Outdoors
Sponsored by

Muzzleloader Recommendations?

4,002 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txaggie02
rintintin221
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be hunting in Co in September for mule deer. Going to buy a new gun and I'm thinking about buying a Thompson Center Pro Hunter. Was wondering which muzzleloaders y'all were partial to.
Texmid
AG
I am interested in the responses as well. I drew out for elk in New Mexico but it is muzzleloader only.
Ag 11
AG
CVA Wolf is the only muzzleloader I've ever used. Works just fine & inexpensive.
AgEng98
Don't have, but want: http://www.badbullmuzzleloaders.com/

(This should satisfy the outrageous budget-busting suggestion in true OB style.)
CTGilley
AG
I have a Traditions that is plenty accurate. Just make sure you get one rated for magnum loads. They do not always make it obvious but the cheaper ones are often only rated for 100gr of powder. Remington now makes one built like a 700 that is rated for 200gr. but you will pay for it.
AgEng98
Remington also has the Ultimate muzzleloader that uses a 308 blank. Seems like a pretty good system, but it's still a Remington. Best part is that aftermarket 700 triggers should work on it.
45-70Ag
AG
Think i got this link from AC on a thread he started.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Kentucky-Rifle-Kit-.50-cal-Percussion
GottaRide
S
Check the regs. The last time I hunted muzzleloader in Colorado, 209 primers were not allowed. Only traditional ignition such as flintlock, percussion caps, or musket caps were allowed. Projectiles are also restricted by type. This may be important in your decision. It has been several years since I hunted muzzleloader there so things might have changed.
rintintin221
AG
GottaRide said:

Check the regs. The last time I hunted muzzleloader in Colorado, 209 primers were not allowed. Only traditional ignition such as flintlock, percussion caps, or musket caps were allowed. Projectiles are also restricted by type. This may be important in your decision. It has been several years since I hunted muzzleloader there so things might have changed.
209 primers are legal in Colorado. Conical projectiles must be at least .40 caliber. .40 and .50 caliber projectiles must be over 170 grains.
FrontPorchAg
Maxim 50
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
CactusThomas
AG
I always wanted a Ruger M77/50 officer's model
CTGilley
AG
rintintin221 said:

GottaRide said:

209 primers are legal in Colorado. Conical projectiles must be at least .40 caliber. .40 and .50 caliber projectiles must be over 170 grains.
.50 cal for elk and no sabos.
GottaRide
S
They have changed a few things, it looks like, since I hunted muzzleloader last. I'm glad they kept the open sights and loose powder requirements.

I used to hunt New Mexico muzzleloader, also. Don't know if they still do but at the time they had some units restricted to primitive muzzleloaders only. The times I hunted it I would only see two or three camps the whole time. That was kind of nice.
cupofjoe04
AG
+1 for the Remington 700 UML. It's a little more spendy than base models, but you truly get custom gun performance. I've shot it side by side with a custom Gunwerks, and it stacks up comparably @ 1/3 the cost.

I've taken a bull in NM and mule deer in CO. Easy enough to outfit the gun for various states. Make sure you know your CO muzzloader rules well. Absolutely no optics, loose powder only, and no sabots (full bore canonical only).
The Rem UML is heavy for sure, but can easily shoot much farther than you can see with irons.

cupofjoe04
AG
CTGilley said:

rintintin221 said:

GottaRide said:

.50 cal for elk and no sabos.

This. .50 minimum for elk. .40 for deer and under I think. Just get a .50 and your good for all.

CO restrictions are: You have to use loose powder (no pellets), and full bore canonical bullets (such as Thor or Federal BOR Lock- I've shot both). Iron sights only, no glass or electronics or any kind (no CVA Electra's or such).
rintintin221
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

+1 for the Remington 700 UML. It's a little more spendy than base models, but you truly get custom gun performance. I've shot it side by side with a custom Gunwerks, and it stacks up comparably @ 1/3 the cost.

I've taken a bull in NM and mule deer in CO. Easy enough to outfit the gun for various states. Make sure you know your CO muzzloader rules well. Absolutely no optics, loose powder only, and no sabots (full bore canonical only).
The Rem UML is heavy for sure, but can easily shoot much farther than you can see with irons.

The Remington 700 UML looks interesting. Doing online searches, seems most places are out of stock.
cupofjoe04
AG
Interesting. I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued, but its possible. Seems like they sold well. Possibly they are in-between production cycles, or maybe retooling for an updated model?

