Outdoors
Sponsored by

GSP Puppy For Sale

3,692 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by La Fours
TacosaurusRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey Guys,

A friend of mine has one male puppy left from her last litter that isn't spoken for yet. Also posted is my dog from the previous litter with the same sire.

The puppy is ready to go home and has already started potty training and crate training. I can tell you the pup I got from her has only gone to the bathroom twice in the house since I got him at 7 weeks old, then it only took 2 nights for him to sleep through the night in his crate.

My pup has already been through his first round of school and has excelled in every aspect of what we have asked him to do, and he will complete his second round of bird school in January.

I can tell you they have an amazing temperament with other dogs and humans. As most of you know GSP's are known for their high energy, but I would classify the sire and my dog to be on the lower end of the energy spectrum for GSP's.

The sire, dam, and puppy are located in Central Texas around the Austin area. I'm sorry for the weird posting style of the pictures, but it is the only way I know how to post pictures on Texags. If you can't see the pictures through Twitter, and you're interested, please let me know and I can email the pictures to you. If you would like more details and pricing please let me know.

SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm interested. Please email at free state trading at yahoo.
TacosaurusRex
Passed your info to the breeder and she should be reaching out.
CyanideJenkins
AG
Good looking pup!!
Jrod05
AG
can you send me the details? email in profile. I am in the Austin area.
TacosaurusRex
Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like someone put a deposit down on the puppy yesterday. If for whatever reason the buyer backs out on Sunday I'll reach out to both of you guys that showed interest.
SchnauzerMom
So, I've been researching other dog breeds besides labs to get for my daughter, and GSPs are what I've been looking at recently. I've always thought they were beautiful dogs. My husband is set on a lab or German shepherd, since that is what he grew up on, but the thought of all that hair in my house makes me shudder. I can read about GSPs all damn day on the internet, but coming from someone who has one, would you get a GSP puppy to be your child's dog, to grow up together, teach responsibility, etc.? There is potential for the dog to be used for some dove hunting, but mostly I am just looking for a breed of dog that is good with children, intelligent, and trainable.... and because of my hair aversion, what is the shedding of a GSP really like? Thanks for any insight you are willing to provide!
Utopia61
I own my fourth GSP. I am a bird hunter, and I don't let my dogs in the house. These dogs are well behaved, have great dispositions, and want to please their owners. They need lots of exercise, as least 30-40 minutes of running free per day. They do shed a lot in the Texas heat. While they make good pets, it is my opinion that unless you can give the dog the exercise it needs, which is running, not walking on a leash, you are doing it a disservice.
highvelocity
AG
its no where near as bad as labs and GSDs. there is some, but its not noticeable at all. as far as GSPs as a whole - they are great companions and are hilarious animals. be sure your child and yourself are willing to exercise with them daily. they have ALOT of energy and if they dont get to exercise they can be quite destructive. that being said, i love mine and hope to breed him next year to get another one.
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
raidernarizona
I don't think there's a better dog out there. I had a GSP for 11 years and now I have a French Pointer. Very similar in demeanor, intelligence, and even appearance. Just a smaller dog. Maybe I've been lucky with my two dogs, but I think it's a bit of a misconception that these dogs need a ton of exercise. My French Pointer is happy to go for a 2 mile jog with me, but he's also happy to lay in "his" chair and be a couch potato. My GSP was the same, even from a young age. They both love my kids, even our old cat, and make excellent companions.

