Outdoors
Sponsored by

Arrowheads

10,076 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by B-1 83
rock08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*Post your collections!*

Most of mine were found between San Antonio and New Braunfels in the 90s

I don't know much about them other than that

The missing one was my favorite. Took it to elementary school one day and it broke on my pocket. Worst day of my life up to that point.

AgTDub
AG
Nothing to contribute but that's cool. I've looked my whole life(37 yrs) and never found a single one. Spent a ton of time hunting and in the outdoors in that same central Texas area. Maybe one day....
MouthBQ98
AG
I see Atl dart points, spear points, a couple of possible knives, a tomahawk head, a scraper, and a couple of arrowheads.
EFE
AG
All found between Bexar and LaSalle county. This is one of 11 similar shadow boxes my dad has made for his siblings, children and nieces and nephews. To quote a history buff/arrow head hunter friend "If you really look at it, it's easier to figure out where Indians weren't, than where all they were"
SanAntoneAg
AG
Obviously, not all arrowheads. Lots of broken ones (thanks cattle), chips, scrapers and discards. Got a couple good ones that aren't in the pic plus a few round river rocks that were in an Indian's tote bag from the Frio or Nueces to work hides. Most are from our little place in eastern Edwards County.

Watchful Ag
AG
My three year old son finding his first arrowhead on family property in Mason. December 2017

rock08
AG
That is a great photo!
IJones23
My grandfather had an extensive collection that he started when he was a kid in Deer Park, and continued it when he moved to Texarkana. After he passed, I wanted it because it's something we would do together. The women in charge of the estate sale sold them behind our backs before I could get my hands on them.
aggieland09
AG
I don't have any photos uploaded that I can post. Love arrowheads. Keep them coming.
ConstructionAg01
AG

Various pieces found on job sites around the hill country.
dave99ag
AG
A few that we've found around our place near Alpine. My wife found a nearly intact bird point last weekend. Always a happy surprise to find one. We leave alone anything we find near the camp though.

MouthBQ98
AG
Always blows my mind how many were made in just 15,000 years by not that many people. They were apparently very skilled at making a new point rapidly when one was needed versus trying to find and reuse older expended points.
PFG
AG
I've never found an arrowhead

One of my greatest disappointments as a Texan. Followed immediately by having never caught a redfish in Texas waters.
MouthBQ98
AG
Keep in mind the bow was a relatively recent development in the Americas. Most of prehistory was thrown spears or atlatl darts.
aTm2004
AG
User name checks out.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Always blows my mind how many were made in just 15,000 years by not that many people.

Population estimates of indigenous pre-European contact (Sorry not you Vikings) are around 50 million.
You've got to figure only about 20% actually carry arrowheads around on a daily basis.... so maybe 10 million people.

These folks are hunting at LEAST 5 days a week, carrying about 10 arrows or so I'd guess.

So at any given time there were 100 million arrowheads being carried across the Americas.

Best case our Indian is making himself at least 10 new arrowheads for himself every year to replace lost ones.

100 million new arrowheads every year x 1000 years = 100 billion arrowheads made in just the last 1000 years in the New World.

Let's say half those were in North America. 50 billion arrowheads.
North America is 9,540,00 square miles.

That means there are 5,241 arrowheads per square mile laying around out there.

27,848,400 square feet in a square mile, so there's an arrowhead out there on roughly every 5,300.00 square feet.

So there are two arrowheads on your average 1/4 acre neighborhood lot. Kinda cool & it really boggles the mind.... and LiveOak hasn't found one yet. tsk, tsk.
AgTDub
AG
Me either....
Greener Acres
AG
Great pics and the detail in some of those are amazing.

We have some property that has a point with tons of flakes and chipped rocks. It apparently was a place where indians would sit and watch, while making arrow blanks to take back to their camps to refine into arrowheads.
Apache
AG
I've only found a few, so I kid.

About three years back, I was working on a job near the intersection of Shoal Creek & Lamar (middle of Austin). A skid steer was running through the yard doing some grading & I was standing there with the GC.
All of a sudden he looks down and picks up a perfect arrowhead, about 3" long just laying there on top of the ground in freshly turned dirt.

