Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ben Masters' new documentary

6,483 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jsdaltxag
AUAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just came across this so SIAP. I believe it is set to hit theaters tomorrow. The River & The Wall.
"5 friends journey from El Paso to the Gulf on horses, mountain bikes, & canoes capturing on film the rugged landscapes and exploring the borderlands before the controversial construction of a border wall".
If it's anything close to Unbranded it should be a great documentary. I believe it won a prestigious award at SXSW. Was traveling in Alaska for 1st 2 weeks of March when this was announced so I must have missed it.
nonameag99
Get that liberal crap out of here

I enjoyed unbranded but it was borderline too much liberal crap

You know what will keep the west wild, keep the illegals out

Guess who bankrolled this? Warren Buffet...

The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Aggie_3
Just started it tonight it's pretty good
jsdaltxag
Looks like this thread is goIng to flush out who among us is a Native American. I am always amazed there are so many.

I haven't seen the film so I will reserve judgement.
Burdizzo
AG
I heard an interview with Ben Masters last week on local NPR. They spent a lot of time talking about how they want the border to be like it used to be where there was a mix of cultures that made it unique and all that other nostalgic feel good stuff. I miss all that too. The unfortunate fact is that lifestyle along the border is probably gone for good thanks to all the crime that pervades the region. That barely gets discussed.

Ben Masters seems like a nice guy, and I share his love of the way things used to be. But we have a real problem along the border that few people seem to have the will to fix.

https://www.tpr.org/post/fronteras-its-so-much-more-line-map-texas-filmmakers-southern-border-journey
rootube
AG
nonameag99 said:

I realize that this is dangerous ground but in what sense would you consider increased border security keeping the west "Wild"? I realize you like the idea of security and you like the idea of "Wildness" but I don't think these two things relate to one another the way you think they do.

Edit: Also I am super jealous I couldn't go in this trip with the filmmakers. Looks amazing.
OldCamp
If you dont want the wall then make a documentary about the dangers of illegal immigration and the rise of crime in Mexico so that the problem might be addressed by policy rather than construction projects.

I dont want the wall and I wish the border was the way it used to be but Mexico is slipping into the seventh circle of hell and something has to be done to protect our home
rootube
AG
PineTreeAg said:

If you dont want the wall then make a documentary about the dangers of illegal immigration and the rise of crime in Mexico so that the problem might be addressed by policy rather than construction projects.

I dont want the wall and I wish the border was the way it used to be but Mexico is slipping into the seventh circle of hell and something has to be done to protect our home
Sure. My point is if you want the wall just be honest and say you are afraid of illegal aliens and not that you are somehow keeping the border wild because that is the opposite of the truth.

JSKolache
AG
Definitely notice a political slant in Masters work
rootube
AG
JSKolache said:

Definitely notice a political slant in Masters work
Could be, but he is an Aggie and he has found a way to make a living doing trips that I would pay good money to take myself so hats off to him.
rootube
AG
nonameag99 said:

Technically, according to that link down below it's funded by Howard Buffett not Warren. Although I can't see why it would matter either way. Are we supposed to dislike Warren Buffett?
PFG
AG
This is the OB, where you beat your chest with manufactured outrage at anything that doesn't 100% agree with your point of view. Or else your a GD flaming commie that drinks filtered piss on your kale chip cereal.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
rootube said:

PineTreeAg said:

Sure. My point is if you want the wall just be honest and say you are afraid of illegal aliens and not that you are somehow keeping the border wild because that is the opposite of the truth.

I'm not afraid of them. I'm afraid that this country will cease to exist as we know it (including that beautiful landscape) with an invasion of migrants that bring nothing but open hands and wanting eyes.

I'm willing to sacrifice a piece of landscape for the ability to say that I live in a sovereign nation that defends its borders.
AUAg92
AG
To be clear, I support the wall for many reasons listed above. I have not seen the film yet but when I do I am 100% sure that whatever slant Masters puts on it will not influence my opinion. I will instead try to appreciate the experiences of the 5 and the rugged scenery of our great state. I don't really care who bankrolled it.
rootube
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

rootube said:

PineTreeAg said:

I'm not afraid of them. I'm afraid that this country will cease to exist as we know it (including that beautiful landscape) with an invasion of migrants that bring nothing but open hands and wanting eyes.

