Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shotgun - Home Defense

7,735 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I was in Outdoors. Staff, move please, thx

The dude who took out 3 burglars w/a shotgun has me thinking I need one. We have hand guns, but a nice blaster sounds like a nice addition to home defense. Suggestions & recommendations requested...
AKA 13-0
TDAggie
AG
Burn-It said:

The dude who took out 3 burglars w/a shotgun has me thinking I need one. We have hand guns, but a nice blaster sounds like a nice addition to home defense. Suggestions & recommendations requested...

Yes. Find the right board. Nerdery
bonfarr
AG
Burn-It said:

This is a blaster, worked well for Han.

CaptainBlack51
Nothing says Hello like the pump action sound of a 12 gauge!
buzzardb267
AG
They will love you on the Outdoor Board.
"ROGER - OUT"
Sluggyd10
AG
Mossberg 500 is my choice.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-home-defense-tactical-shotguns/
EconAg18
AG
I agree - our defense of Kyle Field begins with Kellen Mond taking more snaps from shotgun. Gone are the days of lining up under center; it's time to protect our home.
GE
AG
CaptainBlack51 said:

All you really need to do is take your double barrel shotgun and fire off a couple rounds into the air to scare them away
SLAB CITY AG
Kel-Tec KSG with buck, vertical grip, and a flashlight...thank me later.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Socom 16
nos7610
Agg AF said:

Kel-Tec KSG with buck, vertical grip, and a flashlight...thank me later.

Remington TAC-13 or 14 aren't horrible options either...
BobCatDave
AG
Don't have to spend a fortune. Check out the Benneli Nova tacticals just over $400. Supernovas just over $500.
"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else." - Winston Churchill
Reginald Cousins
S
Right near the bed.

SMM48
AG
yeah no.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
GE said:

CaptainBlack51 said:

All you really need to do is take your double barrel shotgun and fire off a couple rounds into the air to scare them away
I"ve tried this. Patching the ceiling and roof afterwards is a real pain.
jdwAg20/91
AG
Mossberg 500 Persuader with adjustable stock

GeorgiAg
AG
Pump action tactical Benelli 12 gauge FTW.

https://www.benelliusa.com/nova-tactical-shotgun

If someone hears the pump action and keeps coming, heaven help them. It's the most unmistakable sound there is.
GeorgiAg
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Right near the bed.

Ok that's pretty cool
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I'm a huge proponent of a shotgun for HD

My preference is an 870 with 2 3/4 #4 buckshot
highvelocity
AG
Glock 40 in 10mm is my banger of choice
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
MouthBQ98
AG
Exactly What is in my closet

Plus an AR with a mag ready, and a 380 in the night stand. I live out in the sticks. The police are 15 minutes away at best.
CS78
Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you can only defend your home with an ar15. As for shotguns, keep it fairly simple. 18" barrel with a bead sight, a normal butt stock, a small light, and fill it full of #1 buck.
45-70Ag
AG
Mossberg 500 JIC
Ag 11
AG
Nealthedestroyer
AG
CS78 said:

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you can only defend your home with an ar15. As for shotguns, keep it fairly simple. 18" barrel with a bead sight, a normal butt stock, a small light, and fill it full of #1 buck.

Nobody is going to say you should only use an AR. However, a shotgun is far from the ideal setup for HD.
Vae Victis
BenderRodriguez
AG
CS78 said:

I assume you're referring to me.

I've never said shotguns aren't effective. I'm glad to see you recommend #1 buck, that's a great load. And you are the first person I think I've seen actually mention a light in connection with a shotgun, also an essential, so props.

I will say that 30>4, red dot>bead sight, and that semi auto>pump, for starters.

The event that inspired the OP involved at least 4 suspects. The guy did damn well in that event with a shotgun of some sort. Hopefully it was a better one than the 4+1 capacity pump people keep recommending in this thread.
bonfarr
AG
Can someone explain for the uninformed like myself why a light is necessary? If I enter a darkened room and the only light is on my weapon doesn't that put me at a disadvantage? Someone could hide in a dark corner and just shoot at the light right?
Trinity Ag
S
bonfarr said:

Burn-It said:

It's a broom handle Mauser with a flash suppressor and a 4x scope.

Wouldn't be my first choice for home defense, but it'll do the job....

Moon Shadow
Have a Mossberg Shockwave & a Stevens 12 gauge with 20" bbl.
Night time I'd take the Mossberg but in house distances make even birdshot very akin to a single slug.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
bonfarr said:

Can someone explain for the uninformed like myself why a light is necessary? If I enter a darkened room and the only light is on my weapon doesn't that put me at a disadvantage? Someone could hide in a dark corner and just shoot at the light right?

Its possible but its also better to have a light for positive identification of your target. I don't want to shoot a family member coming home late at night...
Vae Victis
BenderRodriguez
AG
Lots and lots of articles I could link for you, all with the same headline: "family member mistaken for intruder and shot".

The light is for target ID.

Proper light use minimizes risk of exposing you to return fire. On for less than a second to light up the room with splash, ID any threats, light off, move off line.

Takes a bit of practice, but a light is an asset in home defense, not a liability.
Texas 1836
AG
Nealthedestroyer said:

bonfarr said:

Its possible but its also better to have a light for positive identification of your target. I don't want to shoot a family member coming home late at night...
You could also have a light with a strobe function.

And I have this in the home defense mix ...

BenderRodriguez
AG
bonfarr said:

I prefer this galaxys take on the DL-44.

Stasco
AG
Surprised no one has said it yet. Far more important than the type of gun you get: your training and ability to operate it under pressure.

Also, some kind of alarm to alert you to a home intrusion.
suburban cowboy
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

Right near the bed.

Where can I buy this
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.