Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a boat - any experience with NauticStar?

17,912 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tlh3842
Sodadude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to live on a lake and need a boat. Went shopping today and liked the NauticStar 211 for my purposes. Probably 80% lake fishing, 10% ski/tube, and 10% puttering around lake with wife and/or visitors. Plus a run to coast for a couple of days bay fishing maybe once a year.

Anybody have experience or insights on NauticStar boats? I was not familiar with them before today.
tlh3842
AG
They're a pretty popular brand of that style or bay boat. Most boats of that style are very similar and only vary in very specific ways (certain trim, little layout differences, etc).

Salt of the water
AG
They're not the best boats ever but are decent bang for your buck. If it has all the options you want and the price is right, go for it.

I do find it semi-annoying that they bill themselves as building 3 piece hulls even though they're liner boats which are 2 piece. For your intended use, the distinction makes no difference.
agz win
AG
What lake?
Sodadude
AG
agz win said:

What lake?

Granbury
Gunny456
AG
As most on here know I was a factory rep for a Texas boat mfr for 32 years.
The Nautic Star rep is a good friend/ albeit a competitor. Theyare considered a mid line of boats. Not low end but not high end.
Pretty basic construction, chop and hand lay and decent QC. They were founded in 2002 and built in Mississippi.
Depends on your budget. In the marine world you kinda get what you pay for. Unlike popular opinion, boats are not a high profit item. Dealers are lucky if they can make 11-12% on a boat sale of any brand if fiberglass.
So most deal in volume. The marine business does not have all the hold backs, etc. like the auto business.
As I said it just depends on your budget. You either pay now or later as price also drives resale value.
The better the boat the better the resale value. Usually the higher the cost the better the resale.
In their price range Nautic Star is good boat
But they do not compare to the high end manufacturers.

Gunny456
AG
The three piece means hull, stringer system and deck/ liner.
Gunny456
AG
Lots of difference in ride and being dry from brand to brand. No one should buy a boat without a good test ride in ROUGH water. They all ride good in smooth water.
If a dealer won't take you out on a rough day, don't buy his boat brand.
ABCDE
Gunny456 said:

The Nautic Star rep is a good friend/ albeit a competitor. Theyare considered a mid line of boats. Not low end but not high end.
Pretty basic construction, chop and hand lay and decent QC. They were founded in 2002 and built in Mississippi.
Depends on your budget. In the marine world you kinda get what you pay for. Unlike popular opinion, boats are not a high profit item. Dealers are lucky if they can make 11-12% on a boat sale of any brand if fiberglass.
So most deal in volume. The marine business does not have all the hold backs, etc. like the auto business.
As I said it just depends on your budget. You either pay now or later as price also drives resale value.
The better the boat the better the resale value. Usually the higher the cost the better the resale.

What manufactures would you consider high-end in that style in size of boat? Just curious is I will be looking to upgrade in the next year or two.
Sodadude
AG
Gunny456 said:

Any suggestions for other brands to consider for this type of boat, i.e. fish/ski/tour combinations?
Salt of the water
AG
Gunny456 said:

The three piece means hull, stringer system and deck/ liner.

Yes, that is nautic star's definition of "three piece". Which is different than the commonly referred to three piece for high quality offshore rigs which equates to hull, glassed in floor, and cap. To me it feels like they're trying to capitalize on marketing buzz speak by saying their stringers are a separate piece so they can claim "3 piece" on their liner boats.
WP69
AG
Salt's definition has been my definition also. Can't get a toe kick on a two piece boat.
jws87ag
AG
I had a coastal 210 as my first bay boat - no problems. Had a Yamaha 150 was plenty of power. Great for all 3 items you mentioned. Resale was not great but if I did not have the funds for a new boat I would of been happy keeping the nauticstar another couple of years
dolch
AG
I wasn't a fan of my buddies. It didn't help that he had an inadequate prop on his. Decent all around boat.

If a pathfinder is anywhere close to you're budget, it's a big step up in my opinion.

I've got a Majek extreme, so I'm not a pathfinder homer.

Drive the nautical star and some comparable hills before you make your decision.
IslandAg76
AG
Lake boats are different than bay/salt water boats
Goodest Poster
AG
They cant seem to figure out how to build a transom.
Gunny456
AG
Skeeter is building a new SX230 that has a family package option that is really tailored to what you are looking at. They also have the best warranty in the business and owned by Yamaha and Texas built.
I would also look at Shearwater/Blackwood,
Lake and Bays, Yellowfin, Contender, and Pathfinder. All top quality products.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
check out the bluewave purebay 2200, think it's similar in style and price to that nauticstar. I have talked to a whole lot of blue wave owners about their boats and that company has built a lot of brand loyalty! Guy who keeps his boat next to mine has a nauticstar in the same size range (may be the same one) and loves it, has a 150 4-stroke on it (yamaha if i remember correctly), uses it primarily on lakes for family and fishing
Salt of the water
AG
Gunny456 said:

Skeeter is building a new SX230 that has a family package option that is really tailored to what you are looking at.

This version with the full cushioned front deck? Looks plush.
tlh3842
AG
Gunny456 said:

I would also look at Shearwater/Blackwood,
Lake and Bays, Yellowfin, Contender, and Pathfinder. All top quality products.

Not sure what is price range is or if he only looked at Nautic Star because it happens to be there, but those are great recommendations and def the next level up in quality.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.