Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eminent Domain

10,307 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ribeye-Rare
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
queso1 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Now you're getting into corridor valuation, which in the appraisal world, is a term of art and has a very specific meaning. In these cases, I can't see how any individual landowner wouldn't meet the definition of having a corridor. Plus, this was already tried in Exxon v. Zwahr, and WestTex v. Bulanek, and it failed.

I've litigated cases on compensation. I haven't yet litigated a corridor case, so I'm not too deep into it. Maybe we could talk one day? I'd like to hear your thoughts, because I have some. My email is above if you are interested in talking shop.

I work mostly on the condemnor side as an appraiser, so if you're looking for advice on appraisal theory, I can help.
Cancelled
AG
Yeah, I just wanted to talk. My email is above if you are interested
HTownAg98
Sent.
Gunny456
AG
You speak the absolute truth here. We just think we own our land in Texas. Lots of folks have died fighting for their land and our current ED laws are a slap in the face to all who have fought and died for our freedoms in this state. I have been involved twice in ED . Once with a Transmission line company and once with a pipeline company.
The fact is they lie and are disingenuous in all their dealings and they sadly have all of our elected officials in their pocket and know it.
It is truly a sad thing for Texas landowners. You sweat your butt off working the land to make it better and spend thousands of dollars improving it and making it better only to know it can be taken from you in a heartbeat.
Burn-It
AG
Coming from someone who is duly invested in the pipeline industry, I dont like to hear ED stories like some of these. Most pipeline operators are very safety conscious & take great care to operate these lines safely, but know they will have to resort to ED if they are ever going to get the oil/gas to market.
AKA 13-0
HarleySpoon
AG
I am not an attorney but have been through ED on a small farm north of Dallas that I had previously platted as a rural subdivision....just in case the subdivision laws changed. Thank goodness I did. A large natural gas pipeline came through about 15 years ago. The easement was about 1.5 acres in area. Here is how things went:

1. Pipeline company offered myself and my neighbors about $20,000 an acre which was about twice the going rate at the time. 95% of my neighbors were tickled to death and accepted the offer. I genuinely felt there were damages to the remainder that were not being considered.

2. The pipeline listened and increased my offer to a final best offer of $60,000....twice their original offer of $30,000.

3. I hired an ED attorney and went to the commissioners hearing. Incurred about $20,000 in fees and our expert claimed damages of about $200,000. Pipeline claimed about $40,000. Important to know that remainder was about 80 acres.

4. Commissioners court established an amount of $140,000.... which of course doesn't settle things as either party can then have an actual trial if they don't come to agreement.

5. Shortly after the hearing, the pipeline company agreed to $120,000 plus my legal/expert fees of about $20,000 for a total of $140,000. They also routed it to have minimal impact and even tunneled 200 feet at a 20 foot depth to ensure no problems from future roads.

6. Sold the land about ten years later in five tracts. I would estimate now that the pipeline easement had almost zero impact on the sales prices of the tracts. I was very fortunate, but believed at the time that the potential impacts would be material.

I still think the process is not fair and that the compensation should be greater in theory. I would encourage folks not to just accept offers like my neighbors did. However if you have small acreage, the process is very unfair because there is no legal mechanism for recovering your fees if the pipeline is being unreasonable. That is what most needs to be fixed and what the legislature tried to fix in 2006....like 45 other states have fixed this issue of fees which forces the pipeline to be reasonable/fair in those states.
Burn-It
AG
HarleySpoon said:

I am not an attorney but have been through ED on a small farm north of Dallas that I had previously platted as a rural subdivision....just in case the subdivision laws changed. Thank goodness I did. A large natural gas pipeline came through about 15 years ago. The easement was about 1.5 acres in area. Here is how things went:

1. Pipeline company offered myself and my neighbors about $20,000 an acre which was about twice the going rate at the time. 95% of my neighbors were tickled to death and accepted the offer. I genuinely felt there were damages to the remainder that were not being considered.

2. The pipeline listened and increased my offer to a final best offer of $60,000....twice their original offer of $30,000.

3. I hired an ED attorney and went to the commissioners hearing. Incurred about $20,000 in fees and our expert claimed damages of about $200,000. Pipeline claimed about $40,000. Important to know that remainder was about 80 acres.

4. Commissioners court established an amount of $140,000.... which of course doesn't settle things as either party can then have an actual trial if they don't come to agreement.

5. Shortly after the hearing, the pipeline company agreed to $120,000 plus my legal/expert fees of about $20,000 for a total of $140,000. They also routed it to have minimal impact and even tunneled 200 feet at a 20 foot depth to ensure no problems from future roads.

6. Sold the land about ten years later in five tracts. I would estimate now that the pipeline easement had almost zero impact on the sales prices of the tracts. I was very fortunate, but believed at the time that the potential impacts would be material.

I still think the process is not fair and that the compensation should be greater in theory. I would encourage folks not to just accept offers like my neighbors did. However if you have small acreage, the process is very unfair because there is no legal mechanism for recovering your fees if the pipeline is being unreasonable. That is what most needs to be fixed and what the legislature tried to fix in 2006....like 45 other states have fixed this issue of fees which forces the pipeline to be reasonable/fair in those states.

Sounds like a win-win for you and the pipeline operator. They paid more but got their ROW, you got minimal impact to future land usage and got paid a nice (not huge) sum.
AKA 13-0
Ribeye-Rare
AG
HarleySpoon said:

They also routed it to have minimal impact and even tunneled 200 feet at a 20 foot depth to ensure no problems from future roads.
BINGO! That's always been my biggest issue with the pipeline companies.

Yes, I get that the shortest/cheapest distance between two points is a straight line 3 feet deep, but in many cases there are real negative consequences (oftentimes uncompensated) to landowners when the company is unwilling to vary from that formula.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Harley. I'm glad you hung tough and at least got a few concessions. What a shame that you had to hire an attorney and hold over their heads the threat of going to trial just to bring them around.

It's a helluva deal when a Texas landowner has to jump through flaming hoops and (figuratively) hold a loaded .38 to the temple of the pipeline company to get them to act in reasonable manner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.