jrrhouston98
AG
I am on my 3rd GSP. The first I got as a child and he was my grandfathers prized hunting dog that I ruined with my trips to stay with my grandparents. He was my shadow and hip attachment. He followed me everywhere and slept in bed with me, which made both my grandparents beyond irritated. After a long trip to stay with them one summer, the poor guy crawled under the house and stayed there for close to 2 weeks. They finally got him out from there, bathed him, and brought him to live with me. Unfortunately, we had to put him down due to cancer not long after his arrival. He was a great dog and loved to play. Everything We did together was enough exercise for him. He was a couch potato for the most part.
My second one I got while still in school, a female. She was a great companion and hunter, and all of her hunting skills were natural, and I never did any formal training. She loved to swim and I took her to swim several times a week. She was as laid back and easy going as any dog I have been around. Loved her runs and exercise, as well as days laying around the house. She was never a destructive animal, and had free run of the house all 13 years of her life.
My current dog I got as a rescue 10 years ago. She is now 13 and is nothing but a couch potato. She wants in my lap or to be laying at my side at all times. She would rather not be outside, but inside where she can be with me. My 4 year old son climbs all over her and is somewhat rough from time to time, and she has always been patient with him.
As for the breed, they are amazing animals. They are as loyal as any other, without question. Some are a bit more active than others, but most I have been around are laid back and not destructive. I do not know if I can say the same for a lab. All dogs require work and exercise, and these are no exception. GSPs enjoy working with their owner and going through training. They are proud of themselves and will let you know.
Do not have a second thought getting one to have with a child. I know we will be getting another when this one is no longer with us.
TacosaurusRex
SchnauzerMom said:

So, I've been researching other dog breeds besides labs to get for my daughter, and GSPs are what I've been looking at recently. I've always thought they were beautiful dogs. My husband is set on a lab or German shepherd, since that is what he grew up on, but the thought of all that hair in my house makes me shudder. I can read about GSPs all damn day on the internet, but coming from someone who has one, would you get a GSP puppy to be your child's dog, to grow up together, teach responsibility, etc.? There is potential for the dog to be used for some dove hunting, but mostly I am just looking for a breed of dog that is good with children, intelligent, and trainable.... and because of my hair aversion, what is the shedding of a GSP really like? Thanks for any insight you are willing to provide!
All my previous dogs have been labs, and I am not sure I will ever go back after having the GSP pictured above. He is the best dog I have ever had; extremely smart, a great companion, and great with people and other dogs.

When he is with my niece and nephews (all under 10) at the family ranch they run together from sun up to sun down. We were camping this past weekend and he ran everywhere with them while they rode bikes and played in the woods, never leaving their side. Then a friend of mine has a toddler and the toddler jumps all over him, pulls his ears, does everything a toddler would do to a puppy and he just lays there and gives kisses.

As stated above, he has completed his first round of school (he's 8 months now) and is an absolute joy to be around because he listens. My experience with the breed is they are very eager to please and do great with verbal positive reinforcement. Their isn't much in this world that drives me up a tree, but a dog that doesn't listen is definitely one of them.

Here is the part you were really looking for, they do shed and they do have a lot of energy. They do shed less than my labs though, and its short hair that the Roomba has no issues cleaning up. I am not sure if its the short hair or not, but they are not stinky dogs. Which is big for me because he rides around in the truck with me all day.

As far as the energy goes, as long as he has time to exercise he is more than happy to lay on the couch with you. He usually gets about 30 minutes in the morning in the back yard, then I let him go wild at the dog park or the empty field behind my house in the afternoons for a little while.

All in all I would absolutely recommend the breed for a companion to a kid that wants a puppy to play with.

If you, or anyone else is looking for a great dog trainer please feel free to reach out. I have hunted and been around several of the dogs that this trainer worked with and they have all been very impressive.
SchnauzerMom
Thank you so much to each of you who offered your opinions! Y'all have confirmed my thoughts on the breed. Exercise and play time wont be an issue for us. We are a family who prefers to be outside, active, and have our pups with us. Having y'all confirm my thoughts on eagerness to please, and intelligence is great too. The shedding comments are also in line with my thinking. I know I am not going to be able to get away from the hair completely, but it sounds like it might be more manageable than a lab or shepherd, and that is what I desire.
La Fours
AG
highvelocity said:

its no where near as bad as labs and GSDs. there is some, but its not noticeable at all. as far as GSPs as a whole - they are great companions and are hilarious animals. be sure your child and yourself are willing to exercise with them daily. they have ALOT of energy and if they dont get to exercise they can be quite destructive. that being said, i love mine and hope to breed him next year to get another one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.