Outdoors
Sponsored by

Had a drone hovering over me this morning

21,969 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieCowboy
AgBass01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While hunting I heard what I thought was a drone flying around then sure enough saw it and it started hovering over my feeder. I ended up stepping out into view and it took off never to return. 900 acre ranch surrounded by the same size or larger ranches. Contacted the land owner and she was just as shocked as I was.
MouthBQ98
AG
Poachers using drones?

Pretty soon thieves are going to start using them to scout for stuff to steal that is out of sight at ground level.
AgBass01
AG
Don't know if poachers or a neighbor just checking things out for some reason. My first thought was maybe it was a game warden. I ran to my jeep and drove around the property and didn't see anyone.
rootube
AG
This sounds like a fun new form of skeet shooting to me. Make sure to bring your shotgun next time. But seriously drones are the worst.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
There is only one solution. Time to buy your own and practice aerial combat maneuvers.
Vae Victis
TexasAggie_02
AG
  • get a drone
  • keep it in the stand
  • if you see another drone, follow it back to the source
  • Get plate numbers
  • post on Texags
  • ??
  • profit
AgBass01
AG
Brilliant!
aTm2004
AG
And you didn't shoot it why...?
Cassius
MouthBQ98 said:

Poachers using drones?

Pretty soon thieves are going to start using them to scout for stuff to steal that is out of sight at ground level.

I'm surprised that's not already happening big time now.
Nosh
SSS
SteveBott
AG
Poachers?
Colt98
AG
Happened to my son and I Sunday. I'm hoping it had something to do with oil well they are putting up next door
87IE
AG
Are you sure they weren't harassing the wildlife? That would mean you could get the game warden involved.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
AgBass01
AG
Could get them involved anyway for hunter harassment.
dubi
AG
AgBass01 said:

While hunting I heard what I thought was a drone flying around then sure enough saw it and it started hovering over my feeder. I ended up stepping out into view and it took off never to return. 900 acre ranch surrounded by the same size or larger ranches. Contacted the land owner and she was just as shocked as I was.
Ask for her permission to shoot them down.
zooguy96
If your going to get one to follow someone, get something DJI. You can get a used one for a couple hundred dollars, and they'll go 3-4 miles away.
aggielostinETX
AG
87IE said:

Are you sure they weren't harassing the wildlife? That would mean you could get the game warden involved.

Call the warden anyway.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

It's on private property. You don't need to cover it up. You're perfectly able to shoot it down.
AgBass01
AG
Lol, now my dad is buzzing me in his Cessna.
RM1993
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

It's on private property. You don't need to cover it up. You're perfectly able to shoot it down.
The drone is not on private property unless it lands. And it would be illegal to shoot one down even if it is over your property.
jpb1999
AG
RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it down?

The drone is not on private property unless it lands. And it would be illegal to shoot one down even if it is over your property.

Isn't it an invasion of privacy?

I guess the only option is to follow it then and get them for hunter harassment?

Spane Bohem

Texas 1836
AG
RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

This. Until changes in the law are made, this is true.

I'm not a fan of more laws, but a certain amount of privacy on private property should be expected.
DeWrecking Crew
RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

Unless of course you mistook it for a dove...oops, my bad, I thought it was a dove, what's your name and address and I'll send you a check
carl spacklers hat
Texas 1836 said:

RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

I'm not a fan of more laws, but a certain amount of privacy on private property should be expected.
Some laws are so stupid they should be ignored. I'd shoot the f-er down and if whoever/whatever authority is sent to find the culprit, I'd deal with it then.
RM1993
AG
Texas 1836 said:

RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

And I believe there are legal remedies for enforcing a right to privacy on your own land. Unfortunately, those remedies would require that you find out who is flying the drone without physically interfering with them flying the drone.
RM1993
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Texas 1836 said:

RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

Some laws are so stupid they should be ignored. I'd shoot the f-er down and if whoever/whatever authority is sent to find the culprit, I'd deal with it then.
Shooting down a drone is a federal crime and could expose you to 20 yrs in prison.....likely more if you decide to "deal" with the federal authorities who come knocking on your door.
Unemployed
AG
RM1993 said:

carl spacklers hat said:

Texas 1836 said:

RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

Shooting down a drone is a federal crime and could expose you to 20 yrs in prison.....likely more if you decide to "deal" with the federal authorities who come knocking on your door.
Yeah...I don't think carl spacklers hat is gonna be so gung-ho about shooting down a drone now.
Aggieangler93
AG
Cassius said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Poachers using drones?

I'm surprised that's not already happening big time now.
I think the only thing that keeps it from happening more, is most thieves are too stupid to know how to fly a drone.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
(removed:10EA24-2)
Its so invasive. What are they looking for on rural property in the middle of nowhere? Why is it a federal crime to shoot them down when they come on your property and take pictures or record or whatever they do? Its mind boggling.
AgBass01
AG
Sorry folks, didn't mean to start a politics/law debate here. For the record if any law enforcement officials are reading this, I DID NOT NOR DID I ATTEMPT TO SHOOT DOWN THE DRONE.
Aggieangler93
AG
It looks like even commercial use of drones requires them to be flown within visual line of sight of the operator, outside special exceptions. Was it possible for them to see the drone in your location?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Texas 1836
AG
BorderTx said:

Its so invasive. What are they looking for on rural property in the middle of nowhere? Why is it a federal crime to shoot them down when they come on your property and take pictures or record or whatever they do? Its mind boggling.
It has to do with Airspace and who owns/regulates it.
carl spacklers hat
RM1993 said:

carl spacklers hat said:

Texas 1836 said:

RM1993 said:

Nosh said:

SSS

How about just shoot it?

Hello reading comprehension. "I'd deal with it then," means dealing with the ramifications of shooting down someone's flying toy.
SteveBott
AG
He said he drove around. They probably high tailed it when they saw him. Warden is the best option

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.