Outdoors
Sponsored by

Williston ND is outdoors

2,939 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A nice summer business trip with some looking around.
I am no great outdoors-man but in case someone goes up to the tiny Petroplex in North Dakota of Williston here are some of the things we saw and did. Most in Panoramic photos.

Fort Union - (SW of Williston) right on the border with Montana, used to be a trading fort before the Missouri river changed course.

Outside on the wall

Inside near the center of the fort

Inside the trading post at the front of the fort with a reinactor(?) which did a good job of staying in character.

Lewis & Clark Park - East of Williston

I finally had my chance to kayak with my wife who has nothing to do with any water sports but loves to kayak.
They rented us everything.

What put Williston on the Map - North Of the Park

Food
They love to batter and fry things, so easy to find food for me. They also have German and Norwegian heritage so they bake as well. To the tune of 8lbs of weight gain.

Knoephla soup - What everyone said we had to find.
Creamy potato & dumpling soup (make sure you find out who serves it on what days)

Fried Walleye - good clean fish

Caramel Roll - heat it up with butter.
When we saw a 12 pack of these at a grocery store it looked like a brick of caramel with no distinction as a "cinnamon roll" underneath. Maybe a cake with caramel icing?

A few restaurants to check out:
All of the food above came from The Courthouse Cafe - downtown. Don't forget dessert.
Lonnie's - Sourcream Fries are one of their things. Good Desserts also.
There are a few Family restaurants
Williston Brewing Company

I like their taste in decorating, they carry sports bar food in large portions. Cheesecake was huge and one of the best we have had.
* BTW, we like desserts.

Around town

Interesting terrain along 11th street west - they say it was greener than usual

A little wheat in the fields

Downtown afternoon summer fair - food and live music

They have an impressive Rec Center, for those too hot/cold days.

They had a Guns vs Hoses charity softball game with Fireworks afterward.
Notes:
1) When we arrived so did a cool front so we woke up to 50's at the end of July. It eventually got up to my usual dry 90s by weeks end.
2) One guy that came along had Cricket phone service, or should I say he DIDN'T have service. He regained service about 30 miles away at Fort Buford (near Fort Union)
3) Teddy Roosevelt park is quite near if pictures of canyons with Bison is on your bucket list. I would recommend it, but we did not have time.
4) The people are extremely nice. Most I met have a dry sense of humor, so I got along pretty well.
5) They are getting a new Airport on October, I would recommend waiting to get into the new one if possible.
6) Lots of Hotels, probably like Midland, that did not exist until recently. Apartments popping up as well.

View from the Hampton Inn over looking the West side apartments that look quite new.
7) It can get down to -60F in the winter. Choose your clothing appropriately.
8) Super Walmart is the main PC/Office supply/and everything else store in town.
9) Population was 14K in 2010 they think it is around 28K now.
10) And finally a really good idea
TwoMarksHand
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

They had a few covers of Frontier Scout hopefully it is legible at the Fort.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Awesome pics. Walleye is my favorite fish to catch and eat.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

Fort Union in it's heyday with the river right up to the front gate.
It was visited by many famous nature lovers such as Audubon.
Fort Union: The Briefest of Overviews
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
brs4688 said:

Awesome pics. Walleye is my favorite fish to catch and eat.
Thanks.
I had a good sized walleye surface near me in the kayak it looked to be 2'+ in length. Like seeing a good sized gar surface. I was fiddling with the Gopro when it happened and missed it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

3) Teddy Roosevelt park is quite near if pictures of canyons with Bison is on your bucket list. I would recommend it, but we did not have time.
This...full day trip from Williston but worth it

I've been a few times but never stopped at Fort Union, wish I had!

Glad Williston Brewing is still kicking...also The Williston is (or used to be) a good place for an expensive steak
Charismatic Megafauna
AG

weird...sorry about double post
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
NRD09 said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

This...full day trip from Williston but worth it

I've been a few times but never stopped at Fort Union, wish I had!

Glad Williston Brewing is still kicking...also The Williston is (or used to be) a good place for an expensive steak

Used to be the old Elk Lodge converted into a Hotel/Restaurant.
Free meal, whatever you want, on your birthday. Plan accordingly.
K_P
AG
Awesome pics! I spent a year up there after I graduated. Really awesome experience that I often grumbled about at the time.

When I get to go back, it often feels like the first day of a hunting trip: up early, sausage biscuits, coffee, sunrise - rods clattering in the derrick, the smell of diesel and catching **** from some old timer for absolutely any question. Love the oil field!

wadd96
AG
Did you say hello to PBR Bull Rider Stetson Lawrence?
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
wadd96 said:

Did you say hello to PBR Bull Rider Stetson Lawrence?
I was never introduced, but I could have spoken to him without knowing who he was.
Looked up a photo, I don't remember seeing Stetson.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

This was the first "Wow, I did not know that" things of Williston.
JYDog90
AG
And when were you actually hired as President of the Williston Chamber of Commerce?

Just kidding. I've never even heard of the town and it was good to look at your pictures. It obviously made quite the impression on you.
Formerly Willy Wonka
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Cool stuff! Roosevelt Park south of Williston and between Dickinson and Glendive on 94 is an awesome park! Stopped there a couple of times when I was out there for work and loved going back.
BSD
AG
We visited the south unit of Teddy Roosevelt NP about two weeks ago. It's a small park and we were able to get a good feel for it in a day. Going in I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It was my first experience with prairie dogs and they were hilarious. My son and I probably spent two hours and various prairie dog towns in the park. The landscape was interesting and we got some good history on Roosevelt.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
willie wonka said:

And when were you actually hired as President of the Williston Chamber of Commerce?

Just kidding. I've never even heard of the town and it was good to look at your pictures. It obviously made quite the impression on you.
No, I am the Summertime President of the Williston Chamber of Commerce.
I think I like cold weather ... in Texas ... -60F no thanks.
Funny thing is that there is a slim chance I will ever go back, but who knows.
UTExan
I am used to cold weather living in northern Utah, but now way could I do a winter in North Dakota. One native of that state once told me "it keeps the riff-raff out".
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I was shocked to see how many people just left their cars running in Bismarck when they were out eating dinner. Then I realized at -6 your car doesn't really warm up for a long time if you shut it off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.