Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brass knuckles will soon be legal to carry in Texas

5,957 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brass knuckles will soon be legal to carry in Texas

Quote:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) signed a bill into law over the weekend that lifts the ban on carrying brass knuckles and other self-defense items in public.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/brass-knuckles-legal-in-texas
MouthBQ98
AG
It'll be 5 years before all the LEO finally figure out it is legal again.
RK
AG
My 12 year old self is very excited about this news.
dr_boogs
AG
Meanwhile property taxes continue to skyrocket, the government grows, and our essential services (police fire EMT) are underpaid. Glad they are focusing on major priorities.
BearJew13
AG
Property tax reform made it to the Governor's desk as well.
SunrayAg
AG
dr_boogs said:

Meanwhile property taxes continue to skyrocket, the government grows, and our essential services (police fire EMT) are underpaid. Glad they are focusing on major priorities.
There is a self defense keychain for women that is popular other places but is illegal in Texas due to an antiquated law. Changing this law was not a bad thing.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
what about butterfly knives? always wanted one of those.
maverick2076
Those have been legal for a couple years now.
highvelocity
AG
Excellent. EDC is about to expand just a little bit
aggiedent
AG
I agree with dr boogs sentiment. Our state seems to spend an inordinate amount of time and resources on dubious issues. Yes, a property tax reform did make it to his desk. But why the hell did it take so many years to get there? Why are many experts saying it's not going to save us much money?

Sometimes I think their actions are more for show than actually getting results. Bloody useless if you ask me.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
maverick2076 said:

Those have been legal for a couple years now.

had no idea. what about collapsible batons like an asp?
Mas89
AG
dr_boogs said:

But our legislature did ensure massive continued campaign contributions by effectively killing our eminent domain reform bill this session, SB 421. Tom Craddick, who has been a Tx House Rep since 1968, and is the former speaker and power broker in the house takes the credit this session for killing the bill.

I think I would like a pair of brass knuckles...
rootube
AG
How about switch blades, velvet paintings and stuffed frogs playing pool?
danieljustin06
AG
I wish we'd legalize pot and gambling and take those taxes and do away with property taxes. Naturally it'd be a phase in/out.
Old RV Ag
AG
What about numb chucks? Gotta have those!
Stat Monitor Repairman
SunrayAg said:

dr_boogs said:

There is a self defense keychain for women that is popular other places but is illegal in Texas due to an antiquated law. Changing this law was not a bad thing.
I'm imagining a woman in some type of life-threatening situation digging around in her giant ass purse trying to find her keys because her self defense keychain is attached to it.

That said, the dude that invented and marketed the device is probably financially comfortable right now.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The removal of the club is long overdue. It is beyond ridiculous that you can carry a handgun but not a less than lethal (in most case) weapon that may appeal to some or may at least frighten off potential attackers without subjecting one to an aggravated assault charge if he misinterprets the situation or defends himself against the "wrong" person, if you get my drift. Keep in mind that the law doesn't change until Sept. 1.

But the removal of a club here is key. The club is currently defined as:

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.

There doesn't appear to be any difference between an ASP (expanding) baton and a nightstick and I've wanted to carry one of those for years. But I'll research that over the summer and get some opinions on the matter.
The Fall Guy
AG
What about Chinese Stars?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
aggiedent said:

I agree with dr boogs sentiment. Our state seems to spend an inordinate amount of time and resources on dubious issues. Yes, a property tax reform did make it to his desk. But why the hell did it take so many years to get there? Why are many experts saying it's not going to save us much money?

Sometimes I think their actions are more for show than actually getting results. Bloody useless if you ask me.

Start your own thread and I can give some insight
BenderRodriguez
AG
Article is an interesting study on media manipulation, and it's even from a "right wing" site.

They lead the headline with "BRASS KNUCKLES LEGAL", because most people only think of brass knuckles as something bad guys use in movies, while burying in the article two bits of info: 1) this legalizes carry of clubs/self defense keychains. 2) bill passed both the house and the senate unanimously, meaning not a single person in our legislature in either party found anything to object to in a bill repealing this old, bad law.

Thanks to that headline, we're all making jokes about brass knuckles instead of celebrating another dumb law being repealed.

I get that it was a silly law and carrying brass knuckles is silly, but any day laws are repealed instead of created is a good day in my book.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Does this "property tax reform" include more new taxes? Because if that's the case, it's less "reform" and just an expansion of government.
DriftwoodAg
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

The removal of the club is long overdue. It is beyond ridiculous that you can carry a handgun but not a less than lethal (in most case) weapon that may appeal to some or may at least frighten off potential attackers without subjecting one to an aggravated assault charge if he misinterprets the situation or defends himself against the "wrong" person, if you get my drift. Keep in mind that the law doesn't change until Sept. 1.

But the removal of a club here is key. The club is currently defined as:

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.

There doesn't appear to be any difference between an ASP (expanding) baton and a nightstick and I've wanted to carry one of those for years. But I'll research that over the summer and get some opinions on the matter.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
dr_boogs said:

No, Police/Fire/EMS are definitely NOT underpaid in major cities in Texas. But I agree with everything else you said.
rootube
AG
BlueSmoke
Quote:

There doesn't appear to be any difference between an ASP (expanding) baton and a nightstick and I've wanted to carry one of those for years.
Same. Charging dog or crazy person. Give me an ASP every day of the week (vs pocketknife)
Nobody cares. Work Harder
dubi
AG
Quote:

self defense keychains

Link to one that would actually be useful?
rootube
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Article is an interesting study on media manipulation, and it's even from a "right wing" site.

They lead the headline with "BRASS KNUCKLES LEGAL", because most people only think of brass knuckles as something bad guys use in movies, while burying in the article two bits of info: 1) this legalizes carry of clubs/self defense keychains. 2) bill passed both the house and the senate unanimously, meaning not a single person in our legislature in either party found anything to object to in a bill repealing this old, bad law.

Thanks to that headline, we're all making jokes about brass knuckles instead of celebrating another dumb law being repealed.

I get that it was a silly law and carrying brass knuckles is silly, but any day laws are repealed instead of created is a good day in my book.
Are you talking about the article linked above? The title of the article is "Brass knuckles will soon be legal to carry in Texas"

The title seems kind of self descriptive. What would you suggest as a title for an article with information on a bill passing that legalizes brass knuckles?
Naveronski
AG
Yes, they are.

EMS in Brazos county for a non-city service pays $13/hr. EMS in Arlington pays $15.

That's underpaid, imo.
BearJew13
AG
Based on my understanding it does not. It just lowers the caped amount an appraisal district can increase values to without holding a vote from 8% to 2.5%- I think*
Tim Weaver
dubi said:

Quote:

self defense keychains

This....

Would potentially like to buy some for wife and daughter.
JSKolache
AG
dr_boogs said:

Bill passed unanimously in both houses, i.e. no debate & took like 2 mins max.

Also police, fire, EMT are local issues not state matters.
dubi
AG

MY KITTY PLASTIC SELF-DEFENSE KEYCHAIN WEAPON BLACK
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

self defense keychains

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.