Outdoors
Sponsored by

Not Outdoors, but You Guys Know Stuff

6,065 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Factory Builder Stores
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am trying to repair (rather than replace for a cost of $2,600 or more) a working GE Advantium microwave with broken glass in the door. The manufacturer no longer makes the door assembly or the glass. I've looked everywhere for this part. It is simply not available.

I took the door assembly apart and it would be simple enough to replace the glass with a new piece of tempered glass. However, the glass is silk-screened. You can't replace with a clear glass because you can see the inner workings of the door without the silk-screen.

I considered masking and spray painting the inside of the door black but am not confident I'll get good results.

Does anyone know of a company that will silk-screen on glass?

This isn't my microwave, but this is similar to what I would need:

FIDO*98*
AG
Not advise to give, but, genuinely curious on how the glass broke. Just thinking if it happened during normal usage a well written letter to GE may be a customer service opportunity for them regardless of warranty
combat wombat™
AG
Definitely not normal use. Someone was a little overzealous when closing that door.

However, I should write them a letter. It's ridiculous that I can't buy the part for this. It's a simple piece of glass.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Are there any microwaves still in service support that use the same size piece of glass?
AgEng06
AG
Did you say Adamantiun?

Chickenhawk
Just buy a new one. If you can afford one microwave north of $2k, you can afford another one.
flashplayer
AG
$2,600? For that it should have a smoke button, a deep fry button, crock pot mode, and a built in coffee dispenser.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Send Gary79 a message, he uses a website called appliancepros.com or something close. I used them once and they had a part I couldn't find elsewhere. Search his posts.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

I considered masking and spray painting the inside of the door black but am not confident I'll get good results.

Does anyone know of a company that will silk-screen on glass?

Just a thought -- how about a high temp (225 degree F) solid black decal applied to the replacement glass? You can order those on the internet if you think that temp is OK.

EDIT: Disregard my inane suggestion. The other guys are right - you need a metal mesh on that glass to protect you. It may be time to just get out your checkbook and take your licking.
DeWrecking Crew
Don't try to replace it with just tempered glass. That "silk screen" is actually a metal mesh that prevents the microwaves from escaping. The sizing of the mesh is critical. I'd search high and low for a replacement door glass.
IslandAg76
AG
Yes I believe the glass of a microwave is more than just glass but IDK for sure
45-70Ag
AG
When we moved into our house, there was GE microwave that was very similar to yours. It could be used as an oven as well although i didn't trust that because the heat was so intense it would make the cabinets hot.

The heating element went out and i told my wife just go find the nicest microwave you want. Wasn't about to spend the amount needed to get a similar model.
Glish21
AG
Don't replace yourself. Mesh screen is designed to block the radiation. Something to do with the size of the wavelength vs the mesh.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/mwoven.html

Belton Ag
AG
OP if you go through with it be sure to have a Geiger Counter and a lead lined jockstrap handy when you cook your frozen burritos.
combat wombat™
AG
I'd prefer not to deal with leaking microwaves. Guess I'll be buying a new microwave.

I'd rather have an old-school microwave that doesn't cost anything approaching $2,600. However, these microwaves are 30 inches wide. It will cost me much more to have my cabinetry modified for a smaller microwave. The trim kits have seen are tacky.. So I guess I'm spending the money just keep my kitchen looking nice.

This ridiculous oven was not my choice. It was put in by the builder. I want a double ovens. That wasn't an option. They said, ' oh we're putting in Advantium - it is better than oven!". Bull crap.
expresswrittenconsent
Definitely seems like you are not at fault. Dang stupid builder.
FCBlitz
Man I would call and see if GR would credit you some value towards another microwave. Now that I think about it I do not think I have ever seen a $2,000 + microwave.
JYDog90
AG
We have bought all our appliances at searsoutlet.com. And saved a ton! Yeah, it may be a floor model or it may be refurbished, but think about what you're trying to do to yours.

