Outdoors
Sponsored by

Grackle control

6,551 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Sarge
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was finally able to jump on a deer lease of my own this year and I got a question for those more seasoned than myself.

I've got grackles hanging out at the feeder damn near all day. Like the big ass loud kind.

Do I need to shoo these things off and if so how that won't disrupt the deer? I see all kind of bird be gone gadgets that make noise and what not but would think that would deter deer as well.

Just curious if it's something that needs to be addressed.
CKeith21
AG
A gamo air rifle should do the trick
SteveBott
AG
You sure they are not crows? Never seen a crackle on the places I've hunted. If they are I've been told on OB shoot one and leave it on the ground. Supposed to scare them off for awhile.

Legal disclosure: I've never done this
Ag_07
AG
SteveBott said:

You sure they are not crows?

No

But to be truthful I'm no ornithologist but these are what I've always known as grackles.

Place is over in ETX in Hardin County if that helps.
STX Ag
AG
I thought grackles were city dwellers.
SteveBott
AG
To be fair a male crackle looks similar to a crow but much smaller. So not obvious.

But I've never seen crows under a feeder either so I don't know. But I'd make target practice day either way.
rootube
AG
My recommendation is a border collie or aussie. I've seen trained dogs working in Chicago on canada geese that are the grackle of the upper midwest. This would be a fun diversion from hunting.

SanAntoneAg
AG
Is your new lease in downtown San Antonio?
TX AG 88
AG
I hate grackles. Hate them. But I'd be careful talking about shooting them, I believe they are covered by the migratory bird act.
Post removed:
by user
zooguy96
AG
TX AG 88 said:

I hate grackles. Hate them. But I'd be careful talking about shooting them, I believe they are covered by the migratory bird act.

This. Protected.
SteveBott
AG
I also hate crackles. If it was legal I'd kill a hundred a year, just in my yard. 410, 8 shot would be fun. All the squirrels would be a bonus.
Ag_07
AG
I imagine hanging up a fake owl and moving it around would work but would that spook deer as well?

And maybe they are crows since I'm seeing crows are bigger. These have wingspans of at least a couple feet. Either way they're invading the feeder and filling up my camera.
BuddysBud
AG
zooguy96 said:

TX AG 88 said:

This. Protected.

Crows also.
highvelocity
AG
SSS
Zaiquiri
AG
"Yellow-headed, red-winged, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds, crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredation on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner, that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance (Federal Regulation 50 CFR 21.43)."
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

Maybe I am wrong but I have always read this in a way that permitted control of grackles.

Thoughts?
water turkey
You think the deer care?

Not sure that annoying me at my deer lease would meet those standards.
Ag_07
AG
water turkey said:

You think the deer care?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking

I don't think they would care if it's just a couple birds, but when there 10+ birds I think it would have an affect.

But again I could be completely wrong
rootube
AG
Zaiquiri said:

"Yellow-headed, red-winged, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds, crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredation on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner, that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance (Federal Regulation 50 CFR 21.43)."
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

Maybe I am wrong but I have always read this in a way that permitted control of grackles.

Thoughts?
The statute for grackles should mention that this is payback for that time I parked my truck under an oak tree in the fish lot for a month and they glazed it like a donut.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Ag_07 said:

SteveBott said:

You sure they are not crows?

No

But to be truthful I'm no ornithologist but these are what I've always known as grackles.

Place is over in ETX in Hardin County if that helps.
I'm well versed in bird law and other lawyering things.
eet_mor_beef
AG
Zaiquiri said:

Thoughts?
Was going to post this. Choot 'em!
txags92
AG
Not to be contrarian, but I don't read anything in that regulatory citation that would allow control of grackles or crows eating feed from a deer feeder.
carl spacklers hat
"...or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner, that constitutes a health hazard or OR OTHER NUISANCE."

Sounds pretty wide open to interpret.

"Yes, Officer, the constant squaking while in my blind was giving me a headache. And it scared off the deer."
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Google "black bird trash bag decoy" or trash bag crow decoy. Never done this before, but I hear it's a good time!

WP69
AG
Grackles have yellow eyes, crows don't.
txags92
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

"...or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner, that constitutes a health hazard or OR OTHER NUISANCE."

Sounds pretty wide open to interpret.

"Yes, Officer, the constant squaking while in my blind was giving me a headache. And it scared off the deer."

Eating food you put out to attract wildlife (even if you only really want deer, you are feeding "wildlife") isn't going to be considered a "nuisance" by most game wardens. The "other nuisances" they are talking about are going to be things like crapping all over sidewalks and making enough stench to drive customers and residents away from roost areas.
Ag_07
AG
Hogs are considered a nuisance and they're eating the food I put out for wildlife.

Just playing devil's advocate.
txags92
AG
Hogs are not protected by a treaty agreeement.
Old Sarge
AG
We hunt south of Victoria, which is probably the grackle capital of Texas, at least that'd be my take. I cannot remember seeing more than a few grackles at our deer lease over the years. However, we have some deer seasons, especially later in the year, that have swarms of actual crows that love the corn. What is weird though, they usually flock to the corn in the road much more so than under the feeders. In fact, I have less pictures of crows under the feeder than Cardinals. By far.
John Cocktolstoy
I hate both birds. Kill em!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
JoeCephas1974
SteveBott said:

To be fair a male crackle looks similar to a crow but much smaller. So not obvious.

But I've never seen crows under a feeder either so I don't know. But I'd make target practice day either way.
I've had crows, on occasion, under my feeder. I grew up in Tyler County (borders Hardin County) so I would imagine that's what it is.
Fair winds and a following sea.
Old Sarge
AG
Our Baine is the woodpeckers. Those SOBs hammer EVERY 4x4 deer blind leg with a huge hole and sometimes work on the corners of the blinds all the way through. They have even hammered the "eyes" of our game cams.

I will shoot every one I see. Period. Pellet gun, shot gun, or deer rifle. If caught shooting a woodpecker by the GW, I would request that we reconcile after the season so that I could write one check for killing their asses in lot, instead of many, smaller fines. Maybe I could get a discount for quantities?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.