I'm willing to sacrifice a piece of landscape for the ability to say that I live in a sovereign nation that defends its borders.
Got it. So what you are saying is that you are afraid, and that a wall will prevent this country from ceasing to exist.

What I think is that we are playing a trick on ourselves and spending billions of tax dollars and using eminent domain to take land from private citizens to build a wall that will essentially prevent US citizens from accessing a major water way that is our right as US citizens to access. Congratulations we have saved our union (Just not the part that goes right up to the Rio Grande)
PFG
AG
Quote:

I will instead try to appreciate the experiences of the 5 and the rugged scenery of our great state. I don't really care who bankrolled it.

Preach.

Finally, a dude who can think for himself without shunning something and turning every damn thing into political D measuring, posturing contest.
Texas 1836
AG
rootube said:

rootube said:

PineTreeAg said:

Got it. So what you are saying is that you are afraid, and that a wall will prevent this country from ceasing to exist.

What I think is that we are playing a trick on ourselves and spending billions of tax dollars and using eminent domain to take land from private citizens to build a wall that will essentially prevent US citizens from accessing a major water way that is our right as US citizens to access. Congratulations we have saved our union (Just not the part that goes right up to the Rio Grande)
I think we just found Ben Master's Mom ...

And thanks for confirming that his "documentary" is loaded with one-sided politics.

rootube
AG
Texas 1836 said:

rootube said:

rootube said:

PineTreeAg said:

And thanks for confirming that his "documentary" is loaded with one-sided politics.
It's interesting that your username is Texas 1836. That was the last year that Mexico held territory north of the Rio Grande. You know until your little pet project is complete.
Texas 1836
AG
rootube said:

Texas 1836 said:

rootube said:

rootube said:

PineTreeAg said:

It's interesting that your username is Texas 1836. That was the last year that Mexico held territory north of the Rio Grande. You know until your little pet project is complete.
Remember to kiss Ben on the cheek when you tuck him in ...

rootube
AG
You still going with the Ben's mom thing? Come on Texas 1836 you can dig a little deeper. You know like an illegal going under your fence.
MOCO9
AG
Some of us may disagree with Ben's position on a border wall but he is a great outdoorsman and an even better guy.
AnScAggie
AG
Until you've paid for broken doors and windows, to replace refrigerators and freezers they leave open to cool off when 8' away is a thermostat, mend fences they drive through trying to escape from BP or have to pick up trash, milk jugs, luggage and clothes they leave behind you really don't have a right to question others. My wife and I specifically bought our STX ranch where we did to escape the above that was a constant at our place in Carrizo. If your backyard has no fence and you don't mind people walking through and treating it as your own, then you're a better man than me.
rootube
AG
AnScAggie said:

Until you've paid for broken doors and windows, to replace refrigerators and freezers they leave open to cool off when 8' away is a thermostat, mend fences they drive through trying to escape from BP or have to pick up trash, milk jugs, luggage and clothes they leave behind you really don't have a right to question others. My wife and I specifically bought our STX ranch where we did to escape the above that was a constant at our place in Carrizo. If your backyard has no fence and you don't mind people walking through and treating it as your own, then you're a better man than me.
You may want to read my posts again. I was stating my opinion. Which many disagree with on here and that is fine. Normally I steer clear of the politics board because I consider it a sewer. What got my goat was someone coming on the outdoors board which I LOVE and claiming that building that dumb wall would somehow make the west more wild. That is false.

For what it's worth I grew up on the border (Much closer than Carrizo) where I believe some of that movie is filmed. I do not doubt that you may have had a bad experience but you really don't know anything about mine.
Texas 1836
AG
rootube said:

AnScAggie said:

You may want to read my posts again. I was stating my opinion. Which many disagree with on here and that is fine. Normally I steer clear of the politics board because I consider it a sewer. What got my goat was someone coming on the outdoors board which I LOVE and claiming that building that dumb wall would somehow make the west more wild. That is false.

