Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gun stock finish?

3,749 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone made or refinished an old wooden gun stock?

I'm carving some new furniture for my old youth .22 Hornet, I've passed down to my son. Just wanting some recommendations on a good quality finish for the wood that can take a beating. I would prefer to keep it a little more lightly colored, but the wood isn't super figured so not a huge deal. Just want more natural than the very red tones on a lot of older guns.
schmellba99
AG
Depends on what you want - gloss, semi-gloss, dull?

Can go from staining of your choice and a boiled linseed oil finish up to a high gloss urethane.

Last one I did I sanded all of the old finish off, re-stained with Minwax Red Oak (2-3 coats IIRC), then a coat of semi-gloss urethane topped by a coat of gloss urethane. That was for a coach style shotgun though, and it was pretty much what I wanted out of it.
Wodanaz
AG
I've recently redone a couple following this dudes method.

One I stripped, sanded, stained with a light stain, and followed by 10 coats of tru oil.

Next one did the same but used burgundy rit fabric dye followed by 10 coats/wet sanding tru oil.

Gunny456
AG
Birchwood Casey makes a pretty simple gunstock refinish kit that gives really good results. It gives a hand rubbed oil finish look to the stock that looks very traditional to stocks made in the early 1900's.
Just your preference of how glossy you want it if you want to use urethane and not a hand rubbed oil finish look.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I've used bees wax on some pistol grps and liked it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.