I was equal parts amazed he found it there & pissed off I didn't look down before he did.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Greener Acres said:

Great pics and the detail in some of those are amazing.

We have some property that has a point with tons of flakes and chipped rocks. It apparently was a place where indians would sit and watch, while making arrow blanks to take back to their camps to refine into arrowheads.

I was on a job site south of Cuero for several days drilling in an area exactly like that along a small dry creek. Lots of blanks and chips. I walked as much as I could and never found a good one, just plenty of pieces.

I got out of the truck at my buddy's place and stepped right on top of a really large blank. Still have that at my office.
NoahAg
Apache said:

Quote:

Always blows my mind how many were made in just 15,000 years by not that many people.

Population estimates of indigenous pre-European contact (Sorry not you Vikings) are around 50 million.
You've got to figure only about 20% actually carry arrowheads around on a daily basis.... so maybe 10 million people.

These folks are hunting at LEAST 5 days a week, carrying about 10 arrows or so I'd guess.

So at any given time there were 100 million arrowheads being carried across the Americas.

Best case our Indian is making himself at least 10 new arrowheads for himself every year to replace lost ones.

100 million new arrowheads every year x 1000 years = 100 billion arrowheads made in just the last 1000 years in the New World.

Let's say half those were in North America. 50 billion arrowheads.
North America is 9,540,00 square miles.

That means there are 5,241 arrowheads per square mile laying around out there.

27,848,400 square feet in a square mile, so there's an arrowhead out there on roughly every 5,300.00 square feet.

So there are two arrowheads on your average 1/4 acre neighborhood lot. Kinda cool & it really boggles the mind.... and LiveOak hasn't found one yet. tsk, tsk.

username checks out
MouthBQ98
AG
I should sneak onto my neightbor's place, just a leased pasture. They turned about 2/3 of it over with a plow about 8" deep to restore it for future grazing and brought a ton of rocks up to the surfaces.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
The only flint tool I have found in the wild, was in Katy and near where I found prehistoric bones of what they think was a bison. All under about 10' of soil in the Bayou bed wall. It fit the hand quite well. In storage at the Katy Outdoor center.
Watchful Ag
AG
Where was this at?

I live in Katy (South I-10) along the bayou. Would love for my son's second arrowhead to be in his "backyard"
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Where was this at?

I live in Katy (South I-10) along the bayou. Would love for my son's second arrowhead to be in his "backyard"
Where Greenbusch road crosses the Buffalo Bayou, Look North, First big left bend where the bayou disappears, on the east bank before the bend. There could be more bones in the bank also. If it is grassy you will have a hard time. It was a dirt embankment that I dug out with a handsized freshwater clam shell. I dug all day in the late 1980s pulling out bone after bone and the one flint tool. I grew up out there from 1970 to 1989. Be VERY wary of snakes. I grew a rockhound, but Katy doesn't have many native rocks.
76Ag
AG
Was that house along the bayou that was removed for apartments yours? This is behind the Wal-Mart grocery store.
CanyonAg77
AG
Lucky guys. I've found a couple of worked shards, and that's it. However, they were Alibates flint, and found on farms I worked that are at least 60 miles from Alibates.

I had an uncle who lived near the caprock where Dawson, Borden, and Martin counties come together. There was a cotton field with a slight rise in front of his house. He always said it looked like the kind of place Indians would camp. He had a crap ton of arrowheads and other objects he collected from there. The soil is very sandy, and he would hunt every time it rained or the dust blew.

He also would go to Amistad Reservoir when the Rio was first dammed in the 60s and 70s. He would cross to the Mexican side, and explore caves that were soon to be inundated by the lake. He recovered another crap ton of artifacts from there.

His only child is my cousin, who is alcoholic and most days, does not realize his parents and ex wife are dead. I hope his daughter (uncle's granddaughter), who has her head on straight, remarkably, will take care of the collection.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Here is a map of the area

I know the house in the upper right of the picture as the Larson house, the original owners.
It looks like they changed the bayou bed since then also.
I found the stuff north of the rapids, before the big bend on the bank below the Larson house.
There were other landmarks that are gone now. Hell the bridge was made of creosote lumber back then.
If the re-profiled the bayou they likely scraped away anything I missed bu who knows.
It used to have a profile like this...

