Outdoors
Sponsored by

How old is this deer?

3,071 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by lotsofhp
AgEngr16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Personal estimate is 4.5yo. My dad believes about the same and another guy on our ranch thinks he is 7.5.

TwoMarksHand
AG
He would stay that age forever had he been on our property.
Ag 11
AG
No way he's 7.5
AgEngr16
AG
We have a rotating trophy between my grandpa, my dad, and his two brothers and it is not our year otherwise he would have stayed that age.

We also have 4-6 other deer we have seen that are similar but without the drops. Low fenced and been feeding protein last 3 years. Had good south Texas genetics to start but the protein has really helped.
CS78
Hard to say from that video. Any profile pics? Keep in mind, post rut/ late season even a buck in his prime can start to look like a 4yo or bony old 8yo. Best to judge them in the fall if possible.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

He would stay that age forever had he been on our property.

No doubt. Man! Beautiful rack!
Mas89
AG
I vote 5 1/2 looking at chest and back. Looks familiar. Halfway between Alice and GW?
S.A. Aggie
AG
Without a side view I will agree with 4.5.
Stormchaser
AG
I was listening to The Lonestar Outdoor Show on the radio this morning and they had Lindsay Thomas of QDMA on. It was interesting. He preaches culling bucks has little to no effect and to shoot the deer you want without fixating on the age so much. https://www.qdma.com/author/lindsay-thomas-jr/
SanAntoneAg
AG
Stormchaser said:

I was listening to The Lonestar Outdoor Show on the radio this morning and they had Lindsay Thomas of QDMA on. It was interesting. He preaches culling bucks has little to no effect and to shoot the deer you want without fixating on the age so much. https://www.qdma.com/author/lindsay-thomas-jr/

In
Gig 'em! '90
ranchag04
AG
Would like to see a side profile but I agree.....4.5 possibly 5.5.
CT'97
AG
That's a mature deer, but it's not 7.5.
AgEngr16
AG
This is the best side picture I have right now. Waiting on a better one from trail cam.
dr_boogs
AG
Awesome buck! Wow.

Tell us about your protein feeding. What type, all year long or just during summer, demand or broadcast feeders, etc.
CS78
Picture looks max 5 but I would lean 4. Better pics from in the fall would probably give you your answer.
AgEngr16
AG
Pretty close to that area. You hunt the area as well?
fullback44
AG
ranchag04 said:

I think this is prob correct.. no real old though

Also Bullet Age !
AgEngr16
AG
dr_boogs said:

Awesome buck! Wow.

Tell us about your protein feeding. What type, all year long or just during summer, demand or broadcast feeders, etc.
We have two neighbors that feed protein as well. One has a soybean food plot he maintains year round, as well as broadcast feeding. Not sure what he uses. Other neighbor is broadcast feeding only (I believe), and not sure what he is feeding.

The acreage we hunt has broadcast feeders for corn and an on demand protein feeder that is filled 1-2 times a year. Not 100% positive on what protein is used but I believe it is the double down brand. The ranch owner fills the protein and we fill the broadcast feeders.
AgEngr16
AG
fullback44 said:

ranchag04 said:

I think this is prob correct.. no real old though

Also Bullet Age !
100% agree he is bullet age. My uncle gets the trophy this year and he swears he has seen a main frame 13-14 with some junk but he doesn't have any pictures of it. I don't know how he can pass on this buck though. Easily one of the best 2-3 bucks that has ever been seen on the ranch in the last 20 years.
lotsofhp
AG
I've never been good at aging deer but holy frijoles that is a buck of a lifetime right there. Absolute stud.

When people start pulling out their phones and showing each other pictures of the deer they've shot, you'd be the one upper for the rest of your life with a buck like that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.