For what it's worth I grew up on the border (Much closer than Carrizo) where I believe some of that movie is filmed. I do not doubt that you may have had a bad experience but you really don't know anything about mine.
We have our place for sale right now that we've had almost 50 years. We're 6 or 7 miles from the river. With Don Houser if you think I'm making it up. For the same reasons AnSC said. It's just not safe to go down there anymore. Our place is remote, so whatever happens, you are on your own.
We gave up trying to keep it locked. Just left stuff that wouldn't hurt too bad when it was gone or torn up when you got back. And like the thermostat, the jackasses would kick in the door before trying the knob, which was left unlocked.

rootube
AG
Texas 1836 said:

rootube said:

AnScAggie said:

We have our place for sale right now that we've had almost 50 years. We're 6 or 7 miles from the river. With Don Houser if you think I'm making it up. For the same reasons AnSC said. It's just not safe to go down there anymore. Our place is remote, so whatever happens, you are on your own.
We gave up trying to keep it locked. Just left stuff that wouldn't hurt too bad when it was gone or torn up when you got back. And like the thermostat, the jackasses would kick in the door before trying the knob, which was left unlocked.
Did you try building a fence? Just kidding:-) But seriously how big is your place?
Texas 1836
AG
rootube said:

Texas 1836 said:

rootube said:

AnScAggie said:

Did you try building a fence? Just kidding:-) But seriously how big is your place?
What difference does that make?

rootube
AG
None. I would just love to get some land back there depending on how big and where it is. The problem for most everyone is it's so dang remote you almost have to either go all in and move there or recognize you will make it out there a couple of times during hunting season.
AnScAggie
AG
Point taken. I'll still agree to disagree with you about the need for a barrier along the border.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Or, walk away from it because the current illegal immigration problem has gotten completely out of hand.
rootube
AG
AnScAggie said:

Point taken. I'll still agree to disagree with you about the need for a barrier along the border.
You and just about everyone on Texags! I'm not insulted or anything. At least you have lived there so have at least some reference point unlike almost everyone else who have strong opinions about something the know almost nothing about.
rootube
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Or, walk away from it because the current illegal immigration problem has gotten completely out of hand.
DM me when you find someone walking away from their land on the border. I'll be waiting.
SanAntoneAg
AG
rootube said:

SanAntoneAg said:

DM me when you find someone walking away from their land on the border. I'll be waiting.

Okay, since you're nonsensically splitting hairs, walk away from their property by selling it because of the current illegal immigration problem. Is that better?
dr_boogs
AG
Guys, don't feed the troll. Just flag it and ask mods to move it to politics board. For someone who claims to love the OB he sure did his best to derail this thread. The schtick is tiresome and completely devoid of logic or facts. Ignore function is a wonderful feature.
rootube
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

rootube said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Okay, since you're nonsensically splitting hairs, walk away from their property by selling it because of the current illegal immigration problem. Is that better?
Here's my experience of land ownership on the border at least where I grew up. To be fair, I have not been back for many years but I am sure that it is the same now as it has been for forever. There are a small number of families who own absolutely enormous ranches. There are also much smaller parcels that are either owned by someone who wants their little place in the country like many of us do and people who go there to hunt during deer season.

I think of the area where I grew up as a lot like the hill country west of Austin only it seems like it is as far away as Mars.
Texas 1836
AG
rootube said:

SanAntoneAg said:

rootube said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Here's my experience of land ownership on the border at least where I grew up. To be fair, I have not been back for many years but I am sure that it is the same now as it has been for forever. There are a small number of families who own absolutely enormous ranches. There are also much smaller parcels that are either owned by someone who wants their little place in the country like many of us do and people who go there to hunt during deer season.

I think of the area where I grew up as a lot like the hill country west of Austin only it seems like it is as far away as Mars.
Well, thanks for lecturing us on the current state of affairs ...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.