Outdoors
Sponsored by

Reloader advice needed

3,490 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmellba99
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I sold two 1lb cans of Varget at the worthless gun show in Bryan this weekend. $30/lb. I was happy, buyer was happier.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Doc Hayworth
I picked up all my dad's reloading equipment and found a box of new unfired 300 savage brass. I don't need them for my Thompson 300, so if you want them i can put them in the mail for you sometime this coming week.
kenneu
AG
I've reloaded everything from .380 all the way up to .50 beowulf. I stopped reloading the "cheap" pistol cartridges and focus on more expensive rifle rounds. Even if you say you don't "value" your time, it is still a limited resource and an opportunity cost. My goal with reloading is so that I can shoot even my most expensive stuff like 50 beowulf or .45-70 and not worry about cost even if I want to shoot 100 rounds.

I'd start with the really expensive ammo to justify the initial outlay. If you really get into it and like it, you can expand from there.

I disagree on the above stating a turret is no good. Turrets are great. My lyman turret is probably 50 years old and is built like a tank. I have each die placed with a lock ring so it cannot move. I don't have to insert/remove dies to run through a batch for decap, flare, powder, bullet, crimp...
AnScAggie
AG
That would be great. I really appreciate it.
schmellba99
AG
kenneu said:

I've reloaded everything from .380 all the way up to .50 beowulf. I stopped reloading the "cheap" pistol cartridges and focus on more expensive rifle rounds. Even if you say you don't "value" your time, it is still a limited resource and an opportunity cost. My goal with reloading is so that I can shoot even my most expensive stuff like 50 beowulf or .45-70 and not worry about cost even if I want to shoot 100 rounds.

I'd start with the really expensive ammo to justify the initial outlay. If you really get into it and like it, you can expand from there.

I disagree on the above stating a turret is no good. Turrets are great. My lyman turret is probably 50 years old and is built like a tank. I have each die placed with a lock ring so it cannot move. I don't have to insert/remove dies to run through a batch for decap, flare, powder, bullet, crimp...
We completely disagree on philosophy.

I'd start with the common rounds to learn how to reload over trying to jump into reloading for precision stuff that requires experience, detail and more specialized tools to get really good with. Loading for 9mm or .45 ACP is easy, doesn't require much outside of a simple scale and calipers and if you decide you don't like or want to get into the hobby more - offloading that equipment isn't hard. Offloading stuff for unique rounds is more difficult.

And turret presses have no real purpose, especially with the advent of good progressive presses that do everything a turret can do, do it better, and have the auto rotation function that makes them progressive.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.