I would contact EyeGuy, or someone similar here on the board, they will be more in the know about stuff like this.
Apache
AG
I'm also booked for a muzzleloader hunt this fall.
Besides the rifle, any other essential gear recommendations?
cupofjoe04
AG
Apache said:

I'm also booked for a muzzleloader hunt this fall.
Besides the rifle, any other essential gear recommendations?

Are you talking gear for muzzleloader instead of rifle? Or are you talking gear for hunting in general?

It would help to make recommendations if we knew what you were hunting and where.
Apache
AG
Sorry, should have clarified.
Hunting elk in Pecos wilderness w/Bull Valley. (Per your rec, btw!)
Looking for any input on gear for muzzleloader. Log sent me some recs, but I'm always looking for more info.
schmellba99
AG
I have Lyman .54, either a Great Plains or Traditions - but I've never shot it. My grandfather did a kit with it, one of these days I will bring it out and play around with it. Needs some TLC unfortunately, mostly with small patches of surface rust on the barrel.

He loved it though. I believe the projectiles he cast are 385 grain - pretty solid chunk of lead that gets tossed downrange.
FarmerJohn
AG

Muskets take all the fun out of it. An arquebus makes it a real sport.
rintintin221
AG
Thank you for your suggestions. I looked at each of the muzzleloaders you recommended and really liked the Remington 700 UML. Only ones I found for sale were at or over $1000. I still almost bought it. As I was looking at the CVA Wolf, I found the CVA Accura V2. Started researching it and liked what I was reading. This is the gun I purchased. It was half the cost of the Remington. I just hope its not half the gun!! Should be here today, so after I get a chance to shoot it, I will let you know what I think.

John
ClassicDane
AG
EyeGuy hooked me up with two Remington 700 UML last year. They are great guns, easy to clean and operate, accurate out to 300 yds...cannot recommend enough.
cupofjoe04
AG
Apache said:

Sorry, should have clarified.
Hunting elk in Pecos wilderness w/Bull Valley. (Per your rec, btw!)
Looking for any input on gear for muzzleloader. Log sent me some recs, but I'm always looking for more info.

Thats helpful for sure.

You have the potential for some longer shots out there, but there are some tight valleys as well. I'm not sure where you guys will be in there, but there are some great bulls tucked back in the Pecos.

I would recommend putting a scope on your gun, since you can in NM. I personally went with a Leoupod that has the CDS system in it. You can get the any CDS custom cut to your gun, but I got the UltimateSlam that was made for muzzleloaders, and the CDS that came with it was perfect for my Rem 700. That really allowed me to confidently shoot much further- just make sure you know and stay within the ethical limits of your load.

A good pair of shooting sticks will be great. Your guide with Bull Valley will have a pair- he likes these super light weight ones that are like 2 tent poles that have a rubber sleeve at the top. They feel a little flimsy at first, but you can settle in on them pretty well. I killed a bull off of his sticks, no problem. But I always think it helps to practice on a piece of equipment, so I carry my own. I would advise against a super heavy awkward tripod style that will take forever to set up and be loud clanking off of brush the whole trip.

I would highly suggest a couple of speed loaders. If you shoot pellets, the little plastic green CVA rapid loader tubes work well. If you are shooting loose powder, something like the 4-in-1 Speed-Loaders, it can measure and hold powder on one side, and your bullet on the other. You just want to keep your powder and bullet together, in my opinion, so you aren't scrambling in the moment.

Also, I found some small little containers with screw top lids at the grocery store (toiletry isle). One was round, and the exact diameter as the patches I use. So I always put a few patches in there (water proof), and take that and a small bottle of cleaner with me in the field. That way I can clean my gun in the field if I fire a couple times and need to.
Furlock Bones
AG
Traditions Hawken .50 cal

Apache
AG
What grain bullet are you shooting with the .50 cal?
On some muzzleloader forums many guys were saying 300gr. was not enough for elk.

CEPhD
AG
I like the Knight Bloodline 275

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/knight-bloodline-muzzleloader-bullets-sabots-50-cal.html
The Fife
Matchlock or GTFO!

txaggie02
AG
Here is the thread I started on my Remington 700 Ultimate. It shoots like a dream! Couldn't be happier with the performance. The muzzle brake is a game changer.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2946088
txaggie02
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.