70 years. It kind of makes the point to the contrary, as I would guess Texas has more game cams per capita, more hunters per capita, and much more roads and traffic (dead animals) than southern Arizona.

Yet no specimens since the 1940s.
12f Mane
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Probably keeping it on the down low because biologists don't want word getting out.

People spout this but what is the back ground evidence?
AF DOC
AG
That photo looks very fake to me.

The shadows look like they were 'paint brushed' in and the lighting is weird.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't believe it.
O.G.
raidernarizona said:

Location is between Ingram and Hunt. Not many feral dogs to speak of around us.
....Cant tell if you're being serious or not.....

There has been a time when that was one of the few areas of the state that was known for being as close as you could find to real Russian Boar. I hunted in that region a lot during the 80s when some of the old school ranches were still around.

Belive me when I tell you, there are hogs there.
ursusguy
AG
12f Mane said:

Apache said:

Quote:

People spout this but what is the back ground evidence?

Kept on such a down low that those of us that would have been involved don't know anything about it.
Apache
AG
Sending you and 12f a PM on this.
Have some contacts at TP&W down south.
powerbelly
AG
BurrOak
AG
12f Mane said:

Apache said:

We have actual video of that one.

ursusguy
96ags
AG
SAWgunner said:

raidernarizona said:

Location is between Ingram and Hunt. Not many feral dogs to speak of around us.
....Cant tell if you're being serious or not.....

There has been a time when that was one of the few areas of the state that was known for being as close as you could find to real Russian Boar. I hunted in that region a lot during the 80s when some of the old school ranches were still around.

Belive me when I tell you, there are hogs there.
AgEng06
AG
Reading is hard... mmmmkay
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.