Outdoors
Sponsored by

How to trap a snake?

3,565 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SteveBott
howdy2u
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter's boyfriend has a roommate who makes - maybe not the greatest choices sometimes. The latest adventure is snake-related, and this seemed like a good place to ask for advice.

Said roommate is mildly afraid of snakes. So he decides to overcome his fear by purchasing a pet snake. What I was told was "white and black king snake".

Anyway, after dropping around a hundred bucks, the guy owns the snake for maybe an hour or two. In that time, he manages to get it wrapped around his neck, but apparently it "didn't squeeze that tight" so hey, no harm done. Anyway, he leaves and doesn't properly secure the snake. When he returns, the snake is gone.

They live in an older frame home, lots of gaps for a snake to escape. No sign of the snake for a few weeks. Everyone figures it is gone for good.

Fast forward to tonight. My daughter and her boyfriend come home to his place, and there's the snake, hanging out in the middle of the living room. They try to grab it, but it goes under the couch. They move the couch, can't find the snake, and call the other roommate, who has a major snake phobia, and who owns the couch. He tells the to cut the couch to pieces to find the snake. They shred the couch, but no sign of the snake. Then, they notice a little snake-sized hole in the wall.

The working theory is the snake is living in the walls. The one roommate wants his snake back, the other is thinking that maybe burning down the house wouldn't be a bad idea. My daughter and her boyfriend think snake trapping sounds fun, so they're game to help recover it.

So, any suggestions on how to trap a snake?
Newoldarmy
AG
My first thought would be a 5 gallon bucket with a climbing branch stuck to the outside of it.

Put a live mouse in there and wait.

Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
A shotgun is the best snake trap I've ever used.
BuddysBud
AG
If it is a B/W king snake, they don't have to worry about mice, rats, copperheads, or cotton mouths.
BuddysBud
AG
Check out MouthBQ's trap halfway down this page, https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2921838/9
Kenneth_2003
AG
Soooo... when they can't recover it... i imagine their landlord is going to love getting to advertise the included pest/rodent control.
Al Bula
AG
Step 1.

Step 2.

AtlAg05
AG
So the roommate has a major snake phobia, buys a snake and then feels like the best solution to find a snake that went under a couch is to tear it to pieces?

He might burn the place down so be careful.
AnScAggie
AG
Check out the YouTube videos by the Indian (dot) kids. They catch a metric crapton of snakes.
MemphisAg1
AG
The OP sounds like a great script for a Seinfeld episode.
magnumtmp
AG
I caught a rat snake just yesterday. Used grabbers you can buy at harbor freight.

howdy2u
AG
Thanks for the suggestions! I have passed them along (well except the shotgun one...)

Yes, they pretty much are a sitcom. :-)

I'll update if anything happens.
chris1515
AG
I've caught several snakes by accident in that nylon/plastic bird netting you buy to keep birds off your garden and fruit trees. Somehow they get twisted up in that and can't escape.
Birddog
AG
Turn the ac as low as possible and make as cold in the house as possible. Then get a heating pad or two and put them out. Snake being cold-blooded will need to thermoregulate and go for the heat source. Also the cold will make them more "sluggish" and easier to catch. Snake could head to under the fridge or similar appliance where it will also be warm.
FSGuide
Minnow traps work really well to catch snakes. When I was a teenager I trapped water snakes in them all the time at our lake house. Put a live frog or toad in there and place the trap near the water. Sometimes 3-4 in a single night.

I guess if you put a mouse or rat in it and sat it near the snake hole you mentioned it would work the same.
Pine Curtain Ag
AG
Tape plastic bags along the bottom of the walls in the room where the hole is. A lot of times they'll hug the wall as they move and you'll hear the plastic bag crinkle
Voice of Reason.
howdy2u said:

So, any suggestions on how to trap a snake?
Find an object with an opening that will be fairly tight on the snake. May want to put some grass or similar material around the opening so it feels at home when it finds it. Keep it a little damp and warm and it should crawl in without too many hesitations. Once it's in, it's up to them if they want it to stay in or pull it out.
Cen-Tex
AG
Cut a small hole in a raw egg and insert a perch hook. Tie 3-4 ft of monofilament to the hook and tie the other end to a stationary object. Tape over the hole on the egg. Place the egg in an accessible location and wait.
rather be fishing
AG
This is so elaborate that it had to be done.
TxFig
AG
Find a bee-removal person who owns a FLIR (I have one). We use it to locate beehives inside the walls of structures.

The snake should give off a heat signature which should be fairly easy to find if it's inside the walls. Once located, cut the sheetrock and retrieve the snake (sheetrock is an easy repair).

If it's outside, attach a FLIR to a drone and fly it at night. This worked for Troy Landry when looking for a 13' python in the bayous of Lousianna... (last episode of Swamp People).
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Tim Weaver
They have a snake roommate now. Might as well get used to it. Keep a light on for your little homie on those cold nights.....
howdy2u
AG
Not much progress so far. They set out a bucket with a branch but none of them have gone and gotten a mouse, so it hasn't been very effective. Traps without bait don't tend to work.

I suggested a toad - with all the recent rain, it shouldn't be hard to find one. We'll see if they do it.

I'll also pass along the additional suggestions.
SteveBott
AG
This post won't resinate in the house but I'd just leave it be and not worry about it. He will eventually show up and you can catch it if it hads a food source, which means the kids have other problems like rats. Or leave if there is nothing to eat. It does take a while for snakes to get hungry but they will.

Heck if he is hanging out I'd leave it to clear up
My other problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.