For instance, this may not be yours, but:

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/ge-profile-series-psa9120sfss-1-7-cu-ft-advantium-electric-wall-oven-with-microwave-stainless-steel/118973?uid=44047695&storeZip=94545&sid=IDx20110411x000008&scid=scplp44047695&sc_intid=44047695&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOSyXLaok3-BeiaVeuO3pIBS8Shsf8ai3s73Lvsk8yHEQKGQdcCniPxoCoh0QAvD_BwE
expresswrittenconsent
Isnt 30 inches standard for a microwave? It is for ovens. Why would cabinets need to be repaired/retrofitted?
Whoop Delecto
AG
IronRed13
AG
Don't know your exact model number, but repairclinic.com is my go to for parts.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door/WB36X10315/1167646
SECeded
administrative errors
If I can serve you, I will. I own a Sears HOMETOWN in Colorado, but we can deliver anywhere (especially bulk 10+ appliances in 90 days).

searsmontrose at gmail.com

c/o 07
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
CanyonAg77
AG
Belton Ag said:

OP if you go through with it be sure to have a Geiger Counter and a lead lined jockstrap handy when you cook your frozen burritos.
Geiger counter: detects alpha, beta, and gamma radiation

Microwave oven: emits microwaves
Belton Ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Belton Ag said:

Geiger counter: detects alpha, beta, and gamma radiation

Microwave oven: emits microwaves
Right... but what I said was just in jest. I wasn't actually serious.
Factory Builder Stores
combat wombat -

Do you by chance have the model number for your Advantium? I'd like to pick the brain of our GE representative, just out of curiosity. The picture you posted is a discontinued model, but not from all that long ago, and sometimes parts are reused in model transitions with "updated" parts numbers. It's a longshot, but if I have your model number, I can look into whether GE used the same style under a different name in further model iterations. I don't think there's any enforced rule for how long parts are available, but my personal experience has been that it's not an issue until the appliance is 7-8+ years old.

Other than that, I would echo what other people said here, and don't try to do it yourself on this one because the structural integrity of a microwave is pretty paramount. For replacements, you may not necessarily be relegated to Advantium models; GE has started offering some standard convection microwaves, and they may be able to fit the same footprint. These won't have any sort of speedcook, but the convection feature allows you to use it as a smaller oven without microwaves. Here's an example of a current model:

https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/PWB7030SLSS

If you're in Texas and near one of our showrooms, we'd be happy to quote you anything new or check if we have an option available in clearance. We usually are able to get aggressive pricing on GE compared to what I've seen online. If there's any other way I can help, let me know.

~Rodney Christiansen, Factory Builder Stores
SPF250
AG
administrative errors said:

If I can serve you, I will. I own a Sears HOMETOWN in Colorado, but we can deliver anywhere (especially bulk 10+ appliances in 90 days).

searsmontrose at gmail.com

c/o 07
Wow. Hardware and hemp. Helluva combination.
jwoodmd
flashplayer said:

$2,600? For that it should have a smoke button, a deep fry button, crock pot mode, and a built in coffee dispenser.
For my $2,600 microwave, I went with option B rather than those other add-ons.

CanyonAg77
AG
I wouldn't have thought that outfit cost that much, but it does look good on you.
Chickenhawk
CanyonAg77 said:

I wouldn't have thought that outfit cost that much, but it does look good on you.
combat wombat™
AG
Thank you to those of you who have offered to help.

My microwave is model SCB2001KSS 02.
combat wombat™
AG
I found the door to my microwave oven on eBay. I had gone online to identify the replacement part for my door. Search for that part on eBay. Ordered that part. And when I got it it was for the new model oven.
Factory Builder Stores
All the specifications that I'm finding seem like they originated in 2005, so since it's 14 years out I can see why you're having a hard time finding this. Even though it's technically a GE item, a lot of parts are likely outsourced to companies that handle microwave-related products like Sharp or Panasonic. Judging by the pictures I found, they've probably long since transitioned to these newer styles. I know that's already your experience, but based on what I'm seeing I don't think I can be any help digging up an alternative fix for the existing unit.

If you're not a big fan of the speed cooking functions, then I probably would recommend looking at built-in style convection microwave. Based on the specs, there is some difference in the cutout requirements, so it might take a little work. The major one I see is that the new models are a bit shorter than the old ones and won't fully cover the gap. There may be some other brands that fit a little better, but is this above a GE oven?
combat wombat™
AG
We just went with the new model of basically the same oven. A local company does custom trim kits for these types of installs. They're going to make a trim piece that looks like a vent that will cover the gap from the shorter microwave.

I could have ordered the convection type microwave but had already ordered the Advantium ahead of time. I'm paying about $600 more for a function I don't use. Maybe I'll see if it's actually good for anything since I'm paying for it.
flashplayer
AG
Should have ordered the hottie.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.