Outdoors
Sponsored by

New sunglasses - Costa, Smith, or Maui's Jim

20,432 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by FunkyTownAg
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woods Ag said:

lol it's not about any amount of strength. I know you're joking, and it may just be me that notices. I've bought and wear a lot of different sunglasses and these glass Costas are the only ones where I noticed that it's weighing on my nose.

If I'm outside busting my ass all day be it hiking in the mountains, yard work, or working out, I don't want to notice my glasses.

If you're a fisherman, I can see why it wouldn't matter and these may be the glasses for you.

I'm the same way. I get a weird sorta headache really fast from heavier glass. Almost like it's straining the muscles in my eyes.
maverick12
AG
I wore Costa's for years, but the lens coating on my last couple pairs of peeled so I switched to Maui Jim Mavericks (aviator style). They are amazingly light weight, especially for an aviator style and the frames have been incredibly durable. I can't imagine going back to Costa's.
mpl35
AG
bam02 said:

Woods Ag said:

lol it's not about any amount of strength. I know you're joking, and it may just be me that notices. I've bought and wear a lot of different sunglasses and these glass Costas are the only ones where I noticed that it's weighing on my nose.

If I'm outside busting my ass all day be it hiking in the mountains, yard work, or working out, I don't want to notice my glasses.

If you're a fisherman, I can see why it wouldn't matter and these may be the glasses for you.

I'm the same way. I get a weird sorta headache really fast from heavier glass. Almost like it's straining the muscles in my eyes.

This. I hate the weight.

AZAG08
AG
I'm the opposite when it comes to the weight -- I prefer the feel of the costas with glass lenses
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
maverick12 said:

I wore Costa's for years, but the lens coating on my last couple pairs of peeled so I switched to Maui Jim Mavericks (aviator style). They are amazingly light weight, especially for an aviator style and the frames have been incredibly durable. I can't imagine going back to Costa's.
Were you getting 580p or 580g lenses?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TXAG 05
AG
mpl35 said:

bam02 said:

Woods Ag said:

This. I hate the weight.

Currently wearing glass Mag Bays, which is a bigger frame, and can hardly feel them. You guys sound extra sensitive or something.
Woods Ag
AG
Guess we ain't as manly as you...
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Woods Ag said:

Guess we ain't as manly as you...
maverick12
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

maverick12 said:

They were polarized glass. It has been a while so i don't recall if they were the 580 lenses.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
maverick12 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

maverick12 said:

They were polarized glass. It has been a while so i don't recall if they were the 580 lenses.
Which coating? The glass lenses should have internal mirror coat... that shouldn't have been possible... unless it was before they started doing that and I'm not sure when they did.
Al Bula
AG
Can of worms time.

My favorite fishing Costas broke at the ear piece this morning. I noticed one ear piece was not touching the surface it was sitting on like the other ear piece so I fiddled with it and it broke with barely any pressure. These are 580G green mirror tuna alley.

I will proceed with a warranty claim and see how it goes, but I'm open to Smith for fishing. My question is this: im seeing highly discounted Smiths on eBay and steep and cheap. Why are these able to be sold for such a low price, like 125-75? Any chance these are fake China shades?

Second question: do the Smith lenses color purposes generally match costas? I.e. green for flats/inshore, blue for deeper watch, brown for ultra low light, etc.
rather be fishing
AG
High probability you're buying fakes.

I'm a big fan of the polarized brown for an all conditions lens.
Mas89
AG
Smith Parallel max 2 with brown lenses. Light weight and don't break easily like similar Maui Jim's.
Costas were always too heavy imo. The Smiths come with extra lenses. And you can get different colors to change out.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm on my third, I think, pair of MJs -- all purchased at eye doctors. The first two at my own doctor, then he quit selling the brand for some reason (or stopped being able to get them). I highly recommend going that route rather than just picking them up at Sunglass Hut or another similar retailer. They have catalogs and access to ordering banks that other retailers will tell you the model and lens combo aren't available. That's what happened with my last pair -- I wasn't finding them as being available but the doctor's office called and got them ordered. No more expensive than what I would have paid anywhere else. And they weren't prescription.

I've also got several pairs of Oakleys, one or two I've had for many years. I'm to the point now where I can't really be outside without a pair of sunglasses so I have pairs stashed virtually everywhere: an old MJ pair in my vehicle, an Oakley pair in a backpack, and the rest in their case where I can get to them when needed. I use my old M-Frames for safety work glasses and shooting.
ktownag08
AG
Maui Jim customer for life...

Their frames are incredible (lenses are too). Strong, light, and comfortable (to me). Long story short, they prevented an orbital fracture a couple years back. Doc said they were the only reason I wasn't getting surgery.
AgDad121619
AG
ktownag08 said:

Maui Jim customer for life...

Their frames are incredible (lenses are too). Strong, light, and comfortable (to me). Long story short, they prevented an orbital fracture a couple years back. Doc said they were the only reason I wasn't getting surgery.
is Maui Jim also the goto for prescription lens? I have pretty bad eyes and have been reluctant to get prescription sun glasses because of the thickness but am ready to get past that and get a good pair for the water
aggiepaintrain
AG
MJ and no other
HalifaxAg
AG
Owned them all and MJ was the best by far.

Currently wearing some prescription Costas and they are good but don't block as well as MJ.
Al Bula
AG
Lots of love for Maui Jims. I'm not opposed for a future purchase. If costa dicks around with me, I'm open to better vendors.

I've got a fishing trip coming up soon and I need some quick. Went ahead and got some Smith Guides Choice. Costa/luxxotica warranty site is down (for me) at this time and I couldn't get a replacement as soon as I need them anyway. And it sucks because my tuna alleys that broke were the glasses I had on for my first snook, tarpon and bonefish on fly.

Thanks for the recommendations.
rather be fishing
AG
I've got nothing but great things to say about Smith's customer service. I've ordered prescription sunglasses through them and also had a pair of ski goggles warrantied and they were fast and didn't give me the run around.

Their glasses are also half the weight of Costas.
mpl35
AG
MJs for me. I sold them in college as my part time gig as an optician. Loved them ever since. 3 pairs in 20 years. Not bad!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
rather be fishing said:

High probability you're buying fakes.

I'm a big fan of the polarized brown for an all conditions lens.

Me too. Smith's Guides
FunkyTownAg
AG
Im a Maui Jim fan but the new Bajio have caught my eye. Apparently its all the guys that started Costa started Bajio when Costa sold out
stevopike
AG
try bajio sunglasses, formed from x-Costa people
Aggieangler93
AG
I've started wearing Hook and Bullet's inshore lense and love them. They worked with Leica on development and I really enjoy them for inshore use.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I usually buy mine off of steepandcheap or sierra. Are there any other sites I should check? Damn lens popped out of my ray bans and hit the concrete.
tlepoC
AG
Bajia looks really good. Hope the dealers have lots of stock to try on. Likely my next pair
stevopike
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I usually buy mine off of steepandcheap or sierra. Are there any other sites I should check? Damn lens popped out of my ray bans and hit the concrete.
try calling ray ban and order another set of lens.
WaldoWings
I have had costas with glass, but I guess I am weird in that I never really notice a big difference in how i see through them. My main qualifier on sunglasses is if the hinge stays tight enough to keep the sunglasses from opening and falling off while they are on my shirt collar. My Nikes have been the best in that area.
Maximus Johnson
AG
Has anyone tried the Leupold glasses? I am in the market for a new pair but am curious on quality and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that keeps them in stock to try on.
FunkyTownAg
AG
If in DFW Scheels had every model to try on last I stopped in
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.