We used to bow hunt from the lower grass level where available.
It looks like they shaped it into a wide V shape, but I haven't been down there in years.
Watchful Ag
AG
Thanks for the clarification. We just moved into a house last summer towards the end of Hunter Lane. It's about a half-mile northwest from where you described. I run along the bayou from time to time looking for fishing spots for the boys. I'll now have to keep a look out for opportunities to dig as well.

PS ... You didn't happen to know a Mark J. who lived on Hunter Lane did you? Based on what I've been finding throughout the property, I also think he was an amateur geologist.
Gardening Ag

Canyon, do you ever find artifacts around the playa lakes?

I would think there would be some campsites along the tierra blanca too

CanyonAg77
AG
Funny, one of the Alibates shards I found was on the north side of a large playa. I was told that Indians liked to camp on the north and northeast sides of playas to take advantage of cool wind over the water.

Most of the Tierra Blanca and Palo Duro creeks are private property, so you're going to have to get permission to search. I don't doubt that the there is stuff to find. I was told by folks from the city of Canyon that they couldn't build roads in certain parts of Southeast Park due to Indian camp sites that would be disturbed.

The same uncle from Dawson County got us permission to go on the Dean Ranch. We took my Junior High science teacher, and we dug up a mammoth tooth and saw a tusk, too degraded to recover. Along that dry creek were blackened campfire rocks every 50 feet or so.

I also got to go with that same teacher on a Triassic fossil hunt in Crosby County. I have some coprolite and some phytosaur teeth from that trip.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Thanks for the clarification. We just moved into a house last summer towards the end of Hunter Lane. It's about a half-mile northwest from where you described. I run along the bayou from time to time looking for fishing spots for the boys. I'll now have to keep a look out for opportunities to dig as well.

PS ... You didn't happen to know a Mark J. who lived on Hunter Lane did you? Based on what I've been finding throughout the property, I also think he was an amateur geologist.
Mark J. doesn't sound familiar. Two names from your area were Svek(sp?) and Rhymes. I grew up on Saddle Spur lane. Family name is on a couple of roads south of town where they settled in the early 1900's. Best of luck to you and your kids finding a good fishing hole. We had more to choose from for sure. Population of Katy proper was less than 10k when I left and there were still had many rice farms. I hardly recognize it now.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Funny, one of the Alibates shards I found was on the north side of a large playa. I was told that Indians liked to camp on the north and northeast sides of playas to take advantage of cool wind over the water.

Most of the Tierra Blanca and Palo Duro creeks are private property, so you're going to have to get permission to search. I don't doubt that the there is stuff to find. I was told by folks from the city of Canyon that they couldn't build roads in certain parts of Southeast Park due to Indian camp sites that would be disturbed.

The same uncle from Dawson County got us permission to go on the Dean Ranch. We took my Junior High science teacher, and we dug up a mammoth tooth and saw a tusk, too degraded to recover. Along that dry creek were blackened campfire rocks every 50 feet or so.

I also got to go with that same teacher on a Triassic fossil hunt in Crosby County. I have some coprolite and some phytosaur teeth from that trip.
Just a bunch of coprolite!
up-n-aTm
AG
Been an arrowhead hunter my whole life. Found lots of them in the Freer/Laredo area on hunting leases. However, my greatest find is one that I found on a spoil island near Baffin Bay by shear luck. Those islands were made in the 1930's, so that arrowhead had to have been dredged up from the bay. It's a beautiful spear point- nearly 4 inches long with beautiful ears. Some Karancahua Indian probably threw it at a redfish hundreds or thousands of years ago. My buddy looked it up and estimated the age at around 2,500 years.
CanyonAg77
AG
You also reminded me of something I find interesting. Three of the major ages of archaic Indians are identified by the specific types of points they made.

Clovis - 70 miles to the west
Folsom - 150 miles to the NW
Plainview - 50 miles south
Alibates flint - 60 miles north

And with the Palo Duro and Tierra Blanca creeks here, Indians have been wandering this area for maybe 12,000 years.

You'd think some of those suckers would have dropped something for me to find

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.