Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting Cocker Spaniel Breeders

7,645 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
Born Maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for an upland flusher/retriever from a hunting blood line.

Any good breeder recommendations?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Not to be a smartass - and I think Cockers are beautiful, but I think what you're looking for is a Boykin.
AgBQ-00
AG
I looked into field bred cocker's a few years ago. Seems there was a good breeder out around Abilene. Will look to see if I can find their name again
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AgBQ-00
AG
Working English cockers

This is the place that I was considering. Heard from several people they have great dogs. I ended up going with a different breed but thought i would share the breeder i was looking at
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've hunted behind cocker spaniels up in Oklahoma a few years ago. I was amazed at how good they were at retrieving. Had never thought about the breed before as a gun dog, but I was impressed.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would gladly give you my wife's cocker. Its a real flusher.
PANHANDLE10
Before I saw a field bred cocker, I imagined them like the cocker spaniel that sleeps on your Grandma's couch. If you've seen a field bred cocker then you understand the difference.

My Dad's is from Covey Flush in Georgia. The best marketed kennel is Ryglen in North Dakota, they have a long wait time.

Field Bred Cockers on Facebook will take you to a lot more breeders.

OP are you going to hunt it tandem with a pointing dog or solo?
RCR06
AG
There's a guy named ron boehme(hes been on meateater a few times), that has a podcast called the hunting dog podcast. He just got one within the last year. I think he got it from a place in Georgia. He calls it an english cocker and got it to be a flusher.
putu
AG
Do they pee when they flush a bird?
"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
houstonLBD
AG
If you are only looking at doing Upland Hunting, a field bred cocker is a great pick. Watching a well trained cocker quarter a field, put a bird up, sit to mark the bird, then retrieve is fun to watch. If you plan on doing some dove/duck hunting as well, a Boykin may be more up your alley. Boykins excel at Upland work and Retriever work for duck/dove. Boykins are great dual purpose dogs, and still make great lap dogs after getting back from the field with their Spaniel size!
JR69
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

Before I saw a field bred cocker, I imagined them like the cocker spaniel that sleeps on your Grandma's couch. If you've seen a field bred cocker then you understand the difference.

My Dad's is from Covey Flush in Georgia. The best marketed kennel is Ryglen in North Dakota, they have a long wait time.

Field Bred Cockers on Facebook will take you to a lot more breeders.

I have a 4-1/2 month old English Cocker from Covey Flush - sire and dam both from England and 5 generation pedigree of each is full of field trial champions. I waited just 4 months for mine, whelped Dec 31. He is taking to training really well, but geez he's got a lot of energy.

http://www.coveyflushkennels.com/

English Cockers are bigger and stouter than (American) Cockers and the Field Bred variety is even more robust. They are outstanding retrievers and great mild weather water dogs. I wouldn't hesitate to take one duck hunting if I was a duck hunter, nor would it be any problem in the dove field.
EFE
AG
How much do they shed? Been looking at these real hard since my Springer breeder decided to hang it up.
JR69
AG
EFE said:

How much do they shed? Been looking at these real hard since my Springer breeder decided to hang it up.
I don't find mine to shed much at all but I've only had him in my apartment for 3 months. All my conversations and reading tell me they shed about the same as a Springer. Field bred dogs will shed less than bench bred dogs.
Born Maroon
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

It will be teamed with a GSP.

Thanks for all the replies.
PANHANDLE10
I flushed with a Lab for a long time. He was one hell of a dog but my pointers sometimes viewed him as competition. I would have to give most of them breaks from him flushing or they would get creepy. They didn't like him going in front of them.

The cocker my Dad has will not get in front of the pointers unless you're in front too. It's much more timid, in a good way though. Obviously smaller than them too so they don't seem to mind her. It's really working out nicely. She is a vacuum on dead birds and cripples. A lot more athletic than I would have guessed, the dog can really cover some ground in a hurry. My pointers lose interest in dead birds pretty quickly. She'll get you all the birds before they can go on point again.

On top of that this cocker is the ideal dove/ teal season dog. Doesn't seem to get hot or tired like bigger dogs.

You can find one in Texas I bet if you look. It's a good idea, you'll like hunting it with the GSP.

SteveBott
AG
Not sure if the only breed is Cocker for you but here are some Brittany's about to be sold. Looks like a couple of weeks away. Cannot say anything about genetics or family history but they work full time on an upland outfitters ranch. I do not know the dogs or the seller but I know his son pretty well and they are good AGs.

Quote:

Hello Quail Hunters,
I want to Thank you for hunting with us this past season and remind you to keep your Fall and Winter hunting plans in mind, especially if you'd like to hunt the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays. Those days get booked quickly so plan ahead and get on my calendar soon.

I need to find homes for a litter of Brittany pups that were born 4/5/19. I have liver and orange and tri-color, males and females. Females are $550 and males are $350. That's a considerable discount from previous asking prices.

Parents are Red and Daisy. They hunt nearly everyday of the season and you probably have hunted with them.
Pups can go home next week and I am willing to negotiate. I'll meet you within a two hour radius of Dime Box for delivery.

Mike Schumann
1009 PR 4531
Dime Box,TX 77853

979-540-0745

schubros2hunt@yahoo.com
edit here is his website but I saw nothing on the dogs there

http://QuailHuntDimeBox.com
Born Maroon
AG
Just ordered a puppy from Covey Flush.

Thanks again for the advice and replies.
JR69
AG
Born Maroon said:

Just ordered a puppy from Covey Flush.

Thanks again for the advice and replies.
I've visited with Chris in his home and seen all his dogs except his newest females so I'm curious. When do you expect the puppy to be whelped and when delivered? Do you know the sire and dam? Chris has some great dogs so I'm sure you will be happy with your puppy.
AgBQ-00
AG
Be sure to post pics when you get them
cupofjoe04
AG
How has this thread made it this far without anyone poking fun at the low hanging fruit in the title?

- Surely it isn't that hard hunting dog breeders...
- Would you consider hunting breeders of other dog breeds as well?
- I would think hunting Great Dane breeders might be interesting. Or, if you want dangerous big game, go after some pit breeders.
- Do you bait or hunt high fence? Or are the breeders fair chase?
- Can you do a combo and throw a cougar in with the breeder hunt?

*sigh* it really is the off-season. I'll see myself out now...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.