Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Army Rifle In 6.8mm

7,102 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nortex97
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
xMusashix said:

Is it just me or does the article say 6.8 but the flyer says 7.62, 6.5 and 5.56?

What am I missing?
It's from a fakenews/conspiracy theory/clickbait website, so....
CT'97
AG
Quote:

An M16A4 with MK262 is getting around around 2,850 fps out of a 20",
I was under the impression from talking with some AMU guys that they were getting a lot closer to 3000 fps from the MK262. Might have been the mod 2 stuff that was loaded hotter with a more stable powder.

Either way, I get your point and agree Gen Milley is off base on this. Infantry combat happens at 200 meters and in. It has been that way forever, literally.
nortex97
AG
Update: the Army picked Sig today.

mosdefn14
AG
Does this mean we should start seeing more/cheaper factory load options for 6.8spc?
aggieforester05
AG
Wrong 6.8, this is a .277 Fury. Three piece cartridge design with up the 80K PSI. Impressive design but doubt it'll ever be cheap. Shot my SPC today with $27 per $20 round box of target rounds, ouch. IMO the SPC would be a better choice due to weight, recoil, size, and cost, Not sure why the army is going back to a battle rifle for a squad rifle
nortex97
AG
The contenders all built a rifle around a special round; the others used a composite case. This 6.8 has less recoil than an AR 5.56, but vastly more power, hence the steel at the end. It's interesting, the downside is the rifle is heavier than an AR, but if the army scales up to buy/produce many millions of these rounds the cost/round could wind up dropping. This is about the most 'conventional' option the army had/was offered (they basically told the competitors it had to be 6.8 only).

Quote:

The SIG-LMG lightweight belt-fed machine gun and SIG MCX-SPEAR Rifle are purpose-built to harness the energy of the SIG FURY 6.8 Common Cartridge Ammunition enabling greater range and increased lethality while reducing the soldier's load on the battlefield. Both the SIG-LMG and MCX-SPEAR deliver significant weapon and technology advancements to the soldier and provide a solution for battlefield overmatch in comparison to the current M249 and M4/M4A1.

The U.S. Army's procurement of the NGSW System marks the beginning of an era where combat weapons are coupled with a suppressor as standard issue equipment. The SIG SLX Suppressors are designed to reduce harmful gas backflow, sound signature, and flash. SIG SLX Suppressors feature a patented quick-detach design for easy installation and removal.

So, if anyone is dropping $8K on one (hey, it comes with the suppressor), I am curious what they think of it after shooting….

Really it's just an evolution/derivative of the Sig MCx line I think